Menu

Heading off to college.... What to bring?

StaceyL in Canada

My oldest (19) is heading off to college four hours away in a few days (sniff). He'll be living in a townhouse-style residence with 5 other guys. We already know of certain items he needs to bring along--linens, towels, kitchen ware, etc. What has your son or daughter said they wish they had brought along , but hadn't thought of, when they first headed off to college or university?

Well, not something he forgot, but something good to bring!--Laptop lock. Bolts to the desk or whatever so you can leave your laptop on your desk. Also something to carry his stuff to the shower in--mine refused to use a bucket or bin, and doesn't like juggling everything now! For some reason, I think he assumed he'd be able to leave his shampoo, razor, etc in the bathroom like at home! lol

band aides, butterfly bandages, antiseptic, antibiotic cream, tylenol, cold medicine, allergy medicine and directions on when/how to use them.

skateboard? mine uses his to go get groceries.

setup a skype account for you and for him before he leaves.

is he going to need a printer? thumb drive?

camera.

pictures of friends and family.

extra yo-yo strings

shoes for the shower. robe or something for walking around the townhouse in.

band aides, butterfly bandages, antiseptic, antibiotic cream, tylenol, cold medicine, allergy medicine and directions on when/how to use them.

... and a thermometer.

Also, consider a flashlight; we bought my daughter a hand-cranked one (no batteries).

Regards,

Kareni