Menu

Pack list for college? Help!

Gwen in VA

Thank you, Kareni! I really appreciate your finding that!

And yes, Kate, I am a bit jealous of that short packing list. My two older kids are living away this summer but don't need most of their college "stuff," so we have a HUGE pile in the middle of our family room -- two rugs, a bolster, coat racks, a stool, boxes of sweaters, etc. etc. etc. Hopefully we will drop MOST (if not all) of the pile back at school in a few weeks, but it is definitely the elephant in the middle of our family room! :tongue_smilie:

I'd add 3M Command hooks/strips to the packing list. Make sure your student practices removing them before he actually uses them at school -- a lot of damage can be done if they aren't removed properly.

Also, an over-the door hook is handy for towels.

My son went through a ton of band aids - all sizes. e.g. He skinned his knee and needed the super-huge ones. It's important to keep wounds covered due to the prevalence of MRSA.

Another thing he'll take this year that he didn't take last year: A plastic bowl in case he gets sick. He did not have much experience with being sick before he went to school, so he didn't recognize his body's signals for vomiting. One night, he woke up nauseous and was not prepared when he started vomiting. It was a big mess for he and his roommate -- certainly not something you want to deal with when you're sick. After that, my son kept a large plastic bowl behind his bed just in case! Plain crackers and a bottle of Gatorade in the emergency medicine pack will go with him this year, too.

If your student is going to a large school, the health center can be a long way from the dorm-- for my older son, it was a mile away and there was no transportation provided. When I called the health center they said, "Maybe a friend can drive him." None of his friends had cars. Fortunately, it was just a 24 hour bug and he toughed it out alone (well not exactly...he called me periodically to say how bad he felt.)

Edited by Sandra in NC
typo

Hi Gwen,

Loved the list! Just wanted to add that my son will be taking a laptop lock, also. I haven't looked at it closely, but it seems to somehow attach the laptop to the desk with a steel cable and a lock.

Just an FYI. We went shopping last night for stuff to take on Saturday!

Oh, and something else we feel will be handy--He has the top bunk, and wanted a place to put his clock and maybe his wallet (during the night), so we got him a small metal shelf that can hook onto the bed rail. Also, we got an extention cord, because his clock is electric (with battery back up).

Have fun packing!