Menu

Introduction Thread for Regulars & Newbies. I'll start :)

Beth in SW WA

Hi gang,

After 6 years of private Christian school, we brought our kids home this year for a hybrid form of classical education. I read SWB's book over the summer and cried myself to sleep because I felt I had short-changed my kids by giving them a mediocre education at what I thought was an excellent school. They were not challenged -- but worst of all, they were not inspired to learn or grow.

We have hired a Latin tutor and Writing tutor. The rest we hammer out at home together. The kids work fairly independently. I am a strong proponent of self-education, for many practical reasons.

We also have 2 little girls we adopted from China who will most likely attend a local classical school which is also a homeschool co-op. Our 4-year-old reads at about the 4th grade level -- so I'm not sure what shape or form her education will look like.

I feel so blessed to read the posts here. I told my husband that the smartest women I know are on TWTM boards.

Thank you, SWB, for all you have done to help us in our journeys....

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Colleen, and I live with dh, ds9, and dd7 in eastern Canada (southeastern Canada?). We've been here for 11 years, and married for 13 (previously lived in Ottawa, Canada's capital city). I'm from the States, and before getting married, I served for several years in Youth With A Mission (YWAM), an international missions organization. That's where dh and I met.

I read the WTM when ds was about 3 or 4, and was very overwhelmed by it. I read it again when he was 6 and when I was clueless about how to go about educating him. Instantly I was onto the plan and have been ever since, with modifications here and there. I am SO grateful for SWB's books, teaching CDs, these message boards, you ladies here......WTM has gone from being a mere plan to being more understood by me - the whys and the hows.

I basically homeschool and manage the home. I am contemplating taking up tutoring in reading, since I did it for two years a few years ago. But I'm not sure yet, because I don't want it to overtake the homeschooling. However, it's good money around here.....how do you other classical educators manage school, home, and working at home anyway as your kids get older? Ds is heading into logic stage work next summer.....

ciao.

I am a mom of 7 kiddos ages 12 down to 3 year old twins. I have been married for almost 14 years.

I grew up in Minnesota and love the outdoors.

And I can't think of anything else right now except that I should really be getting dinner started. I just need to get into the larvae stage, it will be at least one goal accomplished today!:rolleyes:

Cheri

We live in Southern Maine. I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 13 years. We have 4 boys ages 3,5,9,11. We sent the 2 older boys to a private Catholic school until the oldest was in 3rd grade. We pulled them out in the middle of the year for so many reasons but most of all because of the lack of challenge and the way that they took my ds that loved to read and discover and squashed it with busy work. This is our third year HS. The first year was just the second half and we pretty much just flew by the seat of our pants. The second year we did Abeka because that was all I had heard of. It provided a good education but not the reading, discussion and writing that I was looking for. I spent that year researching HS philosophies and came across WTM and later LCC. We know lean more LCC but use SOTW and a 4yr history cycle. I feel like we have found our groove. I am looking forward to starting from scratch with 5 yo ds next year. I am currently working outside the home as a respiratory therapist Friday - Sunday but am going to drop the Friday shift next year when we add in K. This year the older boys use Friday to finish up any left over reading and writing.

I am Beth and I live in NW Washington State. I have been married almost 19 years and have 2 dds: 9 yo 4th grader and a 6yo Kinder. My oldest dd went to K and 1st in PS. We decided to HS that summer. I read WTM and the rest is history. I have never enjoyed anything more than I have homeschooling. My dds are thriving and I am so glad we took the plunge. Neo-Classical style homeschooling has really fit our family and my personality. I also work full-time as a community college counselor so I am a busy person!

We've always homeschooled our kids. I heard about it in highschool and knew I wanted to homeschool my future children. Dh started kindergarten knowing how to read & read well...he was an intelligent bored kid who got into much trouble. When I told him about homeschooling he knew that was what he wanted for his future children. So we got married. Well, that wasn't the only reason we got married...we sure liked each other a lot too! :D

I read The WTM when my oldest was 1st grade age or so and have been reading these boards on & off ever since! I've used a lot of different methods and publishers, always trying to find the perfect fit. In retrospect, while it made each individual year good, it hasn't necessarily been good for progression. I'm starting to worry about highschool... :eek:

(cross posted from Gen board) I hope I can keep up!

I've been around for about six years now, on and off (homeschooling that long too). Married to my better half for 17 years, a couple since 1983

We have two girls, Mackenzie 12 and Fiona 7. Numerous pets from a Golden to odd looking aquatic frogs.

DD 12 went to a small private school for three years but we ran out of money and I fell out of love with the school on the whole. From the start of this adventure, I have always used WTM mixed with a few other resources, and I'm always looking for new ideas and suggestions.

Cheers!

Hi I am Tess and I live in SE Virginia. My Dh and I always wanted to homeschool our children. I spent years researching curriculum, but once I read WTM I knew I had found what I wanted for my children. We follow the guidelines of the books but not strictly in regards to time spent daily. When the work is done it's done. I know as they grow up we will all be learning so much more than a ps could have offered them. I do hope to start teaching piano in the fall for some extra money. Otherwise my job in this house is education and managing the home :-)

Hi all! I am Linda and I live in NE Oklahoma. I have 2 amazing daughters 7 & 4 yrs. and this is our first year of full-time home education. Both of the girls attended a small private school for academically gifted students on the campus of a local university until this year. I wasn't terribly disappointed in the education they were receiving, but I missed them so much!! My main reason for home educating the girls is so that I can actually *raise* them rather than merely watch them grow up. We're having a great time and I'm so glad to have found TWTM in the beginning.

Enjoying the process ~

Linda

I'm Kara and I live in NW FL with my dh and our two dd's (ages 4 & 2). Both girls have multiple allergies - so with that consideration and the hopes that we can give them a better, individually-tailored education than they would get in ps we decided to hs. We just happened to find TWTM and both dh and I read it and completely agreed that this was the way to go. I have been reading the boards for quite a while now, even though we're just in pre-school, and have found so many great ideas and suggestions! We are enjoying pre-school and I'm looking forward to teaching (and learning) so much over the next years!

I have 2 dds one in Kindergarten and one in 2nd grade. I have been frequenting the boards for just over 2 years now.

We use a mix of Classical, Waldorf, Charlotte Mason, and Montessori materials and ideas. I have come to the point where I am mostly writing my own curriculum because I have spent too much trying to bend it to fit the needs of my child.

I do think that Spell to Write and Read and Singapore are the best out there.

Jessica, 30 yr old

married to dh 5 years

two kids- dd7 (prev. marriage) and ds3

pet- Jack, 4.5 months old (Golden Retriever)

We live in Southwest Georgia until we move someplace else in GA this June or next June ('09)

My Hometown- Charleston, SC

Dd7 attended public school K in the next county ($500/yr fee) plus transportation costs and we decided it would be worth it to try homeschooling. Dh says the kids will never set foot in a public school again. I told him, "yep, if they go to school it'll be private!" Lol.

Bugging everyone aka Contributing on the WTM boards since May '06

I'm Arwen, 28 yo mom to Chelsea 9, Megan 6 and Cassidy 3. We live in British Columbia, Canada and have always homeschooled. It must be the BEST thing I've ever done. We're in our 5th year and I have no doubts that we'll keep on going through high school.

Hi all,

I'm Chris, and I live in Northern VA. I'm homeschooling my ds18, who is a jr because we held him back in 3rd grade, and my dd7, in second grade. I also have a ds 16, who is currently in rehab nearby. This is our 3rd year homeschooling.

We decided to homeschool dd because she was reading at 4, and we just wanted to keep her interested and "innocent." I had taught in my boys' preschool, so I always knew what they were doing at school because I planned most of it. When dd came along, I put her in preschool for two days a week, but missed her. That contributed to me wanting to homeschool her. In addition, a dear friend was planning on homeschooling her kiddos, and it sounded like so much fun! (She's phenomenal, and intro'd me to WTM.)

I've been married 22 years to my husband, who is a priest, and yesterday celebrated my 45th birthday. Being an older mom with both a high schooler and a grammar stage kid has allowed me the privilege of seeing both where we've been and where I want to go with homeschooling. Ds 18 had lots of learning and social issues (not Aspie, but pretty close), so we tried private schools, Montessori, and public school before we decided to homeschool. Ds actually requested it, since we were going to hs dd.

We've used Omnibus, Apologia, various Bible curriculum, with a strong lit curriculum for high school. We use (for the most part) the WTM rec's for 2nd--love SOTW!

Unfortunately, this may be our last year to homeschool, as I have debt to pay, and need to go back to work. It's a difficult, heart-wrenching decision. I also have to be careful to be available for my middle son, who will hopefully be home from rehab in March or April.

Hi I am Candy and I live in Georgia. Married to my better half for 12 years, been a couple for 14 years. We have 3 children. We've always homeschooled our kids. I read The WTM when my oldest was in 1st grade and have been reading these boards ever since! The boards have helped me a lot!!:D

Hi all,

I'm Amy, married to Bud for almost 15 years. We have a 9 yo ds and a 7 yo dd who we've always homeschooled. We added a new daughter, Romy, to our family in July! We live in Texas and I love the heat!

Bud works from home, so we get a lot of family time which I love.

I love TWTM and get lots of great ideas and info from these boards. As my oldest moves into logic, we will probably be going into a more LCC style (even though I've yet to read the book, and I'm holding off on buying it until the new edition is out), but continuing our history in TWTM manner. I'll also be bumping up science, as that's "my thang".

I've made a commitment to stay off the computer until after our official school day is over, so I will only be here in the afternoon or late evening.

I'm Jami (formerly Jami in MO, then Jami in TX) currently in the DFW area. I "discovered" classical education in 2000, pre-children. I started reading the main names out there at that time...David Hicks, TWTM, Douglas Wilson, Susan S. Macauley, Charlotte Mason. Dh and I were strongly drawn to a Great Books/Great Ideas education for our children and then to the homeschooling lifestyle as a means for accomplishing this.

I've been on the boards (with increasing frequency) since 2001 after my first child was born. Our educational philosophy and practices have been primarily shaped by the WTM, people here on the board, The Latin-Centered Curriculum, Memoria Press/Highlands Latin School, and Charlotte Mason's writings as implemented by AmblesideOnline. I don't know what camp we always fall into, I just like to call what we do "education". :)

Um, let's see, what else would you like to know in a general introduction? My children are brilliant, my husband is handsome ;)

Dh is a graphic designer and game designer, if you're into Facebook let me know I'll point you to the game his company has created there. Careful though, it's addictive.

Jami

This is our 3rd yr homeschooling. I started trying to stick closely to the WTM model but have relaxed a lot since then. I still value it as a guide though.

We've always been independent hsers but now we are moving to a new state and I think we may try their homeschool program they offer thru the school (you are dual enrolled). It has many extra class offerings, field trips, and best of all for me-other hs moms to interact with ;)

It should be interesting to say the least.

I've been reading the WTM board for over 2 yrs and have gotten so much from them. I think the change is great.

My name is Lori, married to dh for almost 11yrs. We live in North Texas. We have a dd 10, ds 6, and ds 4. We have been homeschooling for almost 3 years. Dd was in ps though the 2nd grade when we just couldn't take it anymore. I had never really heard of homeschooling until a new family joined our church that homeschooled and just talking with them let me know there was really another option out there other than ps. We couldn't afford private school. So, we went against every member of our families and most of our friends advice, and started to homeschool. Dd has had a hard road getting up to grade level these last 3 years and is still struggling but it is amazing how far she has come. It is amazing how much damage being in ps from K-2 did. We just enrolled her in K12 and we are loving it. With ds6 we are following WTM suggestions and he is doing great. Ds4 we are doing http://www.letteroftheweek.com and BFIAR. The are both doing great.

Hope everyone has a good evening,

Lori

I'm Robyn. I've lurked at the old boards from time to time so I figured I would pop in and say hello. I am in southeastern Massachusetts and I have two boys, 9yrs and 17 mos. I've homeschooled my oldest since K, mostly with WTM. I tried to go in a more Waldorf-y direction for a bit but it just didn't work out for us. So, here we are starting from scratch half-way through the school year.:rolleyes:

I also watch my nephew(4) and niece(18 mos) a couple of days a week. The four of them keep me quite busy, esp my tyrannical toddler.

I'm Jean in Northern CA. We have two girls, 7 and 4. I read WTM when my oldest was two and was hooked; it was the book that converted me to homeschooling. It was like someone had reached into my brain and figured out my ideal education. I'm still sticking to that frame, we love it.

I'm a librarian and I work a little on weekends, here and there. I sew a lot--lots of quilts and some clothes. Someone got me into heirloom sewing, which you have to be crazy to do (and I am). We do kung fu and Musikgarten too, and my husband is currently starting his own software business.

I'm Jenny, living in Central Florida for the last nine years. I started the homeschooling journey when my daughter was three, added my son when the time came, and sent my daughter off to college this year. So, I'm down to just one at home these days. He keeps me quite busy, though.

When my daughter was younger, we took a much more eclectic approach. I had heard of TWTM, but always assumed it wasn't right for us, for a variety of reasons. Only when my daughter came to me and asked what we were going to do to make sure she was ready for college did I actually go look at the book. Together, we researched all different kinds of high school curricula and looked at the graduation requirements in our state and the admission requirements for various colleges. And we ultimately found ourselves really drawn to TWTM and the classical approach. (We do a LOT of tweaking, though.)

My son is now nine and working above grade level in pretty much all subjects. He also has outside interests that keep us hopping (and driving all over the state). He's pretty heavily involved in the performing arts, takes several dance classes a week, sings with a choir, is in his third year of piano lessons and does as much theatre as I will let him.

He still says he's going to be an engineer when he grows up, though. His dream is to go to MIT, and he looks forward every month to launching model rockets with his dad.

--Jenny

I'm Alice, living in Northern Virginia (suburbs of Washington DC). I work part-time as a pediatrician. I have two boys, age 4 and 15 months. We have many friends who home-school and started thinking about it seriously about a year ago. I read WTM at that time and loved it...I think mostly because it's the education I wished I had had.

We're obviously very much in the early stages. I'm trying to take the advice of wise Moms who have told me to take it easy now and just let my boys be little. We mostly do a lot of reading, which has been somewhat structured around a Letter of the Week kind of thing. We're about to start doing some FIAR just to help me as I'm a structure/planning kind of girl. I just added in Singapore Earlybird 1A and ETC 1 (just this week) as my son has always seemed to like workbooks and something a little more structured. So far, it's been good and only about 15 minutes a day.

I've learned a lot from being a lurker for the past year....thanks to all of the great women here!

I didn't post much on the old board but thought I would introduce myself now.

My name is Asma, I live in Texas with my husband of almost 8 years and three children (5yo ds, 3yo ds, 1yo dd). I feel like I am just getting started homeschooling this year even though I have been teaching my son since he was three. I guess I feel its official since he will be six soon and "officially" school age. I am still consider putting him into one of the magnet schools here because I have severe doubts about my ability to home school but these boards have helped me tremendously and my confidence is growing.

Anyway, thought I would just chime in with the intro and thank you ladies for all the great knowledge I've gained from you.

Hi all! I've been married to my dh for 16 years and we have three children. My oldest ds is 11, dd is 8, and ds is 3.

We started this homeschooling journey when my oldest ds was in 1st grade....I was introduced to TWTM and frequented the boards then. A little later in life I returned to work FT (I'm a nurse in that other life) and so my ds went back to school and dd went to K in public school.

Last year we made the move from NW Florida to Central Florida due to my husband's job change- that allowed me to come home full time and resume homeschooling! It's been quite a journey but one I'm thankful the Lord has led us on and we plan to homeschool the whole way through!

We follow a lot of the TWTM suggestions with a few tweaks here and there......I'm certainly still finding my way in that respect but I love these boards for the wealth of information and the support they provide. :)

I did not post much on the old board, because I was mainly just researching and trying to gather ideas for the future. My sister gave me WTM when my ds was about 18 mos. old. It really put a kink in my career plans. I pretty much knew at that point that we would be hs's (prayerfully for life). DH has worked very hard to support us financially so that I can be home with my two little ones (now 4 and 2). I absolutely cannot imagine sending them to school at 7:00 in the morning and not seeing them again until 3:15.

We have so much fun using a variety of resources for preschool. I am just trying to enjoy each day and keep the house clean.

Laurel T.

Hey there! I'm Brittney. I live in Mid. TN with my dh of almost 10 years. He is finishing up BA's in English and French this semester...FINALLY!:D We're in the process of filling out grad. school applications so he can get his PhD in English (Medieval Literature) and teach at a university. We will be moving to one of 9 states this fall. (N.CA, CT, OR, MO, NM, AZ,WV, MI, or staying in TN)

This is my second "official" year homeschooling my two boys, 4.5 & 6.99 (7 on 1/25!). Classical education (well, neo classical...I just finished reading LCC:)) is a great fit for our family (but am also looking to incorporate more of the LCC). I am striving to give my boys the education I wish I had the privilege of receiving. Great thing is I am receiving it as I teach them! That is the beauty of Homeschooling!

Personally, I love to travel (especially in Western Europe), get comfy in book stores, learn just about anything, visit antique stores, and buy curriculum!

The experience, knowledge, and wisdom shared on these boards are priceless! Thank you:D

On the old board I posted as Anne Marie, I have used the new board as a chance to change over to our school name. I have been homeschooling 4 years now, and read WTM about a year before I started. I was homeschooled myself from 3rd grade - 12th, but was not really ready to commit to homeschooling when I first had kids. My husband was a public school graduate, and really had no issues with ps at the time - and said he would NEVER pay for private :) When my first was getting close to school age, I realized I was not ready to send him off to spend 7 hrs a day in a room, when all he wanted was to be outside! So we did K as a trial, and 4 years later still take it a year at a time . My husband is a great supporter, and I now have 4 kids, 2 school age. WTM was what gave me the confidence that yes, I could homeschool my kids thru highschool if I wanted to, though we follow a LCC approach more now. I have enjoyed this board for 4 years now, and appreciate all the wonderful ideas I get from here! Thanks to all of you who take the time to post your hard work, I love this board! Anne Marie

I've been married to my husband 33years!! We have 5 children, 29, 28, 25, 22 and oops 10. When my 22 year old was a senior in high school her baby sister was ready to start kindergarten. She begged me not to put her in public school and to homeschool her. This started our journey. She is now in 5th grade. I discovered these boards shortly after starting to homeschool and have gleaned a lot of information since then. We use TOG and love it!!

My name is Cynthia and I live in Alabama. I have 3 children. ds 1 is 12, ds 2 is 10, dd is 3. We have always homeschooled. I have been reading the boards for about 3 years now, but decided to start posting when the new forums started. I have learned so much from these boards.

Guest wellpleasedmom

Hi everyone! We have 6 beautiful children. I'm a mom in my mid 40's. I feel the joy of grandparents when my children enter a room. My heart literally fills with joy and contentment. I've been homeschooling from the beginning. My husband and I have been married 22 years! Yahoo. It's always been a pleasure to read this forum. So much help at your finger tips!

Glad to be here.

I'm Erica. I only have 1 child, 6 yo. She went to ps for kindergarten which I don't regret because she had a SUCH a great teacher. But, first grade wasn't as good. I had always entertained the idea of home schooling but was unsure where to start. I can't even described how much I loved the ideas behind WTM. Now, Dd goes to Family school 2 1/2 days a week and is home schooled for the rest of the time. This works really well for us as I work part-time at a library. I am really happy where we are at now, but we may home school full-time at some point, I'm just taking things as they come.

Thanks!:D

ian. My name is Anissa. My 3yr old ds wanted to type his name first. Our homeschool journey began 4 years ago. This is actually our third year of homeschool. Katrina threw a kink in what should have been our 2nd year. We spent a year in my hometown in MS 300 miles away from Dad.

A friend recommended that I read WTM and I was hooked. I have been using more Sonlight the last two years (for ease of use with a newborn and toddler running around), but I am planning the high school years with WTM and will let my littles fall in wherever the olders are.

I have lurked on the board for the last 3 years, but not doing much posting. Thank you for all of your information, opinions, and advice. You have answered most of my questions and concerns without me even having to say a word. I have been extremely grateful to all of you.

Barbara, 45

married to dh 15 years

two sons, ages 12 and 8 (nearly -- next month)

Oklahoma

Born in California, grew up in western Washington state, met & married dh in grad school (meteorology) in Pennsylvania. Between then & now we lived in California & Florida. Putting down roots here in Oklahoma for nearly nine years now.

Have wanted to homeschool since older son was in pre-K, pulled younger son after his first 2 weeks of kindergarten, and the following year brought older son home at last for 5th grade. Husband is now a big advocate of homeschooling, which I'd never have expected over those years of hoping & praying. We plan to HS through middle school, and dh is quizzing me about how we might HS in high school, whaddaya know!

Dh is the computing coordinator for a big meteorology program at the state university a couple of miles from home. I sometimes call myself a postmodern homemaker, or maybe a suburban homesteader - I'm frugal, work on living more sustainably, cook, garden, bake, and knit. I also love to read nonfiction, play the piano, and lead my Godly Play Sunday school class of 4 & 5 year olds. Before this homeschooling thing, I did a bit of Web design, and I have a Web site for parents, Faith at Home.

Been on the WTM boards since about the time of my homeschooling "Aha!" moment in January 2001.

Not much to say. Discovered TWTM shortly after my oldest turned 4. It was just what I was looking for in a homeschool curriculum. 7 years later, I've found myself somewhere between TWTM, LCC, and a self-teaching curriculum. Have a wonderful dh, 4 lively children, and a dog. :D

Hi! I'm Beth, and I live in NC. I've been married to my wonderful dh for nearly 13 years, and we have 3 children: dd 7 (almost 8) dd6 (almost 7), and ds 4.5 months. :) This is our 3rd year homeschooling. I found TWTM and this board thanks to a fellow ballet mom, and I am forever grateful. I love the idea of a classical education, but our homeschool is a bit more relaxed than that. Right now we're using My Father's World, All About Spelling, First Language Lessons, WriteShop Primary (we're a testing family, it's really fun), and about to start Singapore math after much trial and error.

I never thought we would homeschool, but when my oldest was ready for kindergarten, I just could not send her away. I am so happy we decided to homeschool! I love having the kids home, and am thrilled that the girlies are able to spend time and bond with their baby brother in a way that they could not if they were in school all day. :)

I have learned so much from these boards - including how to bribe my children with chocolate to get them to read. :D I don't know what I would have done without all the wonderful, wise women here.

I'm Julie and I live in the Atlanta area. My dh and I are from Maryland, have been married for 14 years, and are blessed with 5 beautiful dc.

I started thinking about homeschooling back in the 80's when my roommate loaned me a copy of Mary Pride's The Way Home. (If you've read it, you'll know that it got me thinking about quite a few other things as well. ;) )

Anyway, I read TWTM when my oldest was about 5, (he's 13 now). We followed TWTM pretty strictly for the first four years. A few years ago, I read Teaching the Trivium by the Bluedorns, and have since relaxed my methods with the younger ones. (Basically, more of a CM style until age 10, then kicking in with a traditional classical model.) I've posted here off and on for about three years (originally as "Julie S in GA").

Reading your posts has gotten me very interested in LCC. I hope to read it this summer. I love Memoria Press, and use a lot of their stuff already, so I guess we're halfway there!

Interests: music, tea-drinking, classic novels and British mysteries, theology, and chocolate.

