Menu

One more Apologia science question...are my kids too old?

sadiegirl

I am considering using Apologia next year for my boys(one will be in 7th and one in 6th). I was browsing their textbooks and saw the INCREDIBLE looking elementary books with topics my boys would eat up!!! I then looked at the General Science recommended for 7th grade and it looked okay but a little wordy on the example(this is coming from someone who hated science in school but love it the Robert Krampf way!!!). As I mentioned in my earlier post, we have not used a set science curriculum and I want to do a better job at that next year. So, my question is this...should I go ahead and do the General Science(7th grade) or can I try one of the one from elementary first and cover it at a faster pace? I just wish I had known about this 3 years ago...don't you hate when you find things for years gone by that your kids would love? Advice anyone?

I don't think your kids are too old; however, I don't have the traditional view of science in the grammar and logic stages. We will not do Apologia General or Physical science before we move into Apologia Biology. They are not prerequisites, and in my opinion, have little bearing on high school science.

At the end of this year we will have completed all 4 of the Elem Apologia books. Zoology III will be released in May 2008. My oldest son really enjoys this series. I don't plan on any formal science for 7th or 8th grade, but I will purchase any new books released by Jeannie Fulbright. So next year he will read Zoology III on his own. Hopefully, her Chemistry/Physics and Anatomy books will be out soon. I would like for him to read these in 8th grade if they are available.

In 5th grade my boys worked through Astronomy and Botany, and in 6th grade they worked through Zoology I and II. I don't do the lapbooking, but we do keep the notebook and follow the lesson assignments. I also don't have them do every experiment, just the ones that are easy and convenient for me.

My oldest son loves science. He will do some of the more involved experiments outside of our schooltime with Dad. He will also get library books on the lessons that really interest him. He's working through Zoology II right now and now wants to become a zoologist. I think this is a much better option than a football player.

My middle son in not as interested in the experiments, so he just does what I assign him. Even though, he really enjoys reading the Apologia science books and excitedly explains any new discoveries to Dad at night.

I think the Apologia Elementary books are a great introduction to science and have sparked an interest in my boys that they can fan later in higher level science books during their high school years.

Go ahead and use them! General Science is DRY compared to the elementary science books. They're EXCELLENT! My older dd studied the elementary botany in 6th grade and it was perfect for her. I'm now using Astronomy and Zoology I with my younger dd and I'm learning so much myself. I also think you can do as much or as little hands-on work as you're comfortable with, so they're very flexible.

HTH!

I am considering using Apologia next year for my boys(one will be in 7th and one in 6th). I was browsing their textbooks and saw the INCREDIBLE looking elementary books with topics my boys would eat up!!! I then looked at the General Science recommended for 7th grade and it looked okay but a little wordy on the example(this is coming from someone who hated science in school but love it the Robert Krampf way!!!). As I mentioned in my earlier post, we have not used a set science curriculum and I want to do a better job at that next year. So, my question is this...should I go ahead and do the General Science(7th grade) or can I try one of the one from elementary first and cover it at a faster pace? I just wish I had known about this 3 years ago...don't you hate when you find things for years gone by that your kids would love? Advice anyone?

I have my oldest in GS from Apologia, but she also sits in and listens to the younger one. I wanted her to do the more formal science (and *she* wanted to do it too) but we all enjoy doing the elementary one together. :) I would choose to use what will be most beneficial to your children, and what you know they will truly learn from. If you know they will love the elementary ones then by all means use them! I wish I had known about them earlier too. :)