Menu

What History are you using for 9-12 grade?

I was just thinking about the highschool years for my two younger kids. Ds won't be in highschool for another 2yrs, which won't be long!

I know they will need Government/Economics one of those years.

What have you used and really liked?

I am new to this board and am asking similar questions. We just purchased the TRISMS curriculum. We are trying the History Makers which is their middle school curriculum. Trisms is a middle school through high school unit study approach to history. When complete the student will have credits in history, geography, civics, writing, literature, rhetoric, general science, and art history, to name a few.

I am combining it with bits of TWTM, utilizing SWB recommendations for Great Books and other literature. People on this board have given me some great advice and I'm sure they will help you too. Trisms is similar to WTM in that it teaches the child to learn to find the answers for themselves by teaching them how to research and create notebooks with their information. I have been comparing Veritas' Omnibus and Tapistries of Grace (TOG). They are all good and you just have to find a style and program that you think will work for your child.

I'm new to this area myself but I'm sure other will chime in with some great suggestions that I would love to see as well.

D-

I highly recommend Tapestry of Grace to give you all the tools you need to incorporate a quality, classical, great books education for your high schoolers.

Tapestry is divided up like TWTM in four history eras. (though the divisions are slightly different)

TOG gives you, the mom, a chance to teach and discuss with your children by prepping you with information and questions, etc. without your having to read all that your students are reading. I was greatly missing this discussion aspect of the great books study, looking everywhere for resources that would help me get this part done. I have my last child at home now, a 10th grader, who is a strong reader, and I needed something to help me make the most of the great works with her.

There is no guesswork with TOG. And if there are portions of the history/literature/government/philosophy schedules that you do not wish/need to cover, then you are free to leave them out. In the literature and history portions alone (the bulk of their program) I feel I have truly uncovered a goldmine. (They even have an online forum, just like this one, on which you can find answers to all your questions and get advice from other TOGers. It is wonderful!)

For instance, this year, we are doing what Tapestry calls their "year 2" - it's their middle ages, renaissance and reformation, and very early colonial period year. If you go on their website, you'll see this as "Year 2 Redesigned." My daughter has read (for literature): The Inferno, 4 Shakespeare plays, selected ones of his sonnets, Koran selections, Song of Roland, Beowulf, L'Morte de Arthur, The Faerie Queen, The Prince, Tragical History of Dr. Faustus, Utopia, Don Quixote, Pilgrim's Progress, et al.

She is learning how to analyze all these various genres beautifully; it is challenging work for her, and I know she is benefiting greatly.

TOG has many components - you can get their map aids, but don't have to, yet it's there for you should you desire to make the most out of geographical study while doing the history. They do use as a "spine" in history for rhetoric level the Spielvogel's West. Civ., which we had already.

I love it because it allows you, the parent, to be involved, yet gives you all the notes you need to be able to read over easily before discussion time. And it provides all the assignments your student needs to make the most out of the great works, plus other history resources called upon.

They do have a writing program - Writing Aids - for which they incorporate assignments to go along with the study you are doing; you can still use their assignments and use another writing resource, though. Take a look at their website and study their samples online.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help. I do wish I'd had my hands on this while my other children were still at home.

Go to lampstandpress.com and click at the top on Tapestry of Grace to learn all about the curriculum.

(oh, I almost forgot - their year studies cover all learning/age levels of the trivium - so, you use the same year study w/all kids at once, just at different levels; but the work is all laid out for you, books needed, assignments, etc.)

HTH!

Jo

We are using the following schedule:

9th grade - Notgrass Exploring World History

10th grade - Notgrass American History

11th grade - Civics and Government

12th grade - we will not have a history as she only needs 3 for her diploma program. This will free her up for CC classes.

We are enjoying the Notgrass as my dd is not a history person and neither am I. We have tried TOG, Spielvogel, etc. and failed miserably. This works for us. I am glad we found it.

HTH

We have used Gileskirk for our history for two years now and we all absolutely love it. We have learned so much and I can't tell you how often I see what my son is learning applied to our everyday lives. My son will read an article in the paper or a magazine and mention how it ties into what we are learning in Gileskirk. On the practical side, it has taught my son (and myself) excellent note taking skills. I have no doubt he will do a wonderful job taking notes in college level courses. If you want history that is relevant, and which opens up opportunities for great discussions, I highly recommend Gileskirk. To watch a sample lesson or read more about it, go to gileskirk.com.

Mary

Right now our plan is to do SWB's new history as a spine (it's for high school and beyond, can't think of the title off hand). Dd isn't that keen on history, but has to do it, and she like's SWBs writing style, so that will help.

This thread got me thinking. This is what I'm thinking of doing at the moment, although it might be too huge. I'm thinking of using SWB's book as a spine, then also using Josephus, Snorri Sturluson, that other middle ages historian (can't think of his name) and the Bible. Oh, yes, and Ussher's history of the world. And then study some primary source stuff such as the Code of Khammurabi when we get there. Plus incorporate science, for eg reading different scientific views on data re: when the continents split (the uniformitarian version, the one that claims it was 4,000 years ago, and any others I might find). Oh, yes, math--for eg the Hebrew numbering system (since they used their alphabet), etc--more historical. My dd won't like this, of course, but I've always wanted to read through some of these books myself.

fwiw, Snorri Sturluson, a very controversial historical character, is considered the first to actually do research before writing his history. He also broke with the custom of the time and didn't write it in Latin.

Yes, nothing like starting off thinking really, really big. Such is my way so often. Reality doesn't always fit, but it's fun to think big. If it flops with my first, it just might work with my second or third!