Menu

Goodie bag alternatives for a birthday party?

I have a goodie bag aversion (both giving and receiving). However, I can acknowledge that they're expected at kids' birthday parties, and my DDs' (combined) party is happening in a few weeks. I know that my friends would appreciate not having to deal with plastic trinkets and candy, but I hate to disappoint the kids. Does anyone have any good ideas for an alternative, or for something that would be worthwhile to give in a goodie bag? Or should I just let the revolution start here?! :lol:

TIA!

My girls have started getting gift cards instead of goodie bags. I think it started with a gift card to a local ice cream and then a gc to Blockbuster. Then this past Monday my oldest got a gc to a clothing store popular among girls her age Ice cream and Blockbuster can be "cheap" like $3-5. I don't know how much is on the clothing store one. But I do know my dd is saving her money so that she can buy a shirt she likes so it's not huge.

I think 7 yo may understand the concept, but I think 4 yo may be a bit on the young side.

In the past, I have gotten one item that relates to the party theme.

:iagree:

I have done inexpensive water bottles, a baseball, inexpensive flashlights, a couple of glow sticks, water guns or a beach ball- for a summer party, or make a craft like a homemade soap. There are also inexpensive models at Michael's and AC Moore (like planes, ship, etc). They cost about $1 each. This year my daughter wants a "spa" theme. I decided to make a small bag of spa items the girls will be using at the party and let them take the leftovers home (lip gloss, a small mirror, lotion, etc). It was a bit more $$$ than the average goodie bag but the goodie bag is the party.

HTH,

Therese

:seeya:

For ds' party last year, we gave out a plastic pencil box with a pack of pokemon cards in it and one small choc. piece or dumdum.

For dd's small sleepover this year, we are giving out little metal buckets (from $1 store) filled with a travel size toothpaste, a toothbrush, a little washcloth, and a travel size soap. I may still put in one mini Hershey bar.

In past years, we have received a $1store coloring book and crayons, a Star Wars picture book and small candy, a souvinier t-shirt wrapped with a dumdum, a bag of "my favorite things" that included pipe cleaners, character bandaids, a toothbrush, and crayons. I'll try to think of some others.

I usually give out one item:

Water guns

Hoola Hoops

T-Shirts that kids decorated

Those washcloths that are packed up and you unfold in water I did combine these with a fan -it was a hot outdoor party)

Nail polish kits (I buy these at after Christmas sales)

One year at my son's firefighter birthday party we gave away a firefighter book and a kick ball with a firetruck on it.

At my 4 year olds party this year we gave the girls a cute crown with their name on it and a princess note pad.

My oldest kids didn't not have goodie bags at their parties. I really don't care if they expect it they aren't getting them anymore. I don't expect them when my kids go to parties.

I say start a revolution and have a no goodie bag party! You are paying for a party and everything that goes with it. They should come, have a fun and go home.

Last year I went with art supplies (crayons, coloring books, water colors, markers, etc). Everything is really inexpensive right now with all of the back to school sales.

This year I bought a few random items from Oriental Trading, copied all of the pictures into a Word document and then let the kids to a scavenger hunt--so the goodies were also a game. OT trading has cute things that are better than the usual "junk" for cheap. We did water balls, foam airplanes, swirly lollipops, jump ropes, bubbles and stickers, I think.

I like the idea that other posters have mentioned about doing one nicer gift.

For dd's makeover party we purchased a cute headband on the clearance rack at Target, a dollar mirror/brush compact in the travel toiletries section at Target, and a scented bottle of soap bubbles from the toy aisle for each goody bag. We also filled a pinata with candy/gum.

I like the other poster's idea about gift cards, especially the ice cream. I know if we go to Cold Stone, the kids' serving size costs less than $2.

Some things we have done in the past:

• matchbox/Hot Wheels cars
  • pencils with a pattern related to the theme and little notebooks
  • temporary tattoos (I know some parents hate these, but most kids adore them and they're pretty inexpensive and usually do get used.)
  • flavored chapstick/lip gloss
  • mini bottles of nail polish
  • plastic cups with a pattern related to the party (e.g. hearts for Valentine's Day) filled with a few pieces of chocolate candy

:iagree:

Although I am very guilty of caving into the goodie bag idea I think it has become way over-done. It seems like the party is more about pleasing the guest and their parents rather than your "birthday kiddo".

