Menu

Poll about your husband's support for/attitude toward homeschooling

when he saw the benefits for my eldest, who had the most difficulty in conventional school. He ironically is back in school now and doing well, I continue to teach the younger two, but I know dh is a little worried about particularly the younger's social life. Despite this, he is very good with the "moral support" aspect and if happy with their academic progress.

My dh had a very positive public school experience. It was how he became part of Canadian culture (as an immigrant) and later, how he became part of American culture. He was tolerant at first - esp. when I told him when we were dating that I wouldn't marry him unless he was willing to let me homeschool!

Now, I've been surprised to hear him talk about all the benefits. And when I mentioned that we might have to put the kids in p.s. earlier this year because my health was rapidly deteriorating, he's the one who said, "wait, let's ease off on the schooling a bit, work on your health." My health has improved and while he's been a little worried about how behind we are and the resultant change to schooling year around, he's still supportive. But I mentioned in another thread that I can't complain too much or he'll call my bluff and mention putting the kids in p.s. if I can't hack it!

Guest Virginia Dawn
Dh fully supports it in the fact that he believes homeschooling is the best thing for our kids and he funds it ;) but he doesn't do much in the day-to-day,

Same here too.

Dh fully supports the decision to homeschool in our family. He doesn't participate in the day to day acitivity of homeschooling; but he does support me as disciplinary backup when needed, encouragement daily, and gives the occasional help with "homework". I couldn't do it without his support and wouldn't even try.

I have not read any of the other responses so far, so I am just answering the poll.

My husband and I are equally set that homeschooling is the ONLY way to go. God really placed the conviction on our hearts at the same time!

He has absolute trust in my educational decisions and leaves it up to me -- which I am fine with. He will help out during the winter when his work is slow if I ask him to, and he reads bedtime stories, plays games and does flash cards, but 99.9 % is done by me.

He has also attended a few homeschool conventions which we both love.