Menu

Biology scheduling...

I thought I had figured out what I was going to do this year. I even started school 2 weeks ago. But today was the day to pick up the curriculum we get from the Friday school we go to. Even though we aren't doing biology with them, I checked out Modern Biology by Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, A Harcourt Classroom Education Company.

Looking through this books has me a bit worried. If I follow their lesson guide, there are 345 days worth of lessons, 53 chapters. Am I correct in assuming that this book is supposed to be done over 2 years? Or are you supposed to pick and choose what you want to do? And if you do it over two years, do you get 2 credits for it? If so, what would you call those classes, Biology 1 and 2?

What I had planned to do wasn't anything like this. The book is much smaller, and I had bought a biology lab curriculum to add to it so that it would be enough. Now I am really second guessing myself.

Thanks for any help.

I have Biology (not Modern Biology) by the same publisher. Mine is the 2006 edition.

This book has 43 chapters. The teacher edition doesn't have you do all of the chapters. It has 7 different plans, none of which do the entire book. A basic biology course would cover 23 chapters (1-19, 23, 27, 32, 37), human biology would cover 29 chapters (1-19, 23, 27, 32, 37-43), and then botany would cover 26 chapters, zoology 31 chapters, zoology with human biology 37 chapters, ecology 24 chapters, and cell biology 31 chapters.

I am actually using Oak Meadow's syllabus. It does cover all the chapters, but sometimes it just covers some of the sections of the chapter rather than the whole thing.