Maybe I'll join you in your revolution...after my dd's b-day (I already bought the stuff :D)

Therese

I have used craft items to not only fill time but also serve as the take-home goodie item. one year the kids decorated foam sun visors with fabirc paint, glue-on gems, etc. at the start of the party, then took them home at the end as their treat. If you did tie-dye cheap t-shirts they could take those home in a plastic bag.

I had a billion leftover Easter Eggs, so I filled them with candy, had the kids go on a hunt and whatever they found they kept.

A friend of mine had a spider hunt (it was after Halloween). She hid those plastic spider rings around the house and whatever you found, you kept.

For a party at a creek, a friend put some pennies in the water and whatever you found, you kept.

Maybe you could find something to hide for the kids to find, and then they keep it. Consider that the Goodie Bag.

Walgreens often has cute pencils on sale for 6/$1. I've gotten those, note pads, stickers, cute erasers. I've also thrown in a few pieces of candy. A friend always does some significant craft for her dd's birthday. No goodie bags, just the craft item. It's usually a painted or tye-dyed t-shirt, decorated flip-flops, hair pretties, something like that.

I'm with the no-goodie-bag revolution, though. I think the focus of the day gets lost with all the stuff. IMO, the purpose is to honor the birthday child and have some fun.

What I've done, in the past, is make a list of all the children invited to the party, and the birthday child and I head out to the dollar store. We pick out an item (or two that go together, for example, a journal and cute pen) for each child individually. Then we bring them home, and birthday child helps me wrap each gift in colorful paper and label them with names. Then we put the gifts in a big basket, and pass them out to the children after birthday child opens their gifts at the party.

I like this, for several reasons:

It's cheap! :001_smile: Usually, I ended up spending a whole lot more than $1 per goodie bag.

The birthday child spends some time thinking of his friends/cousins and what THEY would like; which is nice, since sometimes around birthdays, children can get a bit 'me' centered, ya know?

No candy. I get SO tired of all the candy!

Kids still ARE kids, and even though we want our children to learn to be happy for others, it can be a bit challenging, especially for the youngest ones. Having a little new toy of their own can make it 'easier' to be happy for the birthday child and his/her new pile of toys. I understand not everyone agrees on this. :001_smile:

I've been to parties where balloons were given instead. I've also been to parties where pinatas were used instead of good bags. Each child is given a goody bag to bring their candy home in. I didn't do goody bags last year at my son's party. We had a wild animal show at our house (it was his 5th b-day so we wanted to do something special) so instead of goody bags, each child received a safari hat (I painted the name of each guest on the hat band with puffy paint) and binoculars on the way in. The safari hats doubled as party hats for the kids. We also did a craft (I think we painted wooden snakes) that they got to take home. All in all, the things the kids went home with cost about as much as the goody bags would have, and they were nicer. We've been on playdates at the houses of some of these kids, and they still have the hats. They use them to play dress-up. I got all of the things through Oriental Trading. If you keep your theme in mind, you might be able to think of something that will work.

Oh! There was actually another year I didn't do goody bags. We did a dinosaur-themed party, and I bought this set of 12 inflatable dinosaurs through Oriental Trading to use as decorations. I gave one to each child as they were leaving. That was big hit :) I had great decorations, got rid of them at the end of the party, each child had something cool that they liked, and I saved money on the dreaded goody bags! I think it came out to a little more than $1.00/child.

For DD's Tinkerbell party last year, I did give goody bags, but I put more useful things in them. First off, I HATE those pointy cone hats, so I avoid them whenever possible, and opt for some sort of costume piece that will fit the theme -- like the safari hats. All of the girls had fairy wings (pirate hats for the male guests -- I couldn't find Peter Pan hats so I went with Captain Hook). You can imagine what a huge hit those were with a group of 4 year-old girls! I got them for $2.00 or $3.00/each at Christmas Tree Shop. Since they had those, I could easily skimp on the goody bags. In the goody bags, each girl had a Tinkerbell pencil, a pretty, decorative scrunchy with ribbons cascading from it (sets of 3 sold for $1.00, and each girl got one scrunchy), a sheet of stickers, a wand, and lip gloss (they sold sets of 12 for just a few dollars at Christmas Tree Shop). We also did a craft (Tinkerbell pillowcases) so they got to take those home.

So there are useful, non-junky things you can send home that won't frustrate the parents to receive, and won't annoy you to put together :) Have fun!

My kids' favorite favors (to give & to receive) are giant candy bars. They cost about a dollar each & I put some of that curly ribbon on it.

