Menu

Anyone sew their own baby wrap?

Okay, I'm still looking at the options for baby carriers (trying to decide between a HotSling and a Tie One On baby wrap). It is a good thing this baby isn't due until October because it might take me that long to decide. If money weren't an issue, I would happily buy both because I can see each being useful in their own way.

Soooo, I can sew a bit. My mother (who lives 7 hours away or she would TOTALLY be given this project) was a professional seamstress for years and she taught me a thing or two. The internet is full of free patterns for both types of baby carriers and they look like they shouldn't be too complicated (that is also what I say about every home improvement project I do--denial isn't just a river in Egypt).

Is there anything special about these baby carriers that would keep me from making them myself? Has anyone made one?

Yes, I had a thick, padded one I loved for my son but wanted something light after my youngest daughter was born. I made one of a light cotton material from one of the patterns found online, based on the maya wrap, I believe? I used extra strong thread and sewed over it more than recommended, then simply checked it now and then to make sure it was still in good shape. It stayed strong.

I got the loops from a place that sells livestock supplies. Love, love, loved it! Since it was custom designed it was extra special and took no time at all to sew. I'm sad she is my last one. I should have made it years earlier.

Super easy!

Sometimes WalMart has great fabric on the $1/yard table. You want something that is almost gauze-like. Do NOT use regular cotton/poly blend fabrics.

You'll need about 5-6yds of fabric and will make it about 21-22" wide (I always just folded over the yardage and it was fine). If you have access to a serger it will be a breeze but you can also just fold over the edges and stitch around the fabric. And you're done. :)

MaiTais are easy to make too but they are not ideal for newborns.

Yes, I had a thick, padded one I loved for my son but wanted something light after my youngest daughter was born. I made one of a light cotton material from one of the patterns found online, based on the maya wrap, I believe? I used extra strong thread and sewed over it more than recommended, then simply checked it now and then to make sure it was still in good shape. It stayed strong.

I got the loops from a place that sells livestock supplies. Love, love, loved it! Since it was custom designed it was extra special and took no time at all to sew. I'm sad she is my last one. I should have made it years earlier.

It sounds like you are talking about a ring sling. That's what the Maya is.

I bought fabric to make my own Maya wrap, but I haven't done it yet. I forgot to pick up the rings at JoAnn's when I was in "big town" last week and won't be going back until after Keaton is born, so I'll have to order some online. I just couldn't see spending that much on fabric when I can make it so much cheaper and have more fabric choices!

Is there anything special about these baby carriers that would keep me from making them myself? Has anyone made one?

The ring sling is very easy to make. Get the rings from slingrings.com--they are only $4 per pair and they are specifically made to carry the weight of a child. The ring sling I made has a "cap" flap that can be turned over onto the shoulder to help distribute the weight. You only need about 1 1/2-2 yds fabric. I made mine over a year ago, but I think I remember it taking less than an hour to make. I think the pattern I used is a maya wrap pattern.

Just to clarify...we are talking about different things.

The OP mentioned that she is deciding between the HotSling and Tie One On Baby Wrap. Not a ring sling.

The HotSling is not a ring sling. It is like a pocket carrier

The Tie One On is not a ring sling. It is a wrap. This is the one I mentioned in my post on how to make.

A Maya Wrap IS a ring sling.

Some of you are mentioning to her the ring slings, which is completely different than the ones she mentioned trying to decide between. Ring slings are great but can tend to droop. The benefit of a wrap is that it holds baby close to your body.

I'll step down from my babywearing soapbox now. ;)

Wayyyy back when I bought a New Native Baby Sling, and I ended up sewing myself so many that I sold some.

3 seams, that was all. And I LOVED that sling.

After googling the New Native looks like a Hot Sling. If I remember correctly, I used about 1 -1.5 yards (I bought one sling and made a pattern) and then I used very sturdy material. My favorite material came from a custom curtain maker who was a friend. Gorgeous, knock out patterns.

Edited by justamouse