I'll quit now. :rolleyes:

Blessings,

I have been married to dh for almost 12 years. We have 3 boys: 6, 3 and 19 months. We started homeschooling for ds6's final year of preschool. We did it as a trial and after he started reading that year we *knew* ps wouldn't be a good fit! I had taught 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade in ps for 7 years and knew where ds was most likely headed (he has severe ADHD, SPD and possible Aspergers) and it wasn't good.

I went into this whole thing kicking and screaming but now I realize what a gift I have been given to educate my own children. I discovered these boards through Jessica's (Trivium Academy) blog and I am so thankful I did! In the past 6 months these boards have been a source of encouragement, support and camaraderie. I have been blessed by the ladies and gentlemen on these boards so much and hopefully as we get a little further along in our own journey I will be able to repay the favor so many of you have willingly shared with me!

Blessings,

Crossposted from the General Board:

I'm the poster formerly known as Debra in TX. Dee-aitch and I will celebrate 20 years of marriage this fall. We have always home schooled our crew (dds 10, almost 9, and 7 mos., ds4). The extended menagerie includes a great dane, a pug, one cat, two guinea pigs, a rabbit, and two parakeets inside...twin border collies and 12 chickens outside.

Once upon a time, I was introduced to the idea of home schooling by a snippy, fake-tanned ballet mom who, upon observing my interaction with 2yo dd, mock-scribbled on an invisible notepad and declared, "You look like one of those home school types!" I looked up "home school" that very day and decided that indeed I was one of those "types". ;) How will I ever thank her?!

What began with WTM here has taken a LCC bent, and both books are close at hand to guide and refresh me, as is this site. I met one of my best friends via these boards (howdy, SueTX!) and I am ever-so grateful that it is here for those of us who enjoy the interwebs.

In my spare time, I read as much as I can, cook lots of yummy things, eat them, and repeat. :D I enjoy making cards and gifts by hand, and I paint a mural or a funky mailbox once in a while.

I love Jesus, nachos, Great Britain, Rembrandt, crosswords, Indian food, poetry, birds, coffee, and the smell of old books. I loathe mean people, NASCAR, Mountain Dew, drug commercials, apostrophe misuse, Viacom, canned beets, pants with words on the seat, and Wal-Mart :).

When I grow up, I want to draw beautiful portraits of children, eat chocolate cake every day, and laugh even more than I do at present.

Hi, I'm Elisabeth in IL. I have three ds who are 10, 8, and 3. I read TWTM back when my oldest was 4. Since reading Susan's book and talking to some friends about Classical education, it is what I've wanted for my boys. I've been disappointed that is hasn't turned out the way that I imagined it would but I'm confident that each boy is getting what he needs at the moment. Maybe someday we will get to the independent and lover of learning stage or maybe my boys (mostly the eldest) will always have to be pushed, pulled and hand held. I love them all! :D

Me = Lori, one of the "old ladies" here at 46. (: 0

Married = 21 years (yikes!) to college sweetie (a poet/philosopher/firefighter)

Offspring = 2 boys, 15yo, and just-turned-14yo

Homeschooling = our 8th year! (our first high school year this year!)

From both a literature and filmmaking background (and still love both); I love to work with my hands (esp. "digging" in the dirt, aka, gardening -- but all kinds of handcrafts with tangible results -- crochet, jewelrymaking, etc.); and I enjoy hiking and doing family activities; but I especially love to learn all kinds of new things!

cross-posting from the general board, which I never could keep up with, but I've been there a lot more with this new format. It still moves so fast though!

Anyway, I live in Salt Lake City where I'm currently freezing! It is so cold here this week! But that's beside the point. I've been married for 10 years and we have 3 boys ages 7, 4.5, and 3. We started homeschooling (if you can call it that) when our oldest was 3.5 and abnormally interested in the alphabet. We did letter of the week which took us a year to get through the alphabet due to morning sickness and a premature baby. DH always said we were going to homeschool our kids and I'd laugh at him. But here we are!