It is impressive (to a kid!) & inexpensive.

We call them favors around here. My DH says you hand it to the child and say, "Here's your favor. Now do me a favor and leave." :lol:

Cute idea...

-Find some cheap small pots (maybe the little galvanized metal ones at the Dollar Store or something).

-Buy several packs of some sort of plant or flower seeds.

-Buy one big bag of potting soil and either seperate it out ahead of time into a piece or clotch or just a baggy... or while doing the potting have each kid go get a scoop of soil. (I'd probably try to do the majority of this outside, haha)

-And maybe something to decorate the outside of the pots, maybe some craft paint for each kid to do their name.

-If you wanted you could even buy some moss or something to go over the soil...

-Another thought would be to buy pre-grown plants and help them re-pot it. Younger children might not have the patience or care to wait for a flower to grow.

This could be a little craft during the party and each kid takes their plant home. You could even through in a little lesson or something to make it a bit educational. You may also want to do a small little instruction card with simple instructions for the child to know how to take care of their flower or plant.

Overall it should be pretty cheap, it will last, and it's not just junk... Plus, the kids will most likely take a lot of ownership in thier own plant and adore it!

As a parent though - I don't expect for my kid to bring home some sort of goodie bag. And just because I may decide to do one doesn't mean I expect others to as well. So, feel free to go no goodies! :tongue_smilie:

The very best take home I've done for a party was for my dd at her 7th b-day. I got travel size pillow cases and iron on transfer paper. On each pillowcase we ironed on the phrase - If friends were flowers I'd pick you - and at the party the girls made a fingerprint flower on each case and signed their name. THey all took home their pillowcase with thumbprint flowers from all of their friends. We had a blast doing it and there wasn't a ton of junk to buy or take home.

We usually have a wide range of ages at birthday parties so we do books along the birthday theme. You can usually pick up board books and paperback chapter books for $5-7 which is what I would spend on goody bags anyway (and less if you plan ahead and order from Amazon). We just wrap them in tissue paper with some curling ribbon.

We've done books also which were very popular. They related to the theme of the party. A local bookstore gives a discount if they know it's for a birthday party favor.

Last year ds had a superhero party and I made Tshirts for all the boys using an iron on transfer and a simple computer program. It was very easy and each one had the kids name "SuperJoe" with a simple design of a lightening bolt. I am not particularly crafty or good at computer design and it was an easy project. All the Moms said their boys really loved the shirts.

I tried to skip the goodie bag phenom one year and it was a disaster. I had a cooking party where all the girls made individual pizzas, decorated their own cupcakes and we made homemade twinkies. I had little chef hats and really cute kid aprons that my mom had lovingly made. The hat and the aprons were supposed to be their 'favor.' Of course all the little brats, er I mean kids, wanted were goodie bags. One girl refused to leave w/her mom b/c she hadn't gotten her bag yet. I quickly succumbed and threw together some goodie bags. Now, these were 4 or 5 year olds so their behavior could probably be forgiven, but it was scary how ingrained the whole concept is.

I love some of the ideas here-esp. the big candy bar. I had one friend who used pencil boxes as the 'bag' and stuffed it w/ cheap school supplies. Not exactly a hit w/the kids, but the parents were happy. I know my kids like the candy part best. They're beyond the cheap plastic toys, aka landfill fillers, at this age, but thought they were the bomb when they were younger.

Gift cards are too much of a slippery slope for me. It's like exchanging gift cards w/family members at Christmas.

Count me in on the ban!

Laura

I am in the same boat... I feel wasteful when DD gets a goodie bag and then the minute we get home everything gets thrown away cause it's too small to keep up with or has already broken.

For DD's 3rd birthday, I gave out books. Very young kids got board books; kids my DD's age got Bernstain Bear books; and the older kids got chapter books. I wrote in all of the books as well:

"Thank you for coming to my Birthday Party"

Then I signed her name and put the year.

We went to a party 2 weeks ago and all of the kids were given puzzles.

We've done kites the last two years at DD's birthday party. You can find them at the dollar store or Wal-Mart for $1 in the summer. At my DS's party in December, we did crayons (I bought them in advance at the back-to-school sale for 15 cents) and a coloring book from Dollar Tree. A friend's party recently they gave sunflower growing kits. She got them at Lowe's or Home Depot (don't remember) for $1. They were a huge hit! Another party we've been to recently they gave a sand bucket and shovel.

