Menu

Introduction Thread for Regulars & Newbies. I'll start :)

Beth in SW WA

I just realized I never posted here, and actually I don't know that I ever "formally" introduced myself on the old boards..

I'm a 38 yr old Muslim American (convert), married to 33 yr old dh, who is a naturalized US citizen of Indian origin. We've been married for 13 yrs, and have three kids ds 10, ds 6 and dd 2. We lived in Chicago for 9 yrs, then moved to Arabia and have been here for 4+ years.

We've always homeschooled our kids, and although we take it year by year, expect to homeschool for the duration.

Kate

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi! My name is Shannon and I currently live in NJ with my husband and 7 y.o. son. We moved here 4 1/2 yrs. ago for my husband to attend seminary and we've got another 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 yrs. to go!

If you would have told me 8 years ago that I would be homeschooling I would have said, "Yeah, right!" But that's all we've done and I cannot imagine doing anything else.

I just recently found this board and I can tell already that you all provide a wealth of knowledge and advice about homeschooling.

Shannon

I posted an intro on the General board but I'll copy it here since this is where I'm reading and posting more:

I'm Nikita, homeschooling in southern Ontario with dh and my 2 children who have never been to school. We do "classical lite", so I have lurked here for a while but never posted - I feel like my experience is a bit different from a lot of folks who have a more structured homeschool. I love reading everyone's comments on these boards, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed by all that you accomplish with your kiddos - my older one is just not academically inclined even though he's bright. So...

13yo son (grade 8) is currently doing Singapore's New Syllabus Math, and Galore Park's Latin Prep 1 (thanks to Laura in China for recommending it!) We follow the suggestions in The Writer's Jungle for writing, because he is such a reluctant writer, although he's done some R&S grammar in the past and we've dabbled in lots of other writing programs unsuccessfully. We're also taking a break from formal science and history right now and unschooling those, as he has his plate full with a bunch of outside activities. He's been involved in First Lego League for the past 3 years as well. These outside activities are crucial for him as he is so social - it's getting harder and harder for us to keep homeschooling as most of his peers are drifting off to institutional schools for high school and he feels the isolation.

9yo daughter (grade 4) is finishing up Miquon Math supplemented with Math Mammoth right now (then we'll switch to Singapore), and L'Art de Lire French, also Writer's Jungle for writing and R&S 3 Grammar. I'm using Nebel's for science for her, and SOTW although not on a strict schedule. I'll be starting the Trail Guide geography program with both of them in a couple of weeks (after a family vacation). She's involved in a lot of extra-curricular stuff too, mostly music- and dance-related.

Nikita

Hi. My name is Debbie and I'm a Kansan, currently living in London. Prior to our move at the end of May 2007, DS11 had been in ps and DS6 was at a private K. Homeschooling is something I had thought about before (I was doing some afterschooling) and after having a horrible 4th grade year, we decided that our move provided the perfect opportunity. We'll probably be here another year but I'm not sure how long I'll hs after that. Things are going well with DS6 and I can see continuing with him but I feel like I'm failing DS11. :( It's Feb. and I feel like we're just starting to find our groove. Is it always this hard when you take them out of school? But then again when I think about it, once we move back to KS I won't have as many interesting things to go see/do so getting everything done shouldn't be as big of a challenge. Oops, got a little off track there. :) Anyway, I'm glad to have found this wonderful forum because you all are a wealth of information!! Many thanks to you all!

Debbie

I just found this board. I've been hsing for 6.5 years. I've been married to the love of my life for 16 years. We have four sons, ages 12, 10, 7 & 4. We live in frigid MN. I read the book WTM and gleaned many good ideas and perspectives from it.

Well better late than never. I'm Stacy and I'm homeschooling my ds(5th) and dd (2). I homeschooled ds K-2 and then he attended ps for 3rd and 4th and he's back home this year (5th). We live in California. I love the moms here on these boards. They're a helpful bunch. I've been on these boards for a few years now. (With a two year break during ds's public schooling.) I took a board break for a few weeks in Jan and when I returned...Wow! A new forum! Gotta confess, I miss the simplicity of the old boards, but change is a good thing, so I'm trying hard to figure out all the new bells and whistles.

I live in a small rural town in Illinois with my husband and three of my four boys (ages 21, 12, 10, 9). We decided to homeschool when my oldest son returned from living with his father in Georgia for two years. He was flunking out of the public school. He was in eighth grade and could not borrow to subtract or do anything that resembled long division. In spite of that , he was enrolled in pre-algebra. I was concerned that if I did not pull him out and get him up to speed he would end up dropping out because of sheer frustration.

My second son was enrolled in Kindergarden at the public school and was working at the third grade level. They refused to test him, promote him,or teach him where he was. He was bored senseless. At that point, we decided that even though we were not exactly sure what we were doing we could not possibly mess up their education much more than it already was.

The Well Trained Mind was a Godsend in helping us find some sense of direction. We were overwhelmed by the sheer volume of resources available and found that many did not fit with our philosophy of education. SWB helped to clarify our curriculum choices and enabled us to locate rigorous and challanging programs so we could wade through the twaddle and finally pursue a superior education,

We're all native Floridians here: myself, along with DH, DS9, DD4 and DD2. The 2007-2008 school year is our first year homeschooling and DH wanted us to use the K12 virtual academy this year. I am not sure what route we will take next year, but I am quite intrigued by TWTM and throughly enjoyed listening to SWB at FPEA last May.