Menu

I need scheduling help - we're not getting it all done.

Renee in NC

I am teaching 4 this year, with 2 others that are young (3 and infant.) We started yesterday and, while I am not looking for perfection, we are struggling to get it all done! Or even more than half done.

What do I do with others while I am working one-on-one with another? This morning, for example, I was helping the 11yo with one of his online classes. While I was doing this, the other 4 that are mobile were causing all sorts of ruckus.

I had MOTH in the past and I understand that they each need to have something they should be doing for each time segment, but I am not sure how to make this work.

My 11 and 8yo are both dyslexic, so I have to read their assignments to them.

My 6 and 5yo are on about the same level, but they need me for all subjects.

There is some adjustment here as we have been pretty laid-back in the past and we are headed for much more structure. The youngers (8, 6, and 5) will be doing the CLAA Petty School together, but it doesn't start until Sept. 1st (and it isn't enough to call it their complete school work.)

Can some of you teaching many (with many young ones) tell me how you get it done?

While you work with one, could you have another play a game with the youngers? Have the others do copywork, journaling, or file folder game? Then switch everyone around to work one-on-one with another?

For example:

16, 11, 8, 6, 5, 2, and baby born 1/09!

1on1 with 11 while 8 plays with 2 and baby.

16, 6, and 5 do whatever independent work they can.

Then while working with 6yr old, 11 yr old plays with 2yr old and baby.

While working with 5 yr old, 16 yr old plays with 2 yr old and baby. Everyone else do any independent work.

While working with 16 yr old, 6 and 5 yr olds play with 2 and baby. Everyone else do any independent work.

And so on.

Plus can you put both tod and baby down for a nap at the same time? We do science and history during baby's nap time.

Edited by christielee7278

While you work with one, could you have another play a game with the youngers? Have the others do copywork, journaling, or file folder game? Then switch everyone around to work one-on-one with another?

For example:

16, 11, 8, 6, 5, 2, and baby born 1/09!

1on1 with 11 while 8 plays with 2 and baby.

16, 6, and 5 do whatever independent work they can.

Then while working with 6yr old, 11 yr old plays with 2yr old and baby.

While working with 5 yr old, 16 yr old plays with 2 yr old and baby. Everyone else do any independent work.

While working with 16 yr old, 6 and 5 yr olds play with 2 and baby. Everyone else do any independent work.

And so on.

Plus can you put both tod and baby down for a nap at the same time? We do science and history during baby's nap time.

16yo is not here - he stayed in NC when we moved. So I don't have one in high school, at least!

I need to update my sig - she is 3 now. And she doesn't nap. Or, more like it, she *will* nap but then she won't sleep until midnight.:001_huh:

What kind of independent work do 5 and 6yo do? I need some ideas. Neither are ready for copywork. They do seem to be able to do their Explode the Code books alone, though.

You've got me thinking. I need to "block it out" like in MOTH - who can do what with whom. What activities we do together, who needs separate time, etc.

We just didn't get much of anything done today because I was constantly after one or another to sit down, be quiet, quit annoying your brother, etc.:tongue_smilie:

My 5 yr old can do his copywork pages that I print (working on writing the letters neatly) on his own. Plus I can get him started on ETC and he can usually finish on his own. I have both older boys write in a daily journal. I have my 5 yr old tell me what to write, then he copies it and draws a picture. I get the daily journal prompts from here. I have some file folder games that I made for him to do on his own.

Here are some links to my blog where I talk about some of the independent things I made for the youngers to do:

http://monkeyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2009/08/preschool-corner.html

http://monkeyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2009/08/fun-activities.html

http://monkeyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2009/08/week-2-tot-school-august-10-14.html

http://monkeyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2009/07/school-and-workbox-excitement.html

Even with just the baby's naptime, you could get quite a bit accomplished. I would try to do as much as possible during that time and do more library book reading and fun group activities together when the baby is awake.

Maybe if you teach the 8 and 11 year old to type and get some software that reads text aloud, that would help? They could type in their instructions and have the computer read them aloud. There are also pens that scan in text that are now fairly reasonable.

Dance Mat Typing is free, and Read, Write, Type would work on their reading and spelling while teaching them to type.

A lot of the concerns you mentioned are addressed in the book, including the first day going a lot like you described - not much academics done because of "teaching the schedule."

Last year, when my son was 6, I would teach him his math, phonics, reading and handwriting lessons during our 1:1 time and then, for the most part, he did his math worksheets, his handwriting or copywork, his phonics workbook and most of his reading workbook indendendently. I know each child is different, but I would work on your 6 year old being able to do some of his work independently. You might also want to evaluate your curriculum if it is too teacher intensive. Some curriculi lend themselves to more independent work, while others make it difficult for a child to proceed without a lot of help from mom.

