Menu

What is your favorite Baby Sling/Carrier?

I am having a baby soon and I am wanting to buy a baby sling/carrier. I have looked into the Moby Wrap, Maya Wrap, Mei Tai, Hotslings, and a few others I cannot remember. What brand of baby sling/carrier did you like? Also, is one better to use with newborns?

Edited by Guest

I had a Kozy Carrier mei tai, and I loved it. It made life so much easier from about 6 months onward. Tiny babies can go in it too, but I didn't have it when my DD was that little. I recommend it to everyone, even if you have to go to TheBabywearer.com and buy the cheapest one you can find used. For us, it was the perfect combo of padding, materials, sturdiness, and style.

I liked a stretchy wrap (like Moby) for the fall months, especially having older kids to keep up with and take places. The ring sling was great for nursing a newborn on the go and for being adjustable around my evolving summer-to-winter wardrobe ... but I always felt somewhat hampered by the shoulder, and the ring sling just wasn't as conducive to "going on about life" as was the wrap (which I could push up over my shoulders and retain full movement of my arms. Same with Hotslings, which had the additional inconvenience of being so size-specific that I went through three sizes in my first four months postpartum as my weight adjusted.

Congratulations on your newest child! :)

After the baby is about 17 lbs I would recommend the Ergo. It is awesome. I never did get the hang of the hip carry, but the front and back work great. They have people doing kick-boxing moves with the baby strapped on them in the video. They are not kidding... It really is that good.

Before that I had a ring sling. I only had one problem, but it was pretty major at times. The ring was too big and would hit his head when he was trying to nurse.

My lil guy outgrew his sling at only 3 months (19lbs). I got an Ergo when he was 4 months old and I still use it. Love it Love it!!! It was really easy to nurse him while walking around with it too. He is a bit too tall for that now, but it worked for a long time, well over a year. (turned 2 in April and is 3 feet tall). I can still use the Ergo, it is just harder to nurse him in it now.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I loved a Mei Tai with my DS. He loved it too! We started using it when he was a week old and after awhile, he would settle down just knowing he was getting strapped on. I had one with an adjustable bottom which was a wonderful feature. It had lightly padded straps which made it so much more comfy for me and him. I believe it was a MeiTaiBaby. Though I don't know if the mom still makes them anymore. Oh, I almost forgot, we could use this same carrier for our kids till they were 3 years old or so with no problem. Many people over the years stopped to ask about the carrier, I should have asked the mom who made them for a kick back since I sent many people searching for her carriers.

I LOVE the Hugger Sling made by Lil' Bugger! My college roommate happens to be the designer of this sling, but I would still choose it over all the others. It is so versatile, comfortable, and stylish. I used it from newborn to toddlerhood. My hubby would use it too, because I had a neutral design. Here's the link: http://www.lilbugger.biz/15422/index.html