Menu

Do you set Goals for the Year? - 1st Grade

Hi,

We're really excited about starting first grade in the next few weeks.. I'm getting ready to prepare the lesson plans and things.

And I was wondering (since I was thinking of doing it, but then wanted to know if it was "over-kill) do you set goals for the year?

If so - how specific or vague are they?:

Are there in line with you states standards for the grade level, or are they more like "finish the Grammar Book by x date" Or are they more tailored to your own child (even if they do not correspond to the state's standards) or do you just use the State Standard as your benchmark to follow?

Then how "hard" do you adhere to those goals? Do change them often, or try to stick to them come rain or shine, or take more of a middle ground?

Thanks,

Kate

I have some goals, but they're pretty vague. My main goal is to finish all our labeled first grade stuff (handwriting, math, MBtP) by the end of May. I am allowing more time to do history and science, though, since we didn't start out with SOTW and the science curriculum I bought, but are doing a unit on dinosaurs and pre-history first. I'd like Ariel to be reading on a mid-late second grade level by the end of the year, but that really depends on her readiness. Not all of my goals are academic. For example, last year, one of my goals was to have her swim independently.

I make general goals, for the year. I have a pre-K'er and a 4th grader this year, so nothing specific for 1st, but they are, for example:

"To solidify grammar concepts and skills"

"To continue to improve in spelling ability"

"To learn basic music theory"

(those are all for the 4th grader)

I didn't put them as formally for the pre-K'er - more like "to have fun learning phonics" and "to learn about a wide variety of subjects through picture books and read aloud selections."

HTH :)

I do set goals. I used this document from Veritas Press and tailored it to my own children and curriculum plan. It is really what I hope to accomplish, and it helps keep me pressing on toward achieving those goals; however, I make room for the liklihood that at the end of the year, we will have achieved certain goals, exceeded others, and not achieved some. Kids are not widgets, and I don't think we can say with all certainty that anything will or won't happen in their academic development. The goals are therefore dynamic and will be adjusted from year to year.

Aurelia,

Thanks...I like the idea of including non-academic goals.. I like the "swimming independent" one - this is something we've been working for a while and will continue this year. Among mine (my rough draft) is for her to learn 3 new jokes - she loves jokes, and has a bit of a repertoire (maybe 3 or so) Plus she makes up a lot - which make no sense but she finds hilarious as she says them... and she always ask me to teach her a new "knock-knock-joke" so I added that for her...

Kate

I love the book Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp. It has really good goals in parent-speak. I wish they'd update it because there are a lot of outdated links and resources, but it's still really helpful. I go through the goals for each year, check off what Becca's already accomplished, and write down the rest in a list that I post on the fridge.

Yes. Sometimes my goals are specific to curriculum - i.e. Finish Saxon 2 by Christmas. Sometimes my goals are specific to a weakness - i.e. focus on getting handwriting legible. And, sometimes my goals are specific to our homeschool - i.e. work on extending the school day without fuss.

I use the forms found at donnayoung.org.

Dyan

Dya,

Thanks I found a form at donnayoung.org that I think will help with the lesson Planning - I used for Kinder a teachers planner - but got tired of all the writing.. and having a digital one appealed more to me.. Thanks

Kate