Menu

NCAA

hsmomto5

I am looking for someone who has gotten through clearinghouse and your child now plays a sport in college. My son is a glofer and in the 11th grade. We just signed up through clearinghouse and I am wondering how strick they are with the texts used and just about the whole process.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Lora in NC

Lora,

I have not finished the process but one of mine is a rising senior so I am a little bit ahead of you. At the beginning, I was quite intimidated by the whole thing. I posted on the College Confidential homeschool board and parents who had completed the process said it is not hard; the NCAA is just trying to find those who are not educating their kids. If you look at the eligibility scale on the NCAA's website, the standards are pretty low, imo.

Also, it was good to have everything ready, because coaches wanted copies of transcripts and test scores before they issued invites for official visits.

On another note, over the past few years I have dealt with many paper pushers, local high school, CC, universities, etc and the people I have talked with at the NCAA have been the kindest, most helpful I have dealt with, esp. the homeschool coordinator I spoke with. Call them if you have questions or concerns. They were great!

My plan is to have him done with all homeschool classes by March or April so if their are any problems, we have time to deal with them. He takes some classes online, but they are already NCAA approved.

Dd#1 will be running cross country in college so after never doing sports forms, I did NCAA in the spring. She cleared fine with all of her classes in the last 3 yrs being at the cc. The only sticky part we had is that she'd taken the CLEP for Intro to Sociology & they don't accept testing for credit. She had taken US History in 8th (hs level) so they could count that to get all the correct boxes checked.