Menu

Physics recommendations?

Conceptual Physics is a low-math, high-concept physics. You need some algebra to do the math. The concepts are not at a low level and are applied so they are easier to understand. I am using this with my 13yo, who is headed for engineering, and my 17yo, who is most definately not headed for engineering. It is perfect for both of them. The 17yo will understand how tides work, how water freezes, rotational inertia, etc., but not have to struggle with the more complex formulas, and the 13yo will have the concepts down so when he takes a more math based physics later, he won't get caught up in the math and miss the ideas behind them. He'll understand what the formulas mean.

-Nan

My son is using Giancoli Physics this year. If you're looking for a rigorous non-calculus based course (but does use higher maths like Trig); I think it's wonderful. The explanations are clear and the illustrations and examples tie the Physics to real-life problems. Giancoli is a typical book used in many schools for AP Physics.

HTH,

Brenda

Ds used Apologia Physics and really enjoyed it. I didn't look at any other programs, so I can't make any comparisons. The text was easy to use independently and the labs were easy to implement. Ds would have preferred more complex labs, but the labs were easy to perform at home and meaningful to the lesson. The lab equipment was also easy to obtain; we purchased ours from Home Science Tools. IMHO, knowledge of Algebra 2 and Trigonometry or Precalculus is ideal. I don't think a student who has had this level of math will find the math in Apologia Physics too difficult. I felt this program covered the basic principles of physics nicely. After using this program, ds took the SAT Physics Subject Test and did very well. However, know that this kid naturally enjoys physics. I would encourage you to look at the Apologia website for more information on this course.

Lynne,

No, he didn't do advanced physics. Prior to taking the SAT II Physics Test, he had completed Apologia Physics and Chalkdust Precalculus and was taking Chalkdust Calculus. Both of the Chalkdust texts had some physics like problems. You cannot use a calculator on the SAT II Physics Test. Ds said the problems on the test were easier than the problems in Apologia Physics.

HTH!

I'm selling an entire Conceptual Phsyics set. It is a public school text but it is very thorough and has all things associated with it---all books, tests, TE and 3 student editions (if you need that many)..

This is the set my DH seems to think I can teach from, but we decided that it wasn't important for our girls (they are not his type of science minded).

If interested in it, shoot me a PM. Otherwise, just take this as another agreeance on this series.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

y kids have both used the Giancoli book titled "Physics". They both liked the text VERY much.

Dd will actually be selling her Giancoli physics text at some point, but only because her freshman physics class in college uses an even better text. (Why keep both?)

She compared the two texts on the basis of clarity and the humor of the author, and her freshman text won. That text even references my dd's FAVORITE unit -- furlongs / fortnight!

Does anyone else have a favorite unit?

We have BJU Physics on tape, but my DD (who's since graduated) found the teacher difficult to understand and she got very bogged down in the class. I ended up giving her just half a credit for the class, as she didn't get much past the middle of the book.

My older DS needs to take physics next year and really doesn't want to do an online class (for some reason he thinks taking three AP classes with PA Homeschoolers and a 300-level music theory class at college will keep him too busy). I'm considering using the Indiana University correspondence class. I like the fact that he can work at his own pace, but still have accountability and that he has a whole year to complete the two semesters. They use the Conceptual Physics book.

http://scs.indiana.edu/hs/course_hs.php?courseID=9404&deliveryMethod=paper

It's sad, really ... my father was a theoretical physicist at Bell Labs and I don't think I've inherited one scrap of his math/science abilities!

She compared the two texts on the basis of clarity and the humor of the author, and her freshman text won. That text even references my dd's FAVORITE unit -- furlongs / fortnight!

Does anyone else have a favorite unit?

Gwen,

Was one of the authors on your dd's freshman book Hugh Young? I ask because I had him for college physics many years ago, and he used to put constants on the tests in units of furlongs/fortnight to throw people off track.

Thanks for that trip down memory lane!

Brenda

I'm ssorry.

Dd and ds1 have both used Giancoli's "Physics" in high school. They loved the book and thought it did a great job of presenting physics in a straightforward way. Since they did the course online, they ended up using different editions -- dd used the 5th; ds used the 6th. (And Mom cried into her checkbook!)

I don't know the name of dd's freshman physics book -- I will ask her tonight.