I would MUCH rather have something like that than a bag full of junk that's going to fall apart in the next couple of hours/days...

Haven't read all the replies, please forgive if this has already been suggested.

I stand at the door as they leave with a bowl of big, beautiful apples and oranges. They may have their pick from the bowl on the way out, as they are told, "Thanks for coming!" with a big smile. Leftovers will not go to waste.

It's not up to me to see that they eat it, or that they even like it (which they mostly do, it's so different from the usual fare). I have gifted them and I am off the hook. The younger the kids, the better this works.

ETA: A small paper bag of home made cookies would work just as well, i think.

Thank you for all the terrific ideas, everyone. I was discussing the idea of not even doing a goodie bag (the party is at Chuck E. Cheese, for pete's sake) with my DH yesterday, and DD6, who was in the next room, came in squawking. She wants to be able to give her friends presents too (hard to argue with that). I said, "Fine! Then it has to be ONE thing, inexpensive, and something worthwhile, not junky." She thought a minute and said, "A notepad and pencil, and one piece of candy."

So yesterday afternoon a friend and I went to Michael's and found the sweetest round notepads (no lines!) in their dollar section and packs of pretty pencils 8/$1. It was the easiest goodie bag I ever put together :D And these are all homeschoolers, so they'll appreciate the contents, thank goodness.

I'm bookmarking this thread though, because I know I'll be revisiting the issue next year! Thanks for sharing your creativity with me.

ETA that I just realized that DD3 will be in preschool for her birthday this year, so I have to do this all a second time! I think I'll do the books for that, though. Hmm....

Edited by melissel

I like to do some sort of craft at the party with all the kids, and then the item they make is their party favor. Use clay and make pots and paint them, OR make sugar cookie dough and have them roll out, cut out, and decorate cookies with a wide array of decorations, bake them while they eat cake & open gifts. Then place each child's cookies in a cute bag for them to take home.

As usual, I am the oddball here. I love making party bags. My two younger ones have birthdays 2 days apart in the fall. I start looking for neat clearance items early in the year. I tuck cool things away as I find them. I really think my kids like them, but I LOVE them! LOL!

I have done so many parties over the years. I think we counted last year and I was at like 24 or so. Anyway, my memory is not all that great, but I can remember last year. My dd had a puppy party. We went to Target and got really cute puppy spiral notebooks and folders on clearance. I think the were like 28 cents each. Those were probably some of the most practical gifts.

This year my dd is having a hippy party. We got bandanas, notebooks, hacky sacs and bracelets. I spent about $3 for each bag. We are also making tye dye t-shirts. I got those at Michael's for 5/$10. So, about $5 each kid. BUT... we are having an at home party. If we were spending money to go to Chuck E. Cheese - that would be THE party and gift bag. It is expensive to go there, so that would have to be it. I actually gave my dd the option of an "away" party this year and she chose our traditional at home party = theme, craft, a few games, pinata, cake and ice cream (no meal).

Edited by Kari C in SC

One of my favorite goodies to give to my kids friends are homemade CD's of music. I let me yahoos pick their favorite 15 songs and then we burn them onto CD's They are a HUGE hit.

WE pick high funk music from the 30's 40's 50's you name it. Clean cut yet fun. songs like jimmy buffet volcano song, moon in the sky - that's amore, banana boat song, purple people eater, herb albert, go you chicken fat. They are such rediculous songs that they work for five year olds to 15 year olds...

samba in sac

I quit giving them a couple of years ago. I hate them, and they annoyed me so I quit. I've been leading a quiet mutiny around here trying to free the world of treat bags. I have sent home something like a craft that we made together, or a bandanna full of candy from the pinata but only if it was a relevant and natural product of the party. One friend sent books last year - a paperback version of her ds's favorite story that was the basis for the theme of the party. Another friend made pinatas for each of the kids. Another had a party at the karate place she works (and her kids attend), she sent home coupons for a free lesson and a broken board as a souvenir.

Goodie bags? Giving gifts to your guests?

Huh.

Guess I'm totally out of the loop, but this has never.ever. occurred to me.

I thought the purpose of a birthday party was for the guest to come and BRING gifts for the birthday child....play games.....eat cake....and leave full of fun and cake. They are there to honor the birthday child.

I've never expected my dc to come home with anything when they go to a birthday party. I know one time the girls decorated t-shirts.....but the mom called in advance and I bought the shirts for my girls in their sizes to send with them....that was their 'game' or fun activity.

