Menu

Female Issues question

I stopped nursing dd late last Summer. Last year (I believe it was February) I had spotting for 3 weeks after my period should have been over. I saw a Dr. and she recommended I take 800mg Motrin 3x a day for so many days in order to thicken my blood and make it stop. The other option she gave me was taking BC pills :rolleyes: (I didn't take the Motrin and it stopped on its own). For me, BC pills are not an option- they do bad things to me, I don't want artificial hormones, etc.

Then around September I had a period about 2 weeks after my last one started. :eek:

When my last period was due, I had spotting, and then started a week later.

Now, it's been two weeks since my last period and I've started again. :(

Are there any books about herbal remedies for this? Has anyone tried any herbal remedies with any success in treating such a condition?

I also have horrible PMS- my mood is up and down relating to what time of the month it is, and it's NOT fun. Thanks for any tips/input.

Yuck. Extra periods, how annoying! Is it at all possible that you're starting peri-menopause? (I have no idea how old you are, but for some I know it can start surprisingly young.) My mom had peri-menopausal symptoms for years before she actually started menopause, and she was only in her mid-30s, I think.

IMO, if your GYN doesn't have answers, I'd keep looking for one who does. If you don't think it's menopause related, then I'd want more answers.

In regard to supplements, I think Vitex and chasteberry (recently recommended by someone here, can't recall who) are typically thought to balance hormones. You might look into those.

Good luck!

I would recommend seeing an osteopath or other doctor who can prescribe natural hormone replacement therapy (NHRT -- lots of info on the web). NHRT consists of bio-identical hormones that are given to balance hormones in your system. Your experts indicate probable imbalance.

If you decide to try natural remedies that include estrogen, *be sure* you balance out the estrogen with progesterone. Unopposed estrogen is one of the risk factors for cancer.

What I did to find an osteopath was look in the yellow pages under pharmacies to find a compounding pharmacy. I called them and asked for names of doctors who prescribed NHRT.

Incidentally, my HMO covered all the osteopath visits, the saliva testing, and the NHRT prescriptions (not counting co-pays, of course).

I'm the one who keeps recommending Chaste Berry (Vitex). It isn't necessarily a cure-all but it's helping me tremendously. I get it in capsule form and it works fine (I used to believe you HAD to use the tinctures). I take two capsules a day - yolu have to remember to take it consistently for two - three months before you can judge the difference it's going to make. It's not a drug - it "tones" your cycle.

Give it a try. Unlike lots of other supplements which bother my stomach, Chaste Berry has never bothered me in any way.

You can take it all month, or you can stop during your period - whichever you like.

I'm the one who keeps recommending Chaste Berry (Vitex). It isn't necessarily a cure-all but it's helping me tremendously. I get it in capsule form and it works fine (I used to believe you HAD to use the tinctures). I take two capsules a day - yolu have to remember to take it consistently for two - three months before you can judge the difference it's going to make. It's not a drug - it "tones" your cycle.

Give it a try. Unlike lots of other supplements which bother my stomach, Chaste Berry has never bothered me in any way.

You can take it all month, or you can stop during your period - whichever you like.

Thanks Jennifer. I didn't realize they're the same thing. I actually have some on order, hoping to get it soon. Of course I ordered the tincture though! :rolleyes: I'll get the caps next time; I think they were cheaper.

I have no idea how you know if you are starting peri-menopause :confused: But I will google that now, :)

I am 31, and until I stopped breastfeeding dd last summer, I had been pregnant and/or breastfeeding for 7 years. :eek:

My mom, her sisters, and her mother all have had their periods until their mid-fifties. My mom and her sister are also (in their late 50's) going through the hot-flashes and other symptoms now.

We are a military family, and the Dr. I saw (actually, was probably a nurse practitioner, I can't remember but they are keen on giving "Dr." appointments to Nurse Practitioners here) was not a Gyn. :rolleyes: Looks like I need to make an appointment with an actualy Gyn, it's time for a pap anyway

I hope I can get an appt. with an actual Gyn before we this Summer, LOL.

I would recommend seeing an osteopath or other doctor who can prescribe natural hormone replacement therapy (NHRT -- lots of info on the web). NHRT consists of bio-identical hormones that are given to balance hormones in your system. Your experts indicate probable imbalance.

If you decide to try natural remedies that include estrogen, *be sure* you balance out the estrogen with progesterone. Unopposed estrogen is one of the risk factors for cancer.

What I did to find an osteopath was look in the yellow pages under pharmacies to find a compounding pharmacy. I called them and asked for names of doctors who prescribed NHRT.

Incidentally, my HMO covered all the osteopath visits, the saliva testing, and the NHRT prescriptions (not counting co-pays, of course).

I self-diagnosed myself with low progesterone after a second miscarriage in a row when I was 32. It was confirmed by blood tests at my ob/gyn's, though. Incidently, my current midwife & doctor are completely ignorant to NHRT. They just write a presciption for the dose I request (I use a compounding pharmacy.)

Definitely look into NHRT & perimenopause. Arm yourself with info b/c chances are a mainstream dr/midwife will be completely ignorant about it.

Amy