Menu

Agnes Scott visit and impressions

TravelingChris

We visited Agnes Scott on a hot summer day so the only students were the new international first years who were having a special orientation. Agnes Scott in in Decatur GA which is now a suburb of Atlanta and is a few miles from Emory. Decatur is a nice area and the college has very nice architecture. The almost all the new buildings keep in style with the original. The exception is the chapel which is a beautiful building in another style.

Here we had a tour with just our family and one of the admission counselors. She was very nice and knowledgeable. Some distinctives- it is an all female college though they do get some men occasionally in classes because the Atlanta area has cross registration at the universities and students take advantage of that. Many Agnes Scott students do some of their classes at one of the other colleges. They have a very strong Honor code and that includes being able to take finals at a different time or in your dorm room. Also, people leave laptops and find them later. They take it very seriously.

They strongly encourage internships and study abroad and most students take advantage of that. Their biology lab (the one science area we saw) was very impressive and they have a very high rate of med school acceptance. The reseach projects up on the wall seemed impressive too. The dorm rooms were bigger than Emory but the furniture was older. They did have good closet space and we saw the freshman dorm which has the smallest rooms. Other things that impressed us was that the cafeteria is used by not only the students but also by the faculty and staff (certainly not the case at my alma mater where if we didn't have to eat there, we wouldn't). They also have some alternate eating options like a grill and a coffee bar. The library is gorgeous. They have three labs to help students including languages, writing, and speech. I looked at the handouts outside and it wasn't remidial help but specific helps to improve scholarly writing or making academic speeches. They have videotaping equipment (don't know the technology used since we didn't go in) and you can practice your speech and view it and make corrections. They have practice rooms for music that are open to all and any student can join the music groups or theater prodictions, not just the majors.

My daughter had an interview here and says it went very well. Before she visited the college and talked with the admission counselor, she really wasn't sure about it. SHe was quite impressed and will be looking further into it.

They don't have different requirements for homeschoolers except that I think they may want a SAT or ACT or other score.

• 2 weeks later...

I will tell you about a certain reputation Aggie's have. The term used to describe the student population is LUGs. It stands for Lesbian Until Graduation. Again, I have no first hand experience with Agnes Scot, but it has been discussed here on local radio stations before. Also, when I taught at UGA, we were quite aware of their reputation. Just thought you should know. Don't shoot the messenger.

I will tell you about a certain reputation Aggie's have. The term used to describe the student population is LUGs. It stands for Lesbian Until Graduation. Again' date=' I have no first hand experience with Agnes Scot, but it has been discussed here on local radio stations before. Also, when I taught at UGA, we were quite aware of their reputation. Just thought you should know. Don't shoot the messenger.[/quote']

I'm sorry, but was a little disheartened by your comment. I am a "Scottie" (proper term, not Aggie--they're from Texas). I

I am not, and never was a lesbian. However, I will admit that ANY women's college has a higher ratio of lesbians and bisexuals--or at least it may seem that way. The schools are smaller, and so it is more apparent. They (the lesbians and bis) are more comfortable being in the open, because there are only women around, and they don't feel hedged in by a male-dominated world.

Now, the truth is, you are what you make of Agnes Scott, or any college for that matter. If you have strong ideals and beliefs, then you will not be swayed by them. I believe that any young woman who is coming from a strong family life, which I would believe to be the case about anyone on this forum, then she will not become a lesbian just because there are some people around her who are.

The majority of students are definitely NOT lesbian!

I am disheartened, but not offended by you. However I do believe that your statement doesn't hold much validity. Many people question and are outright alarmed by confident, intelligent women. Why would they want to go to a college with only women around? Where will they find a husband? I believe this fear is the reason rumors abound.

BTW, I did marry, a pastor for that matter, and am a stay at home mom. So I am by no means a femi-nazi, etc.

Edited by jubulibee

We visited Agnes Scott on a hot summer day so the only students were the new international first years who were having a special orientation. Agnes Scott in in Decatur GA which is now a suburb of Atlanta and is a few miles from Emory. Decatur is a nice area and the college has very nice architecture. The almost all the new buildings keep in style with the original. The exception is the chapel which is a beautiful building in another style.

