Menu

Biology Labs

How necessary are the dissections on-hand?

My dd did a Biology course that had videos and every video had two labs to be viewed and questions to be answered (clean hands). Does this approach really can count as a lab?

Should I persue in getting her "hands-on" dissections eventhough the Biology class is well over and she squimish at the mention of the labs? Would you call this "torture"? I do have the kit with the "specimens".

Should I give up, she does not seem interested on anything and her grades are going down, and she does not seem to care. She is 16, 17 in Sept. Is this a phase soon to pass? Tell me so.

Any advice, ideas and words of encouragements are really needed and well received.

Thanks in advance.:confused:

I agree with Dot. However, if you feel that dissection is not to be missed, make it a requirement--you are the authority.

There could be many reasons for your dd's disinterest in school--my advice would be try to find out what those might be, but don't placate her--teaching our kids to do hard things and push a little thru discomfort is a good thing. If it's more like depression or something, tho, now is the time to figure it out. I don't think it's ever "just a phase."

Dot and Chris in VA, thanks for your input.

LUV2EDU thanks for the link. I knew about this website years ago, but "I" was set in doing the dissections with the specimens at home. I did show my hubby the site, he watched the demo and was very VERY impressed and want my dd to do this cyber dissections instead of the "real" ones. I liked it too, I like all the questioning while dissecting.

Now, to sell the Biology kit. No reason to have it around.

Thanks ladies, as always, you are superb.:001_smile: