Menu

TOG users

How long does it take your student to do this? I used TOG 1 a couple of years ago and it took my kids forever to do the work and I had a difficult time getting the book in from the library, purchasing all the books needed for 3 kids/3 different levels was out.

I might try it again next year or even when ds(right now 6th grade) starts highschool. I figure then ds and dd can use the same books..maybe(dd is 2yrs behind ds)

I know not do everything and won't even try. Right now it takes my kids FOREVER to do their work and adding in all the reading that is required is going to make the day even longer.

This is our first year using TOG 4 and our first year with a TOG co-op. I felt like my kids were bogged down with reading. They've never been history buffs but this year they were really starting to hate history. Just a couple weeks ago (halfway through unit 3) a friend helped me "see the light." I was assigning too much.

Now that I've cut their reading to just the History core they are more at ease with their work load. We're not doing the worldview readings, no art, though I will probably add in world view next year for my older ds.

Our literature is also through the co-op and they've really cut down on the number of books--we do about 2 (or 3 if they're short) per unit. This has worked out very well.

I do have my 7th grader doing the timeline but I cross out a bunch of the lesser important dates (now). Both ds's also do the maps. Here again I cross out a lot of the places (like cities or smaller rivers/mountains).

This is working well for us. Now they don't feel like they're doing history all day. I know this doesn't help your book/library problem but maybe it will help a little with scheduling.

Cinder

PS--If you're near Marietta maybe you could join our co-op! :)

We're in Paulding now and have the longest drive (of all the co-op-ers) since the co-op is in East Cobb. As for the library, we're pretty close to Cobb so we pay to use theirs. I hope you find something that works well for your family. :)

Cinder