We did FIAR for two years and I dearly love that curriculum, I always said classical education, at least as I'd seen it described, was not for me. But then I picked up TWTM and I absolutely loved it. It was like someone took the ideal education I wanted for my children and wrote it down! We love the history focus and 4-yr rotation (DH was a history major) and it just made sense to me and I also love how it maps out 12 years of school for you. I'm sure we won't follow it exactly, we haven't already and we're just doing 1st grade, but I love having the plan there. I feel like I know where I'm going, I'm not wandering aimlessly through curriculum.

I found this board about 1.5 years ago and it completely overwhelmed me, just the sheer size and amount of information. I came back to it about a year ago though and I've posted irregularly, mostly on the curriculum board. I've learned so much though from so many here and I love coming here to meet like-minded homeschoolers. I don't know too many others locally that use TWTM.

Oh yes, and I play the cello! I guess you could say semi-pro. I have 10 private cello students and play in a local community symphony and do weddings and such. I also love family history, cooking, baking, cross-stitch, reading, and travel. So, that's me!

I'm Sandy and, obviously, I live in Indianapolis. I've been married to dh for 21.5 years. We have 3 wonderful kids--a daughter who's 20 and two boys, 17 and 7. My older kids attended a private, Principle Approach school in the beginning of their educational journey. We started homeschooling 10 years ago and I have 11 years to go!

I'm Gina, my husband and I have 4 children, and we live in the Flint Hills of Kansas. We have 2 boys, the oldest is 12yrs. and the baby is 4 months, and 2 girls, the older is 9 yrs. and the little one is 18 months. I've always homeschooled the 2 oldest and will add the younger 2 when it's time! I have a Master's degree in marriage and family counseling, and my husband's a physician (gastroenterologist). We love to travel! DisneyWorld is our favorite destination. Our 2 older children are black belts in Tae Kwon Do, they both take piano lessons, and dd9 does gymnastics. They both also love art and draw beautifully. We have 2 giant Golden Retrievers whom we love immensely! I should say that I'm not very technologically savvy...

I am hs my 7.5 yo triplets (ggb) with a 4th (6 yo boy) in ps kindergarten. my dh is very supportive and we love raising our kids in the country, in the beautiful Pacific NW. we are new to hs, so I am trying to get in a grove... I seem to spend more time second guessing myself and getting overwhelmed by all of the amazing options. Laura

Hi I'm Tia and I am a 29 yr old mother of a ds 10 a dd 8. ds went to ps through 3rd grade , dd went through 1st. We moved and I was worried about the new school district and a friend suggested homeschool. I read tons of books, then my friend and I went out and bought a very eclectic pile of workbooks and ps textbooks. We struggled through that for a few months. . Thank God I found WTM. I thought I'd ruined my kids. lol

I'm Tammy, a transplanted Texan currently living in the Pacific Northwest. We relocated here from the DFW area 18 months ago for dh's work. I've been married to my hubby for 15 years, and we have two energetic dd's--ages 7 & 3. Our oldest dd attended public school last year for 1st grade, but I always had that nagging feeling that "we could do better." So...after buying a house this spring in a different school district, we found a nice way to transition into homeschooling this year. So far, so good.

I lurked for a *long* time on the old boards, posted a bit, then was AWOL from the boards over the holiday season. I'm glad to be back! :)

Hi Everyone,

My name is Colleen, and I have been married to DH for 12.5 years. We have 4 dss: 11, 9, 6, and 20 months. We've homeschooled from the beginning, but oldest ds went to private school this year for the first time (grade 6). We are considering homeschooling him again for grade 7.

We live in the west coast of Canada. I've been coming to these boards for about 4 years now.

I'm late as usual....Anyway,I have 2 always hsed dds.The 11yo wants to be a cat when she grows up.The 6 yo currently wants to be Carly from ICarly (last week it was a doctor).We use a mix of methods and materials:some WTM,CM,Sonlight,OM,a little unschooling.Whatever works.Besides hsing,I work and try to fit in time for myself when I can.We live in NY,tied here because of my job,our house,our multitude of pets, and we can't agree on where we'd like to live.Dh wants to move somewhere warm,I want to go to Maine.