Menu

Secular 1st grade options

Cera

I had planned to do K this year but it is proving not to be the right choice for our oldest so we are going to move on to 1st grade. Unfortunately this means that I am back to having no clue what I am doing (I had just really gotten comfortable with our approach for K).

What are your favorite secular first grade options? We will need Math, LA, History, Science, the works.

Thanks

Dd5 is K this year but is really working at a 1st grade level. We are using Singapore 1a/1b, WWE and FLL, ETC (which we will stop after book 6 and then start All About Spelling), and Song School Latin. We are also using R.E.A.L. Science, it is secular. All of these have been big hits in our house.

For history we are using Tapestry of Grace, which isn't secular. But we are also using Story of the World 1 (Ancient History) as a read-aloud; that book and the activity guide that goes with it is secular (although I know some people may say it isn't 100% secular).

Hope you find something that works!! :001_smile:

We have used and liked:

SOTW (secular "enough" for us)

History Odyssey

Right Start Math

Singapore math is also a good choice, but RS is better for us

We used Living Learning Life Science last year, but switched to REAL Science Odyssey for Earth/Space - Living Learning books did not have Earth/Space samples on their website and didn't respond to several inquiries about them.

First Language Lessons

Writing With Ease

Explode the Code

Handwriting Without Tears

New American Cursive via StartWrite (not the MP copybooks, not secular)

All About Spelling

Does that about cover it? :D

For first grade w/ dd, we used FLL, Spelling Workout (which didn't work for her) and then AAS, SOTW, Miquon, Developmental Math, REAL Science Odyssey, Handwriting without Tears. I think that's it?

For ds, we'll probably be using FLL, WWE, AAS, SOTW, HWT, Right Start, and WTM-style science. For music we'll use the Classics for Kids podcasts and for art we'll use a couple of Usborne books we already have.

HTH!

If money is tight I like :

Headsprout(for reading) , The Reading lessons or 100 EZ for reading. Take your pick.

Math (technically I like CLe but it is christian) so Saxon would be next or MUS

Writing - WWE

Spelling - my daughter just loves to spell words. So I pick some off the top of my head and have her spell them in a composition book. Words like :mat , hot, top.. etc. Her number words and sight words.

Handwriting: HWT

If money isn't an issue : K12 all the way. I have used their K and 1st and so far have not been disappointed with the curriculum at all.

We use it through a cyberschool though( our state offers it) because it is pricey. But I recommend their math, reading and language arts at the minimum from them. We like the History and Science too. Art is okay. Music, well they need to revamp.

My first grader loves The Young Scientist Club. In the past, my littler ones have benefited from Home Science Adventures. We also like Real Science 4 Kids, though there's an argument to be made that it's not secular. I think Level 1 can definitely be used in first grade. TOPS are also awesome and secular.

What was your approach for K?

What is the argument for HOTW not being secular?

Our plan for Kindergarten was very basic, 15 minutes or so of formal math and 15 of phonics then history and science through the library, field trips, etc. I was going to wait on spelling and such for 1st grade and just focus on solid reading skills.

I guess the problem is that she already knows how to read and most of the LA K stuff seems focused on learning this skill. We did 100 ez lessons last year when she asked to learn and she is fairly comfortable at this point.

For math I have to honestly admit that I didn't know how much she knew. Somehow it just slipped by me and I want to find a formal curriculum so I don't forget to teach her something or get too far ahead on just one topic if that makes sense (for example, we forgot to teach her to tell time).

We looked at K12 as our state has it as a cyber school cutoff but she didn't meet the age cutoff. I didn't realize you could buy it privately.

I honestly never thought this would be so confusing. We used to laugh at the education majors in college when they complained about how hard there work was. I am starting to feel a bit guilty for that.

For math I have to honestly admit that I didn't know how much she knew. Somehow it just slipped by me and I want to find a formal curriculum so I don't forget to teach her something or get too far ahead on just one topic if that makes sense (for example, we forgot to teach her to tell time).

Have you looked at Math on the Level? It has a concept chart so you can go as far ahead as you like, but still have a list there so you don't forget to teach something. You can go off on a tangent and come back later.

Rosie

I love Abeka for Math. It is completely secular in use (though you might care about where your money goes. May I suggest that you start small? Do you see all of the subjects in my sig that we are breaking from?:D

Writing With Ease & All About Spelling -- DD loves these and learns a lot. They are necessary foundational skills and easy for the teacher to teach and to work into the day.

First Language Lessons-- Good, but not altogether necessary in 1st grade. I'd rather get WWE in instead if I have to choose one.

Ancient Explorations -- Secular SOTW all scheduled and planned for you, including what pages to read in the extra books (all new from Amazon.com).

WP Buzz and Bite--not secular.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I would do:

Phonics: ETC

Handwriting: Getty-Dubay/Portland State Italic book A

Writing: Write About Me/Write About My World

Reading: Sonlight's I Can Read It and then readers galore (my favorites are "I Can Read!")

