Menu

breaking the spanish Barrier Question....

it will include the CD's, workbook, and answer key. These are all the items you need, however if you want tests, you will have to purchase these separately.

I have listed the program for sale on the swap boards. It moved too quickly for my middle ds, who struggles with academics.

We are using this - level one. It does help, probably, that I took Spanish in high school and do remember a good bit. But, even though there's much I don't remember - all the irregular verbs, for example - my daughter is capable of learning it using the method they have laid out in the program.

They don't incorporate regular (weekly) vocabulary tests, which I think are helpful for the student. I mean, if you buy the tests, which we did, the student gets a good testing of that lesson's vocabulary, but I feel they'll learn it better if you test the week they get the new vocab., just on the vocab.

Everything seems to be very thorough and explanations in the text are solid.

The publisher is also good about responding to emails.

I do go through the lesson ahead of my daughter on each one and make notes for myself. We found that there were little important nuances that were highlighted if I'd looked through the lessons carefully and did not just expect her to get it all just by reading through it and doing the exercises (even though she is very bright and really consciencious).

But that is easy to do; all you need is about 1/2 hr or so of prep for ea. lesson if you are doing that. (12 lessons in whole book)

I recommend it; it has been working well for us.

HTH.

Jo

There are 12 lessons, and let's see she completes a lesson probably in about 1.5 or 2 wks. And, so, she doesn't really get new vocab every WEEK, but more like every other week. There aren't lesson plans or anything like that, like not a schedule or anything for you. But it's pretty easy to open up the book (it's a workbook type student text) and see that they start a lesson out w/vocabulary, just giving it all too them. The cds are there and the book is marked at the places where you listen and what track on the cd, etc. Basically you listen to all the vocab words and then there are some exercises you use it. We just figure out when we want to be finished with something - and we started this in Dec. - and my daughter figures out how much she needs to complete in small pieces on order to get done with the whole thing.

I only spend the little bit of prep, looking through the lesson, making notes, then I sit down with her typically right after she's completed the test for the previous lesson and take her through the new concepts while she follows along in the current lesson, pointing out anything I saw that should be especially noted. I also have her read at certain spots, etc. I do know pronunciation and I listen for that.