I am teaching 4 this year, with 2 others that are young (3 and infant.) We started yesterday and, while I am not looking for perfection, we are struggling to get it all done! Or even more than half done.

What do I do with others while I am working one-on-one with another? This morning, for example, I was helping the 11yo with one of his online classes. While I was doing this, the other 4 that are mobile were causing all sorts of ruckus.

I had MOTH in the past and I understand that they each need to have something they should be doing for each time segment, but I am not sure how to make this work.

My 11 and 8yo are both dyslexic, so I have to read their assignments to them.

My 6 and 5yo are on about the same level, but they need me for all subjects.

There is some adjustment here as we have been pretty laid-back in the past and we are headed for much more structure. The youngers (8, 6, and 5) will be doing the CLAA Petty School together, but it doesn't start until Sept. 1st (and it isn't enough to call it their complete school work.)

Can some of you teaching many (with many young ones) tell me how you get it done?

I always work with my youngest school ager first from beginning to end. With a 6 and 5 year olds that wouldn't be beyond an hr and a half total together.

While you are working with them, can the older 2 complete ANY assignments independently? Math, writing, art, music practice, anything??

I would have them do whatever independent work they can and then switch back and forth between the older 2.

Renee,

Some of it will get easier as they get older and can play better on their own.

Here is my schedule. My oldest two get to work bright and early on their independent stuff, while my younger two play together. I am usually exercising/getting ready/doing my chores. After breakfast I start in on my ds hs. My 8yo generally can talk my 9yo into a break, and they play something together. When I start my 8yo's one on one time, my 9yo usually goes back to her independent work, and my 6yo ds will play on my exercise ball. There is a certain amount of noise because he loves making sound effects, but we are all pretty used to it and tune it out. If he gets too loud I send him upstairs to do it, or if one of the girls have something they need to focus on we have a set of sound blocking ear phones they can use. After lunch anyone done with hs tends to go outside to play, but if they can't the youngest two just find a game to play or something till we are done. If they get too noisy they get sent to their room.

When ds was 2 was the hardest time of my hsing career. I am sooo glad those days are behind us.

Heather

What kind of independent work do 5 and 6yo do? I need some ideas. Neither are ready for copywork. They do seem to be able to do their Explode the Code books alone, though.

You've got me thinking. I need to "block it out" like in MOTH - who can do what with whom. What activities we do together, who needs separate time, etc.

:seeya: I think I can help, our children are about the same ages.

Here's what I recommend: do consider setting up a MOTH style schedule. You could use sticky notes for each block of time and a different color sticky for each child. Work with your schedule patiently for a few weeks, changing around sticky notes until the system works for your family.

As for the 5yo and 6yo, I don't require independent work. Basically, I sit beside my younger children and go back and forth between them as they work through their morning seatwork. We can accomplish a lot of work this way. We usually finish that seatwork in one hour. During that hour, my older children are working on their math lessons. I schedule other subjects in the afternoons when youngest is sleeping.

Ideas to keep 5yo and 6yo busy after seatwork while you work with older children: educational computer games, puzzles, science kits or videos, art time, playtime with a younger sibling, books on CD, backyard nature exploration time, etc. Schedule in 1/2 hour blocks for these times; I try to alternative quiet and active activities. At this age, I also try to be flexible w/my children so they are not always "required" to do that next activity but I've learned it helps to have something set up. I suppose you could even create a "what to do next jar" and let these children simply pick a slip of paper with these types of activities listed on them for them to do next. Again, 30 minute activities keep my youngers happy and moving and learning in different directions. Your 3yo may be able to join in on some of these activities.

HTH!

Edited by Jane
for clarity

What about some modified workboxes?

Some possible independent activities: handwriting practice (not copywork, but letter formation), math worksheets (if the writing isn't there yet, could you use the number stamps?), mazes, puzzles, computer (starfall, typing, etc), practice with lacing cards/ stringing beads/ weaving/ dressing frames/ hammering nails in a stump/ screwdriver, transfer activities with spoons or eyedropper or syringe, pouring practice, sorting animals by type, painting, play dough, wedgits or building materials (legos, mighty mind, etc). Not strictly main academic activities, but some stuff like that. Reading software programs, handwriting, and math drill can be done independently to some degree.

