Menu

Here is ds six college choices...need two more..ideas?

JFSinIL

In order:

University of the South - Sewanee

Illinois Wesleyan

Vanderbilt

Augustana

Gettysburg

Illinois State - Carbondale

Carbondale is too big, I think, but he has disliked the other, smaller state u's we have seen, so it remains as the last choice back-up college. Vanderbilt is kinda big - but looks good enough (we did visit) to have on the list. Otherwise, ds is looking for smallish, liberal arts schools, not overly religious, and private (can't afford out of state tuition at a public school), and within a (loong) days drive of Chicagoland. Ideas? Strong history department desired, too, although he is an undeclared major. might as well add, he does not like urban campus (aside from Vanderbilt).

Rhodes (in Memphis a major city though)

Hendrix (in AK - if my son would be going to LAC, I would pursue this one.)Centre (around Lexington,KY)

Actually just realized all of these are in the Colleges That Change Lives.

You might want to check out their website ( www.ctcl.org). We went to one of their roadshows last fall and many of the colleges are pretty interesting.

We have since relocated to TX, but I used to work for DePauw University in Greencastle, IN. (Hubby's alma mater.) Private LAC, small town environment, strong academics and alumni ties. It does promote its Greek system pretty heavily, but less than it did. About 3-4 hours from Chicago, with a large population from that area. I worked in the Career Planning office and the alumni ties helped many students with internships and placement. Many of the schools from the consortium it's in are listed in the CTCL listing: Denison, Kalamazoo, Wabash, etc.

We are taking our son to Abilene Christian University in two days for his freshman year and both DH and I commented that it had a similar feel to DePauw.

Blessings for a wonderful year of finding his place!

Becky in TX

And how about the College of Wooster? We were quite impressed by it.

This one has been recommended by a dear family friend. Did you visit, Gwen? I am impressed from information gathered on the web, as well as that which my friend said about her daughter's experience.

What impressed you?

Jane

We were impressed by the College of Wooster --

1) All of the seniors have to do a senior project -- two semesters, not just one. They work on preparing the student to do original research his/her senior year very seriously. Juniors do a mini-project, and profs take their role in the preparation very seriously -- classes are taught with this in mind.

2) Thinking outside the box seems to be valued. Creativity is a priority on campus. I don't mean artsy creativity necessarily, but just plain creative thought.

3) The majors and the profs seemed quite flexible. A student can create his own major. The senior project can be interdisciplinary.

3) Most of the dorms have a living room with a grand piano in it. The students we talked to said that the pianos were played on a random but regular basis. (not for practicing) I thought that spoke well of the students and the college's priorities.

4) Most admissions counselors seem to mention a sample successful grad in their admissions talk. Duke's example was a fellow who made his first million by age 26. At Wooster the example was of a alum who worked in the humanitarian arena. I forget the details, but it was a small-scale 3 Cups of Tea type of success. I was impressed that Wooster's example alum was not an alum who had gained fame and fortune but one who had made a distinctly positive impact on the people of the world.

I would put in another vote for Knox in Galesburg. They have a Lincoln study center I believe. You might also want to consider Monmouth college and McKendree as well. Did you look at University of Illinois-Springfield? Students there get opportunities to do internships in state government including the state archives and presidential library.

We did look at University of Illinois-Springfield but ds is not sure history will be his major - the school there did not seem to have much else to offer in other potential areas of ds's interest. I intend to talk him to looking at some of the others mentioned by ya'all now - Rhodes and Knox seem to stand out, waving their little academic arms and crying "Me, me,. pick me!" :-)

Have you looked at Oberlin, Kenyon, or Denison in Ohio?

I looked at them - but then ds decided not be be in Ohio, too far (although he still wants to try for Gettysburg, an even farther drive - thinks it would be "cool" to be there. A friend told him how the woods are haunted by the spirits of dead soldiers at dusk - ds is a history buff and wants to not only wander the battle field at dusk, but maybe also joina reenactment group and play soldier.)

Actually, looking at Denison and Kenyon made me wonder if I could find similar size colleges in Il, and that is when I found Il. Wesleyan and Augustana.

Bethel College in South Bend, Indiana. Pretty campus, not sure about the history major. But they have an understanding with Notre Dame (heard of it?) and St. Mary's College and classes can be taken at those schools and applied to the Bethel student.

Check on that - my contact with the school is gone and changes may have been made. My ds is in Cleveland, OH and there are nearly a dozen schools that he can take classes at and have the the credit apply toward his degree.

In order:

University of the South - Sewanee

Illinois Wesleyan

Vanderbilt

Augustana

Gettysburg

Illinois State - Carbondale

Carbondale is too big, I think, but he has disliked the other, smaller state u's we have seen, so it remains as the last choice back-up college. Vanderbilt is kinda big - but looks good enough (we did visit) to have on the list. Otherwise, ds is looking for smallish, liberal arts schools, not overly religious, and private (can't afford out of state tuition at a public school), and within a (loong) days drive of Chicagoland. Ideas? Strong history department desired, too, although he is an undeclared major. might as well add, he does not like urban campus (aside from Vanderbilt).

Miami University might meet his criteria. The only factor where it doesn't is that it is a state school, however, I think that it recently got permission from the state to charge the same tuition for in and out of state residents.

DH and his brother are both grads. One did history and political science, the other did physics and political science. They also have at least a Navy ROTC unit and I think one other service, if this is an option for scholarships.

It is a classic looking campus that is out in the countryside with a small town around it. However, it is a moderate drive away from Cincinnati, so some of the city options do exist for weekends.