Math: Horizons K or 1, depending on ability -OR- Singapore

Science: REAL Science Odyssey Life Science

History: SOTW 1 -OR- World Geography & Cultures (a la Galloping the Globe)

Phonics: AlphaPhonics and ETC Online

Reading: McGuffey and various books, including Robinson Curr. books which we have a ton of (stress various books as McG is not exactly secular)

Literature: tied to history (SOTW AG) and some WWE books

Writing: WWE

Grammar: FLL

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears

Math: MEP and Horizons

Science: Elemental Science (Biology)

History: SOTW 1 (ancients)

Latin: Song School Latin'

Art/Music: Harmony Fine Arts 1, Simply Music (piano)

Logic: start with Lollipop Logic then Logic Safari

PE: Presidential Fitness Challenge goals but various activities to reach those goals.

Nice full schedule but not everything is done every day while many are pretty short lessons (SOTW being the most involved course above).

Edited by 2J5M9K

What is the argument for HOTW not being secular?

I am a Christian although I don't really look for religious materials in schooling. Just to say though that someone else might explain this better. But what I've seen as the concern is that SOTW includes stories like Abraham or Moses as fact. I've also seen a lot of criticism from Christians that it isn't Christian enough. Personally, I find it pretty neutral. I would think it would be easy to either skip the parts you don't like or to just say after reading it "You know some people believe that...but we believe...."

We are using for 1st grade the following:

OPGTR- finishing it up

WWE- Which I like a lot and ds really likes.

FLL- Ds likes this and it's fairly light. We do 2-3 lessons a week.

Singapore Math- I really love Singapore and it's approach to Math. We also use a lot of Math games.

SOTW with Activity Guide- I highly recommend the Activity Guide if you do use SOTW. You could figure out the extra books and activities on your own but it really makes it easy to have it there. The maps are also very good to use. Ds loves the activities we've done so far (archeology dig, cave painting, writing hieroglyphics, mummifying chicken).

For Science I'm basically following the WTM suggestions and doing Biology. I looked into a ton of science programs and couldn't find one I loved enough to spend the money on. We're doing animals now and it's been very fun. We read about a different animal each week, put it on a classification chart I made, sometimes go on field trips, etc. We've looked at bees under a microscope (we had a bee issue in our house) and dissected a squid. For this age I think science is mostly about exploring the world so a formal program isn't necessary.

We like:

Right Start and Miquon for math

OPG or ABeCeDarian if the child isn't reading really well

All About Spelling

First Language Lessons (not completely necessary, but nice. Ariel loves memorizing the poems)

Writing With Ease

Zaner-Bloser handwriting. HWT is good, too, but not as pretty

Moving Beyond the Page (covers nearly all subjects but learning to read, but I find the 5-7 level a little light on the writing and math for a 1st grader)

Atelier Art

Lollipop Logic

We only just started using Connect the Thoughts, so the jury's still out on that one, but you might look at it for history and/or science. We still haven't started SOTW yet, we're currently focusing on pre-history & dinosuars.

Ok, here are my suggestions:

English skills: Spalding. It will cover reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, basic writing. If you add the teacher guide, it will also cover grammar and more comprehensive writing.

Arithmetic: The Story of an Experiment. No formal math until at least 3rd grade; the article includes a scope and sequence for what concepts to introduce/teach until the formal instruction is begun, including telling time. :-)

Science and history: library, field trips, educational DVDs/TV, etc.

Phonics: Spectrum workbook

Handwriting: Getty-Dubay/Portland State Italic book B (we did A in K)

Writing: in copywork, history, science

Spelling: through dictation

Reading: regular readers galore, including in science and history

Math: MCP Math A and Miquon Orange book

Science: topical Nature Studies on Trees, Birds and Weather & Climate, plus The Human Body and for the last 12 weeks or so BFSU (Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding K-2, next 12 threads -- includes all the sciences).

History: SOTW 1 and AG plus many living books

We also have Literature Read-Alouds, Art, Music (mostly singing this year from me aside from his extracurricular piano lessons), Spanish, Geography, Health & Safety, Theology, Virtues, and Picture and Composer Study.

We do school Charlotte Mason style and in the early grades this means we have short lessons and free afternoons ;)

Edited by sagira

I am a Christian although I don't really look for religious materials in schooling. Just to say though that someone else might explain this better. But what I've seen as the concern is that SOTW includes stories like Abraham or Moses as fact. I've also seen a lot of criticism from Christians that it isn't Christian enough. Personally, I find it pretty neutral. I would think it would be easy to either skip the parts you don't like or to just say after reading it "You know some people believe that...but we believe...."
SOTW is more secular than the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of History. It is much more secular than any other narrative spine that I looked at including Little History of the World. I am not sure what someone is using in lieu of SOTW for first grade if they don't think it is secular enough. A google search came up with some information on this subject.

Here are my choices:

FLL 1

WWE 1

RightStart Math B

SOTW

Real Science Odyssey Life

I don't have a spelling/phonics recommendation, we used SWR but it is probably overkill if they already know how to read, though it is a great program and my son who read very well already liked memorizing the phonograms and learning to mark words.