Menu

When should a kid take medicine to fight fever?

Fever is supposed to be the body's way of defending itself (something about preventing viruses from reproducing above 101F -- I am sketchy on this ...)

Assume your kid has contracted some strain of flu and feels lousy.

When should you take meds to bring it down? I know when my kids have a fever, they look and feel horrible. And Tylenol makes them feel better (if they can keep it down). But if the fever is not above say 101F, should you really try to bring it down right away? I'm guessing not. And how long would you let it go untreated if you can get fluids in them?

For me it depends on how they're acting. If they have a fever of 101.5, but are still happy and playing I'll let them be. If they have a fever of 100.3 and they're acting miserable I'll often give them some tylenol or motrin. If the fever is 102 I'll probably give something either way, definitely over 103 just because I'm a nervous nelly. But the only time my kid had a fever as high as 103 they were acting miserable anyway.

I give them meds when they are miserable with a fever. It's not a specific temperature; just a Mom gut kind of thing. If they are lying around, with a fever, I won't give them anything. But, if they are really lethargic and have "that look" they get meds!

HTH!

It depends on the kid. If one of my kids is sick and has a fever of 101, I wouldn't do anything to treat it. If one of my friends' kid had a fever of 103, they probably wouldn't because he's that sort of kid, who spikes pretty high fevers (like 101 with a cold). If my kid was the sort who rarely got above 100, no matter how ill, I might treat 101.

If I felt compelled to address a fever, it would be with cool baths, lavender, etc., not drugs.

But, both my husband and I are/were paramedics, and we're not going to freak out over a febrile seizure. We do keep an eye on things, but we've become accustomed to our kids' illness trajectories, so we would be on the lookout for something outside of the normal course of things.

My kids pretty much decide for themselves. They have been sick so much in their lives, they know when they need it. If they feel bad, they ask for it. Sometimes, I offer, but they don't want it. Now I over rule them sometimes if it is too high, or I can tell they really don't feel good. Otherwise, I usually leave it up to them. They both have a history of running 105+, so we keep close tabs on it.

I agree with letting the body just rest & let the fever do it's job, unless it's a high fever. Low grade fever, I typically give tylenol or advil before they go to bed to help them have a good night's sleep, but during the day let it go, unless they are really uncomfortable or have 'that look.'

It's nice to hear others do something similar, as I'm always wondering if I ought to give med more often than I do.

I havent read all the other replies....but here's what I do...

If the child acts pretty good despite the fever, no matter how high it is, I do not medicate. But if the fever gets to be about 104, I start to get a bit nervous. I've never had a child feeling good with a fever around 104 degrees though.

If they begin to feel really lousy, laying around, lethargic, etc, I give them medicine.

If they are running a fever at bedtime, I always medicate at bedtime because I do not want the fever to spike really high overnight and I wont be aware of it. And I set my alarm for the middle of the night to check their fever as well.

If they act even a little bit not like themselves I treat for fever. I'd rather they feel good and have the fever a few days longer and be treated for it, than be miserable.

This is what we do too, and I know that by treating the fever we are looking at a longer wait for the illness to go away. Once we had what was a 3 day bug (everyone around this area got it it seemed) turn into a 9 day ordeal because I did not want them to be miserable with the fever. They just ended up suffering a bit less for a longer period of time rather than getting it over with.

I don't give Tylenol until the fever is over 102 during the day. I always give Tylenol before bed because I will not be able to monitor it.

The fever itself doesn't make my boys feel miserable, but it does keep them calm and sleepy so that they get the rest they need -- which is more when they're sick. If they have pain, I do give them Tylenol (like sore throat).