Menu

Question about how to use AAS...

diaperjoys

We're just getting started with All About Spelling. I'm confused about the correct way to review the cards. We're on step 3. When the manual says to review Phonogram cards, does that mean to review ALL the phonogram cards, including the ones in the "mastered" section? Or to only review any cards that happen to be in the "review" section (we don't have any filed there).

Hi! We have been doing AAS for about a year. When we review the cards, we only review the mastered ones. Maybe I am doing it incorrectly. I include the other cards in the lessons as needed until they are mastered, and when they are requested in the sections. Halfway through each book and at the end we take an entire week and review all the cards and words thus far.

I am not sure if this is standard practice, but it works well for us. The quick review of the mastered cards keeps them fresh and the week-long reviews make sure that DSs are retaining the information. We are currently on Level 1 and Level 3. I curious as to how others approach the program as well.

We're just getting started with All About Spelling. I'm confused about the correct way to review the cards. We're on step 3. When the manual says to review Phonogram cards, does that mean to review ALL the phonogram cards, including the ones in the "mastered" section? Or to only review any cards that happen to be in the "review" section (we don't have any filed there).

You are correct that when you see the card symbols at the top of a lesson (like the phonogram cards at the top of lesson 3), you are to review the cards in the "review" section.

There will be times that the book has you review mastered cards, but there will be a specific note to do a master review. Also at the beginning of each level, you review all the mastered cards from the previous levels (you can choose just a sampling of words that were tricky, or the ones from the previous level & then quickly do all the other sound, phonogram & key cards from all previous levels).

Sometimes I find something that was in "mastered" needs review again.

HTH! Merry :-)