Here we had a tour with just our family and one of the admission counselors. She was very nice and knowledgeable. Some distinctives- it is an all female college though they do get some men occasionally in classes because the Atlanta area has cross registration at the universities and students take advantage of that. Many Agnes Scott students do some of their classes at one of the other colleges. They have a very strong Honor code and that includes being able to take finals at a different time or in your dorm room. Also, people leave laptops and find them later. They take it very seriously.

They strongly encourage internships and study abroad and most students take advantage of that. Their biology lab (the one science area we saw) was very impressive and they have a very high rate of med school acceptance. The reseach projects up on the wall seemed impressive too. The dorm rooms were bigger than Emory but the furniture was older. They did have good closet space and we saw the freshman dorm which has the smallest rooms. Other things that impressed us was that the cafeteria is used by not only the students but also by the faculty and staff (certainly not the case at my alma mater where if we didn't have to eat there, we wouldn't). They also have some alternate eating options like a grill and a coffee bar. The library is gorgeous. They have three labs to help students including languages, writing, and speech. I looked at the handouts outside and it wasn't remidial help but specific helps to improve scholarly writing or making academic speeches. They have videotaping equipment (don't know the technology used since we didn't go in) and you can practice your speech and view it and make corrections. They have practice rooms for music that are open to all and any student can join the music groups or theater prodictions, not just the majors.

My daughter had an interview here and says it went very well. Before she visited the college and talked with the admission counselor, she really wasn't sure about it. SHe was quite impressed and will be looking further into it.

They don't have different requirements for homeschoolers except that I think they may want a SAT or ACT or other score.

Chistina -

I graduated from Agnes Scott, and I loved my experience there. It was academically challenging, and a wonderful college experience. The campus and atmosphere is awesome, and the professors and staff are truly engaged with the students. As a matter of fact, when I was there, during final exams, some of the professors and administration would serve us midnight snacks in the "Dining Hall" (not called the cafeteria).

The residence halls are beautiful once you get beyond the first-year dorms. I had a loft room with 2 floors my senior year.

The honor code is amazing. During finals, we could choose when we wanted to take them. There were about 4 days in which you could take your finals. All the tests were turned into to one office before hand, and we could go pick them up whenever you were ready to take them. \

There is a strong writing emphasis at ASC.

[Of course, you can find trouble if you are looking for it, but that is true anywhere.]

I will be glad to answer any other questions you may have. Good luck!

I'm sorry, but was a little disheartened by your comment. I am a "Scottie" (proper term, not Aggie--their from Texas).

My apologies for the improper term. My dd did just return from Texas A&M so I had Aggie's on the brain.

I am disheartened, but not offended by you. However I do believe that your statement doesn't hold much validity. Many people question and are outright alarmed by confident, intelligent women. Why would they want to go to a college with only women around? Where will they find a husband? I believe this fear is the reason rumors abound..

Not that I wanted to mention this part, but at UGA I taught in the psychology department. We counseled many a young woman who transferred from AS on this very issue. They said the peer pressure to experiment with lesbianism was intense. I don't know when you attended, but perhaps it's one of those things that changes over time.

Not that I wanted to mention this part' date=' but at UGA I taught in the psychology department. We counseled many a young woman who transferred from AS on this very issue. They said the peer pressure to experiment with lesbianism was intense. I don't know when you attended, but perhaps it's one of those things that changes over time.[/color']

I won't deny that it did exist when I was there, and I'm sure the pressure is even greater now. I'm truly saddened :crying: (my son was here and wanted me to add an emoticon) by that fact. I am also sure that someone confident in their sexuality, and emotional stable wouldn't be as affected by this pressure.

The fact remains, it is an excellent school, and I would highly recommend it. However, it does help for prospective students to know what they will face, so I'm glad you mentioned it. I guess I just got defensive for my alma mater!