Menu

Can you recommend a great vacuum for about $150?

I think our vacuum is going in the trash. It's not old, but we just haven't been happy with it at all. Dh spent a long time trying to find clogs in it, and it still doesn't work right.

We have bunnies, so we need something that can deal with pet hair. And we have stairs, so it needs a long hose attachment for that.

We have maybe $150 to spend. Any recommendations?

Wendi

Bissell Lift Off Revolution or any of the Bissell's. Piece of poorly made junk. Mine clogs every time I use it and the motor shuts off, the handle cracked w/in the first month we had it and the clip that holds it upright snapped w/in 2 mos. (with help from ds5) and so now when we use it with the attachment, the handle part falls on our head! :eek: Can't tell you how I DON'T need that extra stress right now! So....anybody who can recommend a GOOD vacuum that won't break w/in 2 mos...I'll be forever in your debt! :D

For $67.79 & free shipping you can get the Hoover Widepath Tempo on Amazon - check out the reviews.

How long have you had your Hoover?

We've got a Sharp Multifloor Vac. It was the floor model at Fry's, & it was the only thing w/ a HEPA filter under $100. We were living w/ mil, & *anything* was better than their vac! (When the plug broke off of the cord, I rejoiced, thinking that was the last straw, but no. That fil could fix! LOL)

So this Sharp? It often smells like burning rubber. We've replaced belts, etc. To keep it running, we pretty much have to take it apart *completely* after ea use (1-3 rooms, max). The floors never feel *really* clean, & after the hassle of fixing it, I feel *really* dirty, lol. Dh does a better job, but w/ his asthma, I try not to ask him.

Mostly, we don't vac. :o But w/ a crawling baby & uber-cheap industrial-grade apt carpet...well...it's a nice luxury sometimes.;) LOL

I have this vacuum http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3656751

and bought it because it was much cheaper than a Dyson, and rated better in Consumer Reports compared against the Dyson. Amazon has it even cheaper, same one, just slightly different model. http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Smart-Boss-Upright-4870HZ/dp/B000FGDG4G

I've been pleased with it and would buy another one when this one dies. I've had it for over a year and a half though and it's going strong.

Kristine

Our house is new construction which means a lot of dust/dirt under the carpet and new carpet sheds a ton.

I bought a Kenmore Progressive canister which was about ~$250 and rated well by consumer reports when we first moved in here, but on the first use it clogged so bad that even the store couldn't unclog it and gave me a refund.

I then tried the Eureka Capture, and couldn't keep up with washing the filters after every use and having 4 spares so they could dry completely before the next use.

Do you know that's similar to what happened to ours? We had new carpet, & it would clog the vac so badly, that I could do a "row" & empty it, repeat. I wonder if that wore it out?

• 2 weeks later...
For $67.79 & free shipping you can get the Hoover Widepath Tempo on Amazon - check out the reviews.

I bought a ~$250 Kenmore Progressive, which died the first day I had it, I used the refund to buy a Eureka Capture at Wal Mart ~$125, this thing had 4 filters that needed constantly cleaned and the dust cup needed emptied after each room, I then went with the Hoover Widepath Tempo after reading the reviews, it's nothing fancy, but works well. I've been very pleased with it. It does n ot have a long hose attachment, but it does have a nice stair handle, I just walk up the stairs with it in one hand (it's light, but you can rest on a step you've already swept) and sweep with the attachment hose with the other. Another thing we love here is the Swivel sweeper, this is great for our hard wood floors under the kitchen table and just to quickly pick up stuff when company is coming :) The kids even ask to use this one. I think it's ~$30 (cordless and rechargeable). So you could buy both and still be under your budget :)

Wait. It's not bagless???