Menu

Using Drawing with Children?

keptwoman

How do you use it?

I've got it and I think it will work but I was just wondering how using this book "looks" in your home?

How does a drawing lesson run?

I was thinking that I could probably get all 3 of my children doing the lessons together, can anyone comment on the likelihood of that working?

Do you use it regularly, say once a week or have bursts of using it?

We are just starting to use it. Here are some people who have posted lessons plans on how they do it.

Redshift Homeschool

Donna Young

Squidoo

That can at least give you an idea on how others do it. I know for me it was overwhelming at first, but after reading some of these posts it made it a lot easier to understand.

HTH

We're also just starting. I've been mostly using the plans posted above from Redshift, 1 lesson a week, but broken into 2 sessions each. This is only week 2, so that may change. ;) The later lessons are longer, so we'll probably spend a couple weeks each.

I was surprised at how well they did on the level evaluation, and hoping that will make this easier. We're working together for now (4.5 & 7yo), and it's going alright. They like getting to use special markers, and are sharing them fine so far.

Thanks for posting the Donna Young link - I've been stressing over creating the practice exercises, and this will help so much!

How do you use it?

I've got it and I think it will work but I was just wondering how using this book "looks" in your home?

How does a drawing lesson run?

I was thinking that I could probably get all 3 of my children doing the lessons together, can anyone comment on the likelihood of that working?

Do you use it regularly, say once a week or have bursts of using it?

I started using it around 3 years ago or so. I had to read ahead first, to figure out the concepts. I did a few pages at a time. Then I'd sit down and walk my kids through it. We've worked up to around lesson 4 in three years. It's not something we do regularly, but skills have built up slowly and my kids know how to look at a picture or an object now and "see" the elements of shape in order to draw them. It's fascinating to me. I did a bit of the shading lesson with them, too, and it's just amazing what you can turn out with a bit of understanding.

I had no agenda, I'd just sit at the table with them with paper, Sharpie markers, scrap paper, and something under the paper to keep the Sharpies from bleeding through, and I'd guide them through whatever I'd read the night before. I have two kids, one who was interested, one who wasn't. But I kept working with both, and eventually the one who wasn't interested, was secretly impressed with what he learned. And the artist girl just loved it. But it *was* hard to try to keep them quiet so the other one could concentrate. I gave up trying to have things perfectly quiet, like the book recommends. Oh, and I told them we didn't have to do it for longer than 30 minutes. But once they got into it, they sometimes lost track of time.

hth