Menu

Would LOVE your opinions on curriculum and scheduling for 8th grade (TOG, IEW, MUS++)

True as Can Be

We are entering a new phase this year as we join a co-op for the first time ever. Here's what I've planned for the year...so far.

History, Literature & Writing: TOG (with IEW videos to supplement)

Algebra: MUS

Science: Apologia Physical Science

Here's where I have questions:

Do I need an additional grammar program?

How about vocabulary? Is TOG vocab. enough?

Need logic suggestions. We've done Thinking Toolbox and Fallacy Detective. Not sure what to do next.

Also, I'm considering using an online Latin program this year. Never have done this before either. It will either be online or Latin Road to English Grammar.

I'm rarely so indecisive but feeling a little insecure about preparing for high school. Amy I missing anything? I haven't included outside activities like art, cello, swim team, etc. here, but we have those in the mix as well.

I'd love to hear your thoughts

my 8th grader is doing the followig:

math(Life of Fred/VideoText)

Vocabulary with Vocabulary Cartoons SAT Word Power

History(A History of US volumes 9 and 10) and reading the Usborne internet-linked encyclopedia of world history

Geography- Maps Charts Graphs(MCP)

writing- ordered Story Starters(Karen Andreola) then Jump In:a workbook for reluctant and eager writers and THEN IEW so I'm not sure which we will go with but we NEED the writing experience

various logic:real life math mysteries,famous people puzzles workbook, thinkfun visual brain storms

music-we are doing a music history using various websites, books on all genres of music and where they came from

Bible-various books with Bible reading

Science- Rainbow science which I have not received...am anxious to see how it goes

I still do not feel like we do enough compared to many of the moms that post...we also take art once a week and guitar weekly.

We are entering a new phase this year as we join a co-op for the first time ever. Here's what I've planned for the year...so far.

Need logic suggestions. We've done Thinking Toolbox and Fallacy Detective. Not sure what to do next.

Also, I'm considering using an online Latin program this year. Never have done this before either. It will either be online or Latin Road to English Grammar.

I'm rarely so indecisive but feeling a little insecure about preparing for high school. Amy I missing anything? I haven't included outside activities like art, cello, swim team, etc. here, but we have those in the mix as well.

I'd love to hear your thoughts

Sounds just like my 8th grader, so I just LOVE you plans (tee hee). We do use the Latin Road to English Grammar and that hits both Latin and grammar in a most excellent fashion!

Throughout the school year, I find TOG vocab is enough, however I supplement over the summer by having them do one workbook of Wordly wise just to expand from topical to general vocab. for just a little bit. If I did both TOG and WW in the year, it would be exasperating.

I throw in Logic, spelling and typing via computer.

Check my blog to see Johnny's 8th grade schedule (scroll down on right side).

Happy home schooling.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert
my error (logic, not latin)

Math - Jacobs' Algebra and Life of Fred Algebra

Science - finishing Apologia Physical Science then starting Apologia Biology

History/Geog - TOG

English

Vocab - Wordly Wise 3000 Book 9 and Vocab From Classical Roots Book C

Grammar - Winston Grammar

Writing - Writing Strands 5

Literature - LLATL Gold Book - British Literature

Shakespeare - 4 plays

French - French In Action

Logic - Thinking Toolbox

Rhetoric - Classical Rhetoric with Aristotle

Art - Artistic Pursuits - Senior High books 1 & 2, classes at AGO/OCAD and local art school

Music - guitar lessons, composer study aligned with TOG

PE - volleyball at local high school and skating with co-op

Sibling Study - they are writing and illustrating a series of short stories

Core-

Math- Mus Pre-Alg and Calculus without Tears

Science- Apologia Gen. Science

History- SL Core 7

LA- CLE and Put That in Writing

Electives-

Foreign Language- Spanish tutoring

Music- Concert Band, Marching Band, Private Lessons and Chorus

P.E.- Not sure yet. (Marching Band for now, but I need something for the 2nd half of the year)

I wouldn't add any more vocab if I were doing TOG. For grammar, you could consider something like Winston Grammar that will give you a review before you move on to High School, without being a heavy program.

Ava

Edited by Dani n Monies Mom

Math - Chalkdust Geometry

Science - Apologia Physical Science (co-op)

History/Geog - TOG Year 2 -OR- HO Level 2 MA

English

Vocab - Vocab From Classical Roots Bks B & C

Grammar - Rod & Staff English 8

Writing - Writing class (1st semester), Wordsmith Craftsman or IEW (2nd) Literature - LL 8 (?)

Great Books study (1 book each month with essay)

Latin - Getting Started w/Latin

Logic - Introductory Logic w/DVDs and Thinking Toolbox

Art - classes (co-op) also possibly God and The History of Art

Music - piano lessons, youth choir

PE - soccer league, horseback riding

Mathcounts team, Awana

(what a packed schedule!! LOL! and this isn't even hs!) :)

I think the fact that you're gearing up for high school credits is good.

We are using Easy Grammar Plus this year and then we'll follow with The Latin Road. In the meantime as I don't want to do BOTH, we're memorizing all of Latina Christiana's vocabulary through the flashcards. Odd, I know, but it so helps me to memorize vocabulary THEN work on grammar. And she gets the general idea of conjugation. :)

I'm done with the budget part of this year and have to wait until my budget "replenishes" at tax season, lol. At that point my wishlist is IEW videos in addition to the fact we're already using TOG.

I feel the vocabulary IS enough if your child likes to read widely and I suspect you wouldn't have picked TOG if your child hates to read, lol. I'm really not concerned about vocabulary.

Logic - I've just NOT decided yet.

But at least you can see my $0.02 on grammar and Latin. We have done Rod & Staff grammar in the past and we just want to ENJOY grammar for once. So we had a nice, rock-solid foundation and this year will be nice and light in that area. :)

So, IMO, your need for an additional grammar program depends entirely on her current useage in everyday writing and her past foundation. If she needs more grammar you'll see it in her writing.