Menu

Netflix Master SOTW Guide

phathui5

I'd like to make up a master list of movies that go with each Story Of the World book and make a file or sticky post for it.

If you have a suggestion for the list, please PM which SOTW book you're referring to, the chapter it goes with and the movie title.

Together we can make an awesome list and all the WTM board kids can have a weekly history movie day, with popcorn and soda and candy!

-----------------------------------------------

Here's the list so far. Please keep making suggestions!

The Unofficial Story of the World movie list

* Age recommendations are from Netflix and Common Sense Media.

Book 1- Ancient Times

Ch. 1- The Earliest People

Prehistoric America: A Journey through the Ice Age and Beyond (BBC)- Travel back in time 14,000 years to imagine what America looked like before man's existence. This documentary uses computer animation to give us realistic views of the woolly mammoth and other prehistoric creatures.

Walking With Prehistoric Beasts- This film starts after the time of the dinosaurs, taking an up-close look at animals that are now extinct, as well as early man.

Walking With Cavemen- Another “Walking With†film shows us more about what life was like for early man. Deals with the theory of evolution, as people descend from the branches to walk on two legs.

Book 2- The Middle Ages

Ch 1- The Glory that Was Rome

Gladiator- (ages 15+) An extremely violent movie that gives us a look into the lives of gladiators in ancient Rome. Perhaps a good choice to watch and discuss with your high schoolers.

Ch. 2- The Early Days of Britain

Pendragon: Sword of His Father- (ages 5+) Set in 411AD, Pendragon tells the story of young Artos, who is taken into slavery by the Saxons.

Ch. 16- England After the Conquest

Terry Jones: Medieval Lives- (all ages) A two-disc series that takes us through true stories of damsels, peasants, knights and other characters of the Middle Ages.

Ch. 17- Knights and Samurai

A Knight's Tale- (ages 12+) This fun movie takes a lighthearted look at being a knight in the Middle Ages.

Ch. 38- England's Greatest Queen

Dear America: The Royal Diaries- (all ages) Adapted from the Scholastic book series, this disc has three episodes about historical princesses during their teen years. It features Elizabeth I, Isabel and Cleopatra VII.

Ch. 39- England's Greatest Playwright

Shakespeare: The Animated Tales- (all ages) This enjoyable collection features 12 25-minute animated adaptations of the bard's plays.

A Midsummer Night's Dream- (ages 12+) When four star-crossed lovers run into the forest in search of each other, mischievous faeries use a potion that wreaks romantic havoc on everyone.

Book 3- Early Modern Times

Ch. 22- Revolution!

Liberty's Kids- Geared towards 8-16 year olds, this animated series teaches children about the events surrounding the Revolutionary War.

Ch. 36- The Slave Trade Ends

Amazing Grace- (ages 10+) Tells the story of William Wilberforce, an English politician fighting for the abolition of slavery.

Book 4- The Modern Age

Ch. 4- British Invasions

The Secret Garden- (all ages) Mary Lennox is a strong-willed English girl who is orphaned when her parents die of cholera in India. She's sent to live with her uncle in a lonely English mansion and turns an abandoned garden into a thing of beauty.

Ch. 5- The American Civil War

The Red Badge of Courage- (not rated) Set during the American Civil War. Examines a boy's feelings as he prepares for battle. As the war continues, he comes to terms with the realities of warfare.

Ch. 6- Two Tries for Freedom

Anne of Green Gables- (all ages) Anne Shirley, a talkative, red-headed orphan is adopted by a spinster and her brother on Prince Edward Island, Canada and has all sorts of adventures.

Ch. 16- Moving West

Little House on the Prairie- (all ages) Disney's adaptation of Laura Ingalls Wilder's novel chronicles the family's wagon trek from Wisconsin to Kansas, where dad Charles will claim the family's parcel of land.

Ch. 20- Revolution in America... War in the World

Lawrence of Arabia- (ages 13+) The movie opens with the death of Lawrence at the age of 47, then flashes back to recount his adventures in Cairo during World War I.

