Menu

Greek

momtolgd

Ok, so after my worries yesterday about having too many books for this year, my 9yo ds said to me last night..."I really want to learn Greek mom. I love learning about the Greek myths and would like to learn the language too." I had planned on doing the Greek Alphabet Code Cracker and then moving on to The Great Latin Adventure. His comments though make me wonder if we should just do a year of Greek and put Latin off until 5th grade?

What Greek would you recommend? Would Hey Andrew! Level 1 work well with the Greek Alphabet Code Cracker? That way dd (almost 7) could join in too if she is interested. Has anyone done these together? Or maybe Hey Andrew! level 2? (Does a level of Hey Andrew! last an entire year?) And if the interest is still there after that, move onto Greek for Children or Elementary Greek?

Should Latin be put on hold for the year if we decide to do Greek this year? Can they both be done at the same time?

I hadn't planned on doing any indepth Greek, but will do it if his interest is there. I might even enjoy it myself! I still believe in the importance of Latin as well, and like the looks of the Great Latin Adventure book 1 (I already have it.) How can we do both?

Thanks.

i wouldn't start two new languages at the same time: start one, let it settle in a bit, then six months or a year later start the second one in addition.

My two pennies: I think it's very worthwhile to start a living language while children are small, then add in the classical ones later. Children pick up much better accents if they start pronouncing a foreign language early.

Best wishes

Laura

I started Latin & Greek with my oldest son when he was in 3rd grade. Here's the progression I used:

3rd: Greek Alphabetarion & Prima Latina

4th: Elementary Greek 1 & Latina Christiana I

5th: EG 2 & Basic Language Principles with Latin Background

6th: EG 3 & LCII

7th: New Testament Greek for Beginners (1/3 of the book) by Machen & Lingua Latina/Latin Alive

8th: New Testament Greek for Beginners (1/3 of the book) by Machen & Wheelock's Latin (1/2 of the book)

Greek has been the most successful of our foreign language studies. I haven't been as pleased with our Latin studies, but I think that's because there are too many programs available, and I hestitated to use the Wheelock's program earlier on. In hindsight, I should have started using Wheelock's right after LCII, and I should have skipped Basic Language Principles with Latin Background.

In 9th grade my oldest son will complete both NT Greek for Beginners and Wheelock's Latin. At that point, he will continue both languages in high school by reading original works.

HTH!

Could I do spanish along with Greek, and put Latin off completely until next year? Maybe Spanish for Children? Any other recommendations? The kids have both expressed interest in learning spanish.

Trying to sort all of this out. :confused:

I think you could. You might want to wait 3-6 months between introducing each language to minimize confusion, though. If you want to combine them for Spanish, La Clase Divertida is fun and geared to elementary aged children. We're doing LCD 2 combined with reading children's books in both Spanish and English (like Green Eggs and Ham/Huevos Verdes Con Jamon).

Just a couple of comments: your 7yo dd could join in with Code Cracker too, if she wants. No need to do Hey Andrew just to include her. Both just cover the alphabet -- Code Cracker just does it better. (There is more practice in HA, but there's no reason you can't practice more with CC...) But I'm not a fan of HA.

If your ds really wants to do Greek instead of Latin (for now, adding in Latin later), I think that's fine. Learning either language (I wouldn't count the alphabet as part of the learning time) will make learning the other easier when the time comes. And yes, you can certainly do one classical language (mostly written work) and one modern language (taught largely in a conversational manner at this age).

What are your long-term goals? Which foreign language(s) do you plan to continue? Personally, I would not do Spanish for just one year. I would determine which languages are important for my homeschool and focus on those as I prioritize our school schedule. For me, one year of foreign language would not produce the benefits I would like to see in my child, and therefore, the time would be better spent elsewhere.

HTH!

I don't plan on doing any foreign language for only one year...unless after a year we decide not to continue for some reason.

The only one I am certain we will do for several years or more at this point is Latin. I'm just not sure whether to go ahead and give Greek a try since the interest is there now or go ahead with Latin. I would be ok with starting Latin in 5th grade or in the spring of this year even if that works out that way, and doing both if my ds really wants to.

As for Spanish...I'm thinking maybe just some fun exposure to the language would satisfy them for the time being. I have been thinking about this a lot today and don't see us devoting a lot of time to spanish right now. I'm sure at some point we will though.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm still :confused: but it is looking up!