Menu

SOTW advice please

Ohio12

I would consider looking over SOTW2 before you decide when to start this program.

While a K-er would probably really enjoy SOTW1, I think that SOTW2 would be too difficult and scattered for most 1st graders. (It is a well-written book, but it was just a scattered time.)

I would think about spreading SOTW1 over 2 years and after-schooling the rest of the series later on, or doing it during the summer as a fun and focussed world history study.

Is there a particular reason why you want to start "formal" history in kindergarten? I'm not saying you can't; I'm sure many have. We started SOTW in first grade, and used kindergarten for "holiday history" (unit studies on the holidays) and local history.

I haven't decided for sure. I want to do the SOTW and since I may only be able to hs for a couple years I thought I had better get started. Also, dd will be an older kindergartener. We have done a lot of kindergarten stuff already this year. I am new to this. I might try to e-mail you because I see you have 2 dds like me!