Menu

Hey, Vegetarians! Can you help?

We're going to be on a houseboat trip with dh's family for a week. Dh's brother and his fiancee are vegetarians. (Not terribly strict - dairy is okay, but no meat)

I'd like to find some dishes to prepare for them (main or side) so they have something to eat besides salads. (I'd think those would get old very fast.)

The thing is, we're going to be on a houseboat, and while we have the necessities for cooking, I can't make anything super-complex.

Do you have any ideas for dishes that would be simple and tasty?

Thank you!

This one is really easy and everyone in my family loves it. The children beg for it. We like it pretty spicy, but it is tasty when mild too.

Penne with Spinach and Chick-Peas in a Garlic Sauce

1 10-ounce package loose frozen chopped spinach, thawed

1 pound penne

1/3 cup olive oil

6 garlic cloves, minced (or use prepared minced garlic)

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (we use more)

2 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded and cut into ½ inch dice (or I use a can of diced tomatoes)

1 15 ounce can chick-peas, rinsed and drained

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup grated Parmesan

(1) thaw spinach and drain well, pressing out excess liquid

(2) Boil pasta, drain

(3) Heat Olive Oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the garlic and red pepper flakes for two minutes, taking care not to allow the garlic to brown. Add the tomatoes and chick-peas and cook 2 more minutes. Add the spinach and salt and 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Cook until heated through.

Serve with plenty of black pepper and good quality parmesan

We're going to be on a houseboat trip with dh's family for a week. Dh's brother and his fiancee are vegetarians. (Not terribly strict - dairy is okay, but no meat)

I'd like to find some dishes to prepare for them (main or side) so they have something to eat besides salads. (I'd think those would get old very fast.)

The thing is, we're going to be on a houseboat, and while we have the necessities for cooking, I can't make anything super-complex.

Do you have any ideas for dishes that would be simple and tasty?

Thank you!

My new favorite is a grilled veggie panini. I grill mushrooms, eggplant, & onions w/ olive oil & garlic, salt & pepper. The fam likes it on toasted sourdough bread. We also like burritos made with beans (refried & black) w/ oinions, peppers & cheese. DH adds meat to his.

We like this kind of souped-up homemade mac and cheese recipe around here:

Make a bechamel sauce with 3T butter, 3T flour, and 2 C milk.

Add 8 oz. (or more! if you're like us) grated strong cheese (parmensan, extra sharp cheddar, etc.)

Add 1 pkg. frozen winter squash (or cook your own, but it's time-consuming), defrosted.

Serve over pasta and vegetables (we like broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mixed). Very yummy and filling; you won't miss your meat, either. :)

Vegetarian enchiladas are good too:

for each 9x13 pan, you need

2 15 oz. cans refried beans of your choice

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese

10-12 tortillas (multi-grain are super-tasty)

2-3 small cans enchilada sauce (we prefer green chile to red)

8 oz sour cream

8-12 oz grated monterey jack cheese

black olives (optional)

Divide the cream cheese into slices by the number of tortillas you're using. Put one on a tortilla. Add a generous dollop of refried beans. Roll up. Place in pan. Continue with remaining tortillas. Spread the sour cream on top. Pour enchilada sauce over all. Sprinkle all with grated cheese (and olives, if using). Cover with foil and cook at 350 for about an hour or 400 for about 45 minutes. remove foil for last 5 minutes to allow cheese to brown a little.

Stuffed Shells/manicotti are easy to make vegetarian too. Just add in some spinach for extra interest.

I will see if I can think of some others still tonight. :)

Rice is a nice side dish that you can dress up in lots of ways, including making it into a salad.

Sauteed zucchini or yellow squash with onion, garlic, basil and oregano--either over pasta or on its own.

Sweet potato chunks sauteed with onions, then add some cooked frozen corn for the last 3 minutes. A really nice side dish.

Broccoli steamed, then served with a cheese sauce.

Couscous! Quick cooking, and many flavor mixes available.

Edited by Caitilin

Here's an easy one that we always fix for groups.

-Take 1 package of flour tortilla shells

-Spread refried beans on them (make sure to get the vegetarian or fat-free so it doesn't have lard)

-Roll them up and place in casserole dish

-Pour over it 1 can of cream of celery soup mixed with 1 can of enchilada sauce

-Top with shredded cheese (mexican or fiesta blend is best)

-Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

(I actually make mine in a crock pot. Just layer the shells instead of rolling. Pour a little bit of sauce in first, then layer about 4 shells with beans inside, pour sauce and cheese, and then layer again, until you reach the top. Finish with sauce and cheese. You may need more ingredients to fill up the crockpot--I usually double the recipe).

Good luck! I may think of some more, but I have to go to bed right now.

One easy pasta dish:

pasta

feta cheese

dill weed spice

veggies added like yellow squash (cooked of course), baby toms, even asparagus

Another easy, easy thing for vegetarians that'll taste like you did a lot, but all you did was open a jar: pesto and pasta.

If you're planning on having burgers one night, buy a package of Morningstar Farm Grillers. You'll find Morningstar Farm stuff in your freezer section often by waffles. Green boxes. They're awesome. They were originally made for people with heart problems who needed to reduce their meat intake. Prepare them just like you would a burger.

Last, the Morningstar Farm bacon rocks! My picky, picky kid loves the stuff.

Alley