Menu

Institute for Excellent in Writing Newbie- Have questions

I got a copy of Teaching Writing:Structure and Style Seminar and Practicum Workbook, it is in a 3 ring binder and about 100+ pages. I bought it off of someone in our homeschool group for $12. Not knowing anything about IEW. I have heard it mentioned on the boards, and that is about my knowledge.

I was looking for something for my 7th and 9th graders, and thought for $12 I would at least check it out. My questions are...

What is the book I have, ie. what do I do with it, what else do I need?

What are your feelings good or bad about IEW?

Is there a schedule of some sort, to figure out when to incorporate into our day/week?

Thank you!!

Hi -

You've got a workbook that accompanies a set of 9 dvds. The TWSS is the all-encompassing teacher "how-to" set. It can be used for about 2nd grade through high school. With this set, you can adapt the teaching methods to any curriculum / literature you are already using. It does not, however, contain a schedule and lessons for you. If you buy the dvds, I would also recommend the $10 dvd "Tips & Tricks for Teaching Through the Nine Units of Structure & Style". Also, you should know that IEW has a 100% money back guarantee policy. If you are unhappy with it for any reason, you can return it. Even if you've tried it for a year. They truly stand behind their products. If you can't buy the dvds right now, maybe you can borrow them from a friend, etc.

Also, some people need / want something with pre-planned lessons. This is what the Student Writing Intensive dvds are for. They come with a student notebook, and Andrew Pudewa is the teacher. In addition, there are multiple options of history and theme based writing courses that you can purchase a teacher & student book to work from. They all implement the methods of TWSS. Does this make sense?

I've been using IEW for 3 years now, and I'm sold on it. It takes a lot of the guess-work out of teaching writing. It works with all kinds of students, and gets results. I could pontificate for a while, but if you have any questions, just pm me, or better yet - - check out the IEWfamilies yahoo group. They are extremely helpful with newbie questions, as well as how to schedule your lessons.

Blessings,

Do you have a friend or homeschool group in your area who has the TWSS DVD set? IEW allows you to borrow it, as long as you have your own notebook (which you do!). I would ask around. A lot of folks have bought this. It's informative but it's not the kind of thing that you need to use constantly.

I used TWSS for my own education, and made up my own lessons for a few years. After that we switched to the SWICC courses, because I had littles to care for and my two oldest needed something to do somewhat independently.

I hope you can find someone to lend you TWSS!

GardenMom