Ch. 21- A Revolution Begins and the Great War Ends

Mary Poppins (all ages)- Mary Poppins is the “practically perfect†nanny who shows up just at the right time for the Banks family. The movie is set when women are demanding the right to vote and Mrs Banks is a suffragette.

Ch. 28- The Second World War

The Hiding Place- In WWII Holland, Corrie ten Boom and her family of Christian watchmakers are quietly sheltering Jews in their small house. When Nazis discover them, it leads to concentration camps and a test of faith for Corrie and her sister.

A League of Their Own (ages 10+)- The story of the All American Girls Professional Baseball League. Takes place during WWII.

Ch. 36- Struggles and Assasinations

Dr Martin Luther King Jr: A Historical Perspective- An hour long documentary that focuses on the Civil Rights leader's many accomplishments. Includes the “I Have a Dream†speech.

Edited by phathui5

Thanks for the links, ladies.

I've pulled out the activity guides for SOTW books 1-4 so that I can look at the book recommendations and check for movie versions.

if you need help digging up past recommendations, I'd be happy to help!

Please do.

From this thread http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78925, for SOTW 4:

1890s

- Sherlock Holmes films (1930s versions with Basil Rathbone)

*** Sherlock Homese BBC series (1980s versions with Jeremy Brett)

- Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) -- 1898 St. Louis World's Fair; musical

1900s

*** Fiddler on the Roof (1971) -- pre revolution Russia; musical

- San Francisco (1936) -- 1906 San Francisco earthquake

- Anne of Green Gables (1990s TV movie) -- adopted Canadian orphan girl's misadventures

- Houdini (1952) -- biog. of the the magician/escape artist Harry Houdini

*** The Great Race (1961) -- early auto race from New York to Paris

1910s

- Sarah Plain and Tall (1991 TV movie) -- mail order New England bride moves to the midwest

- Mary Poppins (1964) -- British suffregettes

- A Night to Remember (1958) -- sinking of the Titanic

- Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) -- biog. of composer Cohen, from vaudeville in the '90s, up through the 1940s

WW1

- Sergeant York (1941) -- B&W; biography of US hero

1920s

*** The Public Enemy (1931) -- drama; 1920s bootlegging gangsters (very mild film by today's standards)

- The Spirit of St. Louis (1957) -- Lindbergh's historical solo flight

- Chariots of Fire (1981) -- contrast of 1920s British Olympic runners, Eric Liddel and Harold Abrahams

- Singing in the Rain (1952) -- musical comedy; the advent of "talkies"

*** Jeeves and Wooster (1990s) -- comedy; BBC series of well-to-do British airhead and his wise valet

1930s

- Pride of the Yankees (1943) -- biography of baseball player Lou Gehrig

- It's a Wonderful Life (1946) -- follows a family from the 1920s to the 1940s

- Inn of the Sixth Happiness (1958) -- not very accurage biog. of Gladys Alward, missionary to China

- To Kill a Mockingbird

*** The Sting (1973) -- con artists revenged on an evil businessman

*** Seabiscuit (2003) -- the racehorse who made a comeback as a symbol in the Depression

WW2

- Stalag 17 (1953) -- captured US soldiers in German POW camp

*** The Hiding Place -- biog. of Corrie TenBoom and family who hid Jews and were imprisoned

*** South Pacific -- musical; racism and integrated marriage

1940s

- The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) -- US veterans try to readjust to post WW2 lives

1950s

- Leave it to Beaver (1950s TV series)

*** October Sky (1997) -- biogr. of teen boys who experimented launching rockets

Here's what I have written up so far:

The Unofficial Story of the World movie list

Book 1- Ancient Times

Ch. 1- The Earliest People

Prehistoric America: A Journey through the Ice Age and Beyond (BBC)- Travel back in time 14,000 years to imagine what America looked like before man's existence. This documentary uses computer animation to give us realistic views of the woolly mammoth and other prehistoric creatures.

