Menu

Does Hakim's _Story of Science_ not have a chapter on Darwin?

Did a little more digging and found this in a USA Today article:

"The third volume, which takes students up to the 20th century, should be out next fall.

She is now writing a new series on geology and biology. And yes, she'll tackle Darwin's theory of evolution.

"That'll get me in trouble," she says, a twinkle in her eye."

So now that I think about it, there has been virtually no biology/medicine or geology in the series.

I love the series (so far) but maybe she should have named it differently?

Joy Hakim's books are widely profiled on the National Science Teachers Association Website. I think Hakim spoke at their conference in spring as well. NSTA is strongly in favour of teaching evolution in K-12 schools so I'm expecting Hakim's books on that topic to be in line with that.

BTW, it looks like there are some free resources on the NSTA site to support Hakim's books. Teaching Materials for Joy Hakim's Story of Science - - an ebook which is avail for members & non members for 0$.

http://www.nsta.org/store/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/PB227Xsupe

I'm going to try this out later today.

She is now writing a new series on geology and biology. And yes, she'll tackle Darwin's theory of evolution.

So now that I think about it, there has been virtually no biology/medicine or geology in the series.

I love the series (so far) but maybe she should have named it differently?

I also have all three books, and as far as I can tell, it is all physics & chemistry. It's a great series ~ but I agree she should have named it The Story of PHYSICAL Science.

I'm very happy to hear she has another series on geology & biology in the works!

BTW, it looks like there are some free resources on the NSTA site to support Hakim's books. Teaching Materials for Joy Hakim's Story of Science - - an ebook which is avail for members & non members for 0$.

http://www.nsta.org/store/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/PB227Xsupe

Great resource, thanks for the link!

Jackie

How did you download this? There is no "link" to do so. The only link was to add the free materials to a "cart" along with the three books (to be purchased).

Thank you !

I already have the books, but would like to have the support materials.

I have just downloaded it, it look great.

How did you download this? There is no "link" to do so. The only link was to add the free materials to a "cart" along with the three books (to be purchased).

When you go to the website, in the upper right corner where the "Log In" section is, click the tiny type that says "Not Registered" under the password box. Then on the next page click "I am not an NSTA Member." It will take you to a page to set up a free account; you only need to enter your name and email address, and choose a password.

BTW, there are lots of cool, FREE resources on that site, once you are registered!

Jackie

Thank you, Jackie ! After church, I shall try again.

When you go to the website, in the upper right corner where the "Log In" section is, click the tiny type that says "Not Registered" under the password box. Then on the next page click "I am not an NSTA Member." It will take you to a page to set up a free account; you only need to enter your name and email address, and choose a password.

BTW, there are lots of cool, FREE resources on that site, once you are registered!

Jackie

I downloaded it. It's a sample of support materials from three chapters each from 2 of the books. Their intent here is to get you to purchase the teacher quest guides.

I'm seriously considering it, and this sample will help me decide.

I can't wait to see the next books in the series!