I had a different approach. Schedules stress me out and I could never get the swing of switching kids around. I'm more of a daily rhythm type person. So how I did things (at various times): 1) Read aloud at meal times (I still do this! Shortens the day!), I eat while preparing lunch. 2) Set up Montessori activities for the younger ones to play with in the same general area of our kitchen table where I did as much as possible with the older kids. 3) Had after lunch quiet time in rooms for younger ones (they didn't have to nap; they'd listen to story tapes/cds at that time). Worked with olders some more during this time (I too have dyslexic children and ADHD so I had to be right there with them). 4) Had educational TV time for the littles, again so I could work with the olders 5) Sometimes I focused on a subject with one child (reading lessons for ex) after dinner when dh could run defense with the other kids. Or at times had dh teach (especially math) after dinner while I took care of other kids. 6) Do stuff on weekends when dh was home. 7) Reserve one subject for summer (often science) so I don't have to worry about it!

I'd spend so much time trying to get this perfect schedule thought out and then I'd feel so burned out and inadequate when I never could make it work. So these solutions have worked out better for me over the years.

Reading these responses, I realize one of our big problems - we don't have a home of our own! We are living with my mother still and will be for at least another couple of weeks.

This means that they have no room to go into - the 5 oldest (here) are sharing a room - the floor is taken up with 2 blow up beds. They have no toys to speak of. Most of my homeschooling stuff (and educational games/activities) are still packed in the trailer.

This part will fix itself once we move into our own home.

I always work with my youngest school ager first from beginning to end. With a 6 and 5 year olds that wouldn't be beyond an hr and a half total together.

What do you do with the young ones for the rest of the school day? If mine don't have something constructive to do, they end up chasing each other around the house or some other such distracting thing.

Last year, when my son was 6, I would teach him his math, phonics, reading and handwriting lessons during our 1:1 time and then, for the most part, he did his math worksheets, his handwriting or copywork, his phonics workbook and most of his reading workbook indendendently. I know each child is different, but I would work on your 6 year old being able to do some of his work independently.

According to their SLP in NC, the 6yo has the same LDs as the 8yo, but worse. I don't know about the "worse" part, but I know that my 5yo dd (19 months younger) is head and shoulders above him academically. I *could* get the 5yo working somewhat more independently, though, as she is a workbook-type.

These ideas are great - keep them coming!:001_smile:

Oh my! You are doing much better than I. If I weren't in my own home I would be had pressed to get ANYTHING done. I would simply try to do the basics and that is it.

With my youngest who was the most disruptive the exercise ball was THE thing for him. It allowed him to do something that wasn't extremely noisy. It sounds like that isn't even an option till you move.

((hugs)) Hang in there, at least you can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Heather

p.s. All my kids show various degrees of dyslexia, my ds being the worst. At this point my 3rd grader only does ETC, Singapore Math (after we have gone over what the assignment is together) and mapping alone. I am working towards getting her to do other things alone, but it just takes time. With the older two I have a turn in and then correct things policy, so if they do really poorly on something I can show them where their thinking (what they think the instructions said) went wrong and have then take a second shot at it. If they get it wrong again I just sit down and do it with them. Just keep swimming....

Reading these responses, I realize one of our big problems - we don't have a home of our own! We are living with my mother still and will be for at least another couple of weeks.

This means that they have no room to go into - the 5 oldest (here) are sharing a room - the floor is taken up with 2 blow up beds. They have no toys to speak of. Most of my homeschooling stuff (and educational games/activities) are still packed in the trailer.

This part will fix itself once we move into our own home.

:grouphug:

That is tough.

I agree with Siloam, just do the basics until you have some space and toys.

I will be teaching 6 dc this year, age ranges from 4-13. I know it can be crazy and hectic at times. MUCH more so with you having the two really young ones.

I was just reading my copy of Managers of Their Homes. If I were you, when you get a chance, I would get your copy out and re-read the sections applicable to your situation.

Isn't it something, though, how those schedules can look so great on paper and be so difficult to implement????? So, needless to say, I was reading the chapter on implementing the schedule.

I hope this helps a little. I know the Lord will give you wisdom about your individual home.

God Bless!

We just didn't get much of anything done today because I was constantly after one or another to sit down, be quiet, quit annoying your brother, etc.:tongue_smilie:

I think there's just an inherent 'back to school' adjustment where you have those days.

How about some smaller dry erase boards the smaller ones can play with (copy letters on) while you're intense with the older two?

A small basin of soapy water and some squirty toys?

Beans? My kids LOVED a bowl full of beans and measuring cups. Of course only after they know to not put anything in their mouths.

Hang in there!