Book 2- The Middle Ages

Book 3- Early Modern Times

Ch. 22- Revolution!

Liberty's Kids- Geared towards 8-16 year olds, this animated series teaches children about the events surrounding the Revolutionary War.

Book 4- The Modern Age

Ch. 4- British Invasions

The Secret Garden- (all ages) Mary Lennox is a strong-willed English girl who is orphaned when her parents die of cholera in India. She's sent to live with her uncle in a lonely English mansion and turns an abandoned garden into a thing of beauty.

Ch. 5- The American Civil War

The Red Badge of Courage- (not rated) Set during the American Civil War. Examines a boy's feelings as he prepares for battle. As the war continues, he comes to terms with the realities of warfare.

Ch. 6- Two Tries for Freedom

Anne of Green Gables- (all ages) Anne Shirley, a talkative, red-headed orphan is adopted by a spinster and her brother on Prince Edward Island, Canada and has all sorts of adventures.

Ch. 16- Moving West

Little House on the Prairie- (all ages) Disney's adaptation of Laura Ingalls Wilder's novel chronicles the family's wagon trek from Wisconsin to Kansas, where dad Charles will claim the family's parcel of land.

Ch. 21- A Revolution Begins and the Great War Ends

Mary Poppins (all ages)- Mary Poppins is the “practically perfect” nanny who shows up just at the right time for the Banks family. The movie is set when women are demanding the right to vote and Mrs Banks is a suffragette.

Ch. 28- The Second World War

The Hiding Place- In WWII Holland, Corrie ten Boom and her family of Christian watchmakers are quietly sheltering Jews in their small house. When Nazis discover them, it leads to concentration camps and a test of faith for Corrie and her sister.

Ch. 36- Struggles and Assasinations

Dr Martin Luther King Jr: A Historical Perspective- An hour long documentary that focuses on the Civil Rights leader's many accomplishments. Includes the “I Have a Dream” speech.

I mentioned this on the other forum board, but did you want me to make a list from Art in Story? There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of movies listed in this book that correspond to SOTW history.

I'd be very careful about doing that, as it would likely violate copyright and we don't want to get Susan or this forum in trouble.

I think I'll stick to compiling it from people's suggestions and Netflix for now. Please keep giving me ideas for chapters. I'll look it up, stick an age recommendation on there and put a short review.

I'm thinking of making it into a little booklet.

There is a series great for Ancient Times called The Origin of Civilizations. Netflix has this. This is awesome. We just watched the one on Iraq.

Another great movie is THE STORY Of ONE. This the history of the number one which covers a great deal of Ancient History. It is also funny. My kids loved it.

Susie

the cartoon Prince of Egypt could go with SOTW1. And, although it is a frivolous movie set, the Ice Age/Ice Age 2: the Meltdown are fun and could be a basis for conversation with younger kids :D

Uh. We watched The Ten Commandments and Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. What can i say? lol Oh, and The Robe. Plus Ben Hur. (SOTW I)

Edited by LibraryLover

Another great movie is THE STORY Of ONE. This the history of the number one which covers a great deal of Ancient History. It is also funny. My kids loved it.

I don't see this one on Netflix. Does it have another title? Anything else I can use to look it up? Sounds interesting...

Edited to add - WHOOP - just found it. It's The Story of 1 (with a numeral, not the word spelled out) - thanks!

We're watching the Young Indiana Jones series (works with Modern) from Netflix now. The short documentaries that go along with it would be good for level 2 or even 3. Here's the list and figures included and where I'm planning on synching them in. Do be aware that there may be more violence or other themes that folks may want to preview---we watched the first several a year or so ago (when she was 7 or 8) but stopped for a while when it got to WWI to let my daughter mature a bit.