My youngest turned 17yo this spring and we had a pizza/gaming party for her. Whole families came. I provided the pizza (called and asked for requests so each guest could have their favorite kind there), and the drinks, and two Wii's with two tvs along with some board games. Everyone played what they wanted and some people just visited. Dd opened her presents and thanked everyone.....and little by little each had to leave and we thanked them for coming......the last ones there got to take home the left-over pizza.....does that count as a goodie bag??? HAHA!

Nope. We don't do 'em here. Never have and never will. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of giving gifts to your guests. Huh.

Great ideas, everyone! We usually do something theme related, often a craft done at the party. A favorite of both of my girls is just what you got-a small notepad and pen or pencil. My sister in law is the best a coming up with unique things: A baseball autographed by my nephew (we still use that), a whole cantaloupe for each guest when my niece LOVED it, a jar of Fluff when my nephew would only eat PB and fluff for lunch, and CDs personalized with songs for the birthday child. Many songs would include their name. At the cantaloupe party, my brother actually found a song called "I love cantaloupe!"

I am glad my children are getting older and goody bags aren't such a big deal (nor is the party, for that matter.) I vote for none at all, but especially no candy and junky trinkets. Have fun at the party.

My friend had an idea in the "kill two birds with one stone" category.

She opened the pinata, took out all the yuk candy, and filled the pinata with goody bags! She sewed extra fabric into the little bags, which were filled with all natural candies and coins and such. That way every kid got equal pinata rewards, and felt they had a goody bag as well. Brilliant!

I know one time the girls decorated t-shirts.....but the mom called in advance and I bought the shirts for my girls in their sizes to send with them.

When I had the girls decorate shirts at my dd's party I bought all the shirts. I think I would have been a little put off being asked to bring a shirt to decorate at a party.

As usual, I am the oddball here. I love making party bags. My two younger ones have birthdays 2 days apart in the fall. I start looking for neat clearance items early in the year. I tuck cool things away as I find them. I really think my kids like them, but I LOVE them! LOL!

I have done so many parties over the years. I think we counted last year and I was at like 24 or so. Anyway, my memory is not all that great, but I can remember last year. My dd had a puppy party. We went to Target and got really cute puppy spiral notebooks and folders on clearance. I think the were like 28 cents each. Those were probably some of the most practical gifts.

This year my dd is having a hippy party. We got bandanas, notebooks, hacky sacs and bracelets. I spent about $3 for each bag. We are also making tye dye t-shirts. I got those at Michael's for 5/$10. So, about $5 each kid. BUT... we are having an at home party. If we were spending money to go to Chuck E. Cheese - that would be THE party and gift bag. It is expensive to go there, so that would have to be it. I actually gave my dd the option of an "away" party this year and she chose our traditional at home party = theme, craft, a few games, pinata, cake and ice cream (no meal).

This sounds really nice and thoughtful.

For me, the party favors that come in packs that break apart are annoying and just junky.

In the past, I have gotten one item that relates to the party theme, i.e. a pair of inexpensive swim goggles for each attendee if it was a pool party. You could also do an inexpensive paperback book for each child.

:iagree:This is what we do. Instead of cramming a buch of junky toys and junky food, we try to buy each child a little something nice that relates to the party theme. We had a luau one year, so we purchased a nice grass skirt for each little girl to take home with them and to wear at the party.

I like this idea!

Sandy

What I've done, in the past, is make a list of all the children invited to the party, and the birthday child and I head out to the dollar store. We pick out an item (or two that go together, for example, a journal and cute pen) for each child individually. Then we bring them home, and birthday child helps me wrap each gift in colorful paper and label them with names. Then we put the gifts in a big basket, and pass them out to the children after birthday child opens their gifts at the party.

I like this, for several reasons:

It's cheap! :001_smile: Usually, I ended up spending a whole lot more than $1 per goodie bag.

The birthday child spends some time thinking of his friends/cousins and what THEY would like; which is nice, since sometimes around birthdays, children can get a bit 'me' centered, ya know?

No candy. I get SO tired of all the candy!

Kids still ARE kids, and even though we want our children to learn to be happy for others, it can be a bit challenging, especially for the youngest ones. Having a little new toy of their own can make it 'easier' to be happy for the birthday child and his/her new pile of toys. I understand not everyone agrees on this. :001_smile: