Menu

What is your FAVORITE reading curriculum?

Talking letter factory

Webster's Speller

Blend Phonics is also good for whole class phonics instruction, but you could teach Webster that way with higher grade level results at the end.

My phonics concentration game is also good for whole class instruction, you have them play in groups of 2 to 4 and walk around if they have questions or disputes about whether or not something is a word. (Depend on their ages, you could incorporate dictionary practice into this and have them take turns looking it up themselves.)

My online phonics lessons for older remedial reading students. (Webster for them as well, but my lessons can be done on their own first, making it easier for them to do Webster's Speller because most of the syllables are taught in my lessons.)

Edit: McGuffey readers are also good because they can eventually learn the markings and learn to sound out the difficult words on their own before moving on to the readings. (The 1879 blue and orange cover books, not the mott media edition. The mott media edition is whole word based.)

Edited by ElizabethB

McRuffy

:iagree:

It's rare for me to rave about a product :lol:, but I bought McRuffy for my son this year, and I LOVE it. I used K12 Phonics with my girls years ago, and McRuffy is similar, only a lot more user friendly. I also bought the "Dynamic Phonics Learning Book" by McRuffy, which covers the phonics basics for K-2nd to work through and make sure he doesn't have any gaps. For a $15 book, it's an amazing resource. I could have taught reading to all my kids from the beginning with just that one book. I wish I'd found it a long time ago!

I am looking for opinions on your favorite curriculum for elementary...from teaching them letter recognition and sounds to phonics to elementary reading. What works the best for you?

The Writing Road to Reading, and the Spalding organization conducts teacher training workshops that you could send your teachers to in the States. :D

Phonics Pathways combined with Montessori games and various readers (Bob books, Modern Curriculum Press, and those early reader books that are not cat in the hat but have him up in the right hand corner...).

I don't think there have to be bells and whistles in a curriculum. I also don't think they need to be able to recite every phonic rule. Personally, I think children benefit from being read to a ton, then allowed to explore via writing materials in their play (making signs for block structures, learning their names and the names in the family, making lists and "recipes" in dramatic play), THEN formal introduction to letters and sounds around 4 or 5 years old.

I believe teachers (moms, whatever) should teach all the consonants, short vowels, and several combos to make long vowel sounds, then hand them tons to practice on, and let the harder phonics stuff come more naturally. I think phonics should gradually be taken out of "reading" time and put into spelling--that spelling is the proper place for more advanced phonic constructs. I don't have a problem with embellishing early readers' phonics instruction with a few sight words or words that they truly want to know but can't get sound out (as long as reading by phonics is the main way, iykwim).

There ya go.