Menu

This is an old thread but I just wanted to be included! I am in southern Manitoba! No other Manitobans here?

No, but my mother grew up on the shores of one of those 2 huge lakes somewhere around some town called Vogar. Does that almost count? I think there is someone living in Manitoba here.

Ditto to that! ^^^^

Hey, maybe if we approached the moderators, they might split a small section of the sale & swap board off for Canadian sales & swaps..... couldn't hurt to ask, right? It would just be a little subforum - easy to make. I've seen the odd person selling from Canada (I did a search), but maybe if there was a spot specifically for that, more might post --- I know I haven't bothered to post any WTB or for sale simply because I see that 99% of the buyers and sellers are in the states....thinking others will see that and not bother either...but having a specific section might increase the posts and people's willingness to post.....

I do know of a few Canadian yahoo groups for buying/selling:

Homeschooler Haven

Canadian Homeschool Resource Exchange

Canadian Book Exchange

But I don't use them much - I despise the set up of yahoo groups, ugh. This type of forum is *so* much better. :)

Hi, :)

I'm new to the board. We reside in the Ottawa area so I thought I'd check in! I have three boys who all are in school so I guess I'm more of an afterschooler right now. My middle child is rather advanced and I've been forced to go outside of school to get him an appropriate math curriculum. The future plan is possibly to homeschool him and younger brother in the next couple of years (oldest wants to stay in school), probably through an online program. Mostly I'm perusing the board to get ideas for the future!

Hi, :)

I'm new to the board. We reside in the Ottawa area so I thought I'd check in! I have three boys who all are in school so I guess I'm more of an afterschooler right now. My middle child is rather advanced and I've been forced to go outside of school to get him an appropriate math curriculum. The future plan is possibly to homeschool him and younger brother in the next couple of years (oldest wants to stay in school), probably through an online program. Mostly I'm perusing the board to get ideas for the future!

Welcome! We lived in Ottawa from 1994-1996 - beautiful city!!

:iagree:Yes, I agree! We've only been here a little over a year but it is a very nice place - provided you can get used to all that snow!

Funny you should mention snow. On Mother's Day of 1996, it snowed (actually we were living in Hull PQ that year, which I guess is now called something else, but it's across the Ottawa River anyway), and that is the day we made our decision to move to Nova Scotia. I am serious, we were so sick of all the snow and freezing cold! But at least in Ottawa, you get spring in March or April - here, you might see spring by June. It rains all April and part of May usually.

Oh well! :)

Any news by now? Or should we deluge them with PMs?

Unfortunately, the pm is still marked as being "unread" (ie, it wasn't opened) ....I'm not sure why it hasn't been....I went to the 'admin' account, assuming that was the appropriate place (it usually is), but I'll look for another...maybe one of the moderator accounts....SWB's account itself is set so that it doesn't accept pm's at all.....

Funny you should mention snow. On Mother's Day of 1996, it snowed (actually we were living in Hull PQ that year, which I guess is now called something else, but it's across the Ottawa River anyway), and that is the day we made our decision to move to Nova Scotia. I am serious, we were so sick of all the snow and freezing cold! But at least in Ottawa, you get spring in March or April - here, you might see spring by June. It rains all April and part of May usually.

Oh well! :)

I lived there for 4 years; 2 in Nepean & 2 right in Ottawa, but back in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The first few winters there was less snow than normal, but there was an awful lot of it that last winter.

But I never called March spring in Ottawa;). That came in May or June. Of course, having grown up in southwestern BC I grew up being used to crocuses in February and all the deciduous trees growing their leaves in March, not to mention that the grass stays green all winter there.

Oh--I was just in Vancouver Wed & Thurs am visting relatives. I made it to the Sunshine Coast and Kamloops, as well.

I hope you had a good time there =) I love the Sunshine Coast

not to mention that the grass stays green all winter there.
I was in Calgary and Three Hills Alberta one winter and I *thought* they had green grass as well (underneath the snow?) =) but then again it was my wedding week so perhaps I am inclined to remember incorrectly ~

A lot of American moms on the forum seem to support teaching Spanish, which makes sense there I think. Any Canadians trying to teach Chinese? Home schooling is illegal in my home country (Hong Kong), so there doesn't seem to be a lot of resources about home schooling Chinese =(

Any Canadians trying to teach Chinese?

We're thinking about it. I'd like my kids to have a bit of mandarin under their belt before they move to Spanish. I am teaching them Latin, and they know French, so Spanish shouldn't be hard to pick up in their teens, but Mandarin is a totally different beast, so the younger they are, the better. I think.

I am, or will be starting soon. We live in an English household, but with lots of French activities. My eldest has no problems understanding French, and can speak basic French sentences.

