Menu

Get a load of this wedding dress!!

As much as I love wool (and I do. It's the only fiber, save alpaca, I knit), that dress is... hairy looking. And, frankly, if there's a mist, I imagine the bride would smell repulsive. (On the upside, she could sweat a LOT and it would absorb it.)

As much as I love wool (and I do. It's the only fiber, save alpaca, I knit), that dress is... hairy looking. And, frankly, if there's a mist, I imagine the bride would smell repulsive. (On the upside, she could sweat a LOT and it would absorb it.)

I think it's beautiful, but you had to go and ruin it for me. You are probably right. The last time I dyed wool, my house smelled like a farm, lol! Regarding itchiness, some wool is not itchy at all. My son was just wearing a pair of hand knit wool shorts today and they weren't itchy at all.

Faboosh . What a great way to express her individuality. The pink scrollwork on the vest is a bit metro but my uberfashionable dh would likely wear it with matching socks.

That's how I see it too-- a very creative way to celebrate her life's calling. It would look ridiculous on anyone who wasn't known far and wide for her prizewinning sheep, as this bride was. The whole thing just made me think of Nanny McPhee for some reason.

LOVE the vest! *I* would love to wear it!

astrid

We have sheep and I also buy lots of fleeces. If I wash them properly, I have never had any problem with them retaining an odor, even when wet. Oh, wait, are you talking about the bride being the cause of the odor???:lol: With all that sweating and all...

Honestly, I'm not too fond of the dress. And I have been around Lincoln Longwool sheep. It is definitely a coarse, rug-weight wool and would be extremely itchy to wear close to the skin.

Oh well, to each their own. I'm not too keen on the cowboy, medieval, Star Trek, or other themed weddings either. Call me conventional...

We have sheep and I also buy lots of fleeces. If I wash them properly, I have never had any problem with them retaining an odor, even when wet. Oh, wait, are you talking about the bride being the cause of the odor???:lol: With all that sweating and all...

Honestly, I'm not too fond of the dress. And I have been around Lincoln Longwool sheep. It is definitely a coarse, rug-weight wool and would be extremely itchy to wear close to the skin.

Oh well, to each their own. I'm not too keen on the cowboy, medieval, Star Trek, or other themed weddings either. Call me conventional...

:lol: No! I was eyeballing those locks and thinking they couldn't possibly be as "clean" as one would hope. One thing to look like a Snuffleupagus, another entirely to smell like one. (And what keeps me from trying to spin the copious piles of "wool" my dog leaves around)

Let us hope her wooly little friend went home before dinner was served.

I think the dress is beautiful. Maybe the dress has a lining inside so the wool isn't touching her skin that much. :confused:

I'm sure it has a lining. You can tell just from the bodice that it's done well, to say the least. There's great artistry there.

ETA: You can actually see the non-wool fabric part of the dress in one of the photos. The more I look at it all, the more I love the whole idea of it. The wooden crook, the setting, the sentiment, the vest, the light shinning on both of them. All of it.

Edited by LibraryLover

Angela, I have used some Lincoln Longwool locks for various felting projects, usually to make hair or beards. I wash each lock separately by hand to keep the individual integrity intact, which helps me with the felting and keeps the "look" I want. It is very clean, just that the yellowed tips are often sun damaged.

Once I had a bunch of wool to process that had a lot of the yellowing. I sent it off to a mill to do, since I had so much. When it came back, it was definitely an off-white color. So I made up labels and called it Golden Creme color and it sold better than my basic white! I have also dyed some of the sun damaged stuff and found it definitely takes the dye differently. I had some that varied from a medium lilac at the "skin end" and was a gorgeous deep magenta at the sun burnt end. It looked hand painted!

...I used to be a weaver, so my taste is probably a little tilted.

It reminds me of a funny story. You know those ikat cottons in bright colors from Guatemala? A friend of mine gave me a dress made from that material--it was in greens, and floor length. Very hippy dippy and sack dressy. The only time I ever wore it was to a weaving convention. As I prepared to go out the door, my DH said affectionately, "You look really weird...you'll fit right in!" It was true.

Angela, I have used some Lincoln Longwool locks for various felting projects, usually to make hair or beards. I wash each lock separately by hand to keep the individual integrity intact, which helps me with the felting and keeps the "look" I want. It is very clean, just that the yellowed tips are often sun damaged.

Once I had a bunch of wool to process that had a lot of the yellowing. I sent it off to a mill to do, since I had so much. When it came back, it was definitely an off-white color. So I made up labels and called it Golden Creme color and it sold better than my basic white! I have also dyed some of the sun damaged stuff and found it definitely takes the dye differently. I had some that varied from a medium lilac at the "skin end" and was a gorgeous deep magenta at the sun burnt end. It looked hand painted!

OH that sounds GORGEOUS! I'm a die-hard knitter and rug hooker so I"m drooling!

astrid

I'd hope not. That would be absurd. Books are not associated with clothing. Wool is.

Theme weddings are not uncommon-- I've seen brides in medieval dress, brides in western wear, brides in white snow gear getting married on ski slopes, you name it. This just happens to be a bride in wool.

I'm just sayin'.

astrid

Well, it isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I am not personally into wool like she is. I think it's great that she found something she loves and went with it. I think we all need to have that sort of passion and confidence.

I love my wedding dress even if no one else does. :) It was very "me."