We've recently started again, so I haven't seen the full series yet. I've found a listing for the bonus features for vol. 3, but not the others, though the quantity and type are similar. In at least the first volume, the bonus features are concentrated on separate discs so that you could order them independently from the series from Netflix :

http://www.innermind.com/youngindy/info/yijepg2.htm has more info, as does http://www.innermind.com/youngindy/info/history.htm

Vol. 1

My First Adventure: Howard Carter, T. E. Lawrence Egypt's Valley of the Kings

(SOTW 4 ch. 15) Passion for Life: Kenya with Teddy Roosevelt, Paris with Norman Rockwell, Picasso, Degas, George Braque, Henri Rousseau

(SOTW 4 Ch. 20)Perils of Cupid: Ferdinand of Austria, Jung, Freud, Puccini, Alfred Adler

(SOTW 4 Ch. 21) Travels with Father: Tolstoy, Russia

Journey of Radiance: Krishnamurti and Theosophy

(SOTW ch. 20) spring break adventure: Thomas Edison, Pancho Villa, George Patton

(SOTW ch. 22) Love's Sweet Song: Easter Rebellion, Women's suffrage, Churchill

Vol 2 (these go with the chapter on WWI)

Trenches of Hell: Battle of Somme, Charles de Gaulle

Demons of Deception: Trench warfare, Mata Hari

Phantom Train of Doom: WWI Africa

Oganga: Schweitzer

Attack of the Hawkmen: Baron von Richtoffen, Anthony Fokker

Adventures in secret service: Emperor Karl of Austria, Bolsheviks

Espionage Escapades: Picasso, Kafka

Daredevils of the desert: British attack on Beersheba

Bonus features for vol. 3---half hour documentary featurettes (so over 15 hours of material) on the historical figures and times encountered

Tales of Innocence:

* Unhealed Wounds - The Life of Ernest Hemingway

* The French Foreign Legion - The World's Most Legendary Fighting Force

* The Secret Life of Edith Wharton

* Lowell Thomas - American Storyteller

Masks of Evil

* For the People, Despite the People - The Ataturk Revolution

* The Greedy Heart of Halide Edib

* The Ottoman Empire - A World of Difference

* Dracula - Fact and Fiction

Treasure of the Peacock's Eye

* Bronislaw Malinowski - God Professor

* Anthropology - Looking at the Human Condition

* New Guinea - Paradise in Peril

The Winds of Change

* The Best Intentions - The Paris Peace Conference and the Treaty of Versailles

* Woodrow Wilson - American Idealist

* Gertrude Bell - Iraq's Uncrowned Queen

* Ho Chi Minh - The Prince of Freedom

* Paul Robeson - Scandalize My Name

* Robert Goddard - Mr. Rocket Science

Mystery of the Blues

* Jazz - Rhythms of Freedom

* Al "Scarface" Capone - The Original Gangster

* Prohibition - America on the Rocks

* On the Trail of Eliot Ness

* Louis Armstrong - Ambassador of Jazz

* Ben Hecht - The Shakespeare of Hollywood

* Hellfighters - Harlem's Heroes of World War One

Scandal of 1920

* Tin Pan Alley - Soundtrack of America

* Wonderful Nonsense - The Algonquin Round Table

* Broadway - America Center Stage

Hollywood Follies

* Erich von Stroheim - The Profligate Genius

* The Rise of the Moguls - The Men Who Built Hollywood

* Irving Thalberg - Hollywood's Boy Wonder

* The World of John Ford

an interactive timeline, a lecture entitled "New Gods for Old" and the game "Hunting for the Treasure."

Vol. 3

Tales of Innocence: Hemingway, French Foreign Legion, Edith Wharton

Masks of Evil: WWI Istanbul, Vlad the Impaler (yeah, I know :))

Treasure of the Peacock's Eye: Chinese pirates, Bronislaw Malinowski

Winds of Change: Paris Peace Conference, Ho Chi Minh, Lawrence of Arabia, Prince Faisal of Arabia, Paul Robeson

Mystery of the Blues: Sidney Bechet, Al Capone, Eliot Ness

Scandal of 1920: Gershwin, Algonquin Roundtable

Hollywood Follies: Erich von Stroheim, John Ford