Next week I will be signing him up for Chinese Mandarin preschool. It's a Saturday preschool class for 3 hours every Saturday. Once we get started in that I'm hoping to add in extra stuff from the library. What's neat is I can take classes at same time - or take an almost free tia-chi or country line dancing class at the same time. :001_smile:

Something Laura in China (okay, now in Scotland, but not likely to read this thread) strongly recommends is a tutor as it takes a lot of practice to learn the tones, etc in Mandarin. She once gave an example of a Chinese word that sounds like ma, but means a number of different things depending on the tone. A westerner needs a lot of help to really learn to speak it. Her sons, who are already fluent after growing up in China, will be continuing their Mandarin studies and being tutored in Scotland so that they don't lose it.

Last night we were watching a Frasier rerun, and there was a funny scene where Frasier tries to impress an American Chinese woman with a compliment in Mandarin, and he basically said something like "You have a lovely chicken beak"--he didn't have the tones correct.

I recommend anyone who is interested in this ask on the curriculum board because there are others besides Laura who know a fair bit about this.

I have already read all the posts by Laura in China. I was taking part in them. If things go according to plan, (And you know that always happens. :glare:) that after 1 to 2 years in Saturday school he will have had enough exposure to the Mandarin language and be mature enough that hiring a tutor would be really worth it.

But I feel that finding a mandarin tutor for a 4 wiggly four year old would be difficult. Right now I just want him to get use to hearing the language. I honestly don't mind if he doesn't speak it at all. As long as he enjoys the class and seems to be content being in a Mandarin atmosphere I'll be happy.

Such a memory I have! :o Too bad there aren't Mandarin speaking playmates on your street (or are there?) When I was 3 I picked up a German dialect very, very quickly that way. But you're right, hearing those sounds once a week for a couple of years will definitely help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all

I'm a Canadian who has been living in the states for the past few years. Our oldest is Canadian (born in K-W), but the younger 2 are American. Prior to moving here I lived in several towns/cities in Southern Ontario: Sarnia area, Toronto area, the shores of Lake Huron, Ottawa and Kitchener-Waterloo.

My parents still live in Ottawa so we visit there a couple of times a year. I love Ottawa, especially in the summer. This past summer we took our kids to the Canada Day celebrations at Parliament Hill. It's the first time I have done that in years! Brought back lots of memories!

I'm a Canadian who has been living in the states for the past few years. Our oldest is Canadian (born in K-W), but the younger 2 are American. Prior to moving here I lived in several towns/cities in Southern Ontario: Sarnia area, Toronto area, the shores of Lake Huron, Ottawa and Kitchener-Waterloo.
I was raised in Sarnia, have lived in Kitchener-Waterloo, Windsor and Kingston, and am also living in the US. :D

Hi all

My parents still live in Ottawa so we visit there a couple of times a year. I love Ottawa, especially in the summer. This past summer we took our kids to the Canada Day celebrations at Parliament Hill. It's the first time I have done that in years! Brought back lots of memories!

Welcome!

Did you know that you can apply for Canadian citizenship for your American born dc? All 3 of mine have dual citizenship, which may come in handy later when they go to university.

Welcome!

Did you know that you can apply for Canadian citizenship for your American born dc? All 3 of mine have dual citizenship, which may come in handy later when they go to university.

We had heard that somewhere, but haven't looked into it yet. Just don't want the hassle of the paperwork yet, but I suppose we should get around to it sometime....although we still have a good ten years or so to take care of it. And yes, that certainly would help with university!

We had heard that somewhere, but haven't looked into it yet. Just don't want the hassle of the paperwork yet, but I suppose we should get around to it sometime....although we still have a good ten years or so to take care of it. And yes, that certainly would help with university!

I waited a good 10 years or so from the time my eldest was born, but the price does go up from time to time. The older the dc are, the fussier they are about the photo specifications, too. We haven't got them Canadian passports yet, though.

The older the dc are, the fussier they are about the photo specifications, too. We haven't got them Canadian passports yet, though.
It's an odd specification too, with a white strip at the bottom. There's only one place here in Portland that can take pictures in accordance with it. However, if you visit Canada often you can always get the pictures there. I really do need to get the girls' applications in... :blush:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We spend our academic year in Miami (home) and spend the summer in beautiful Nova Scotia on Little Mush-a-Mush lake (summer home). My husband is Canadian, from BC. I LOVE Canada and hope to move there permanently in the next few years.

We're always looking for friends when we summer in Nova Scotia -- would love to hear from others in the Bridgewater/Mahone Bay/Lunenberg area. (We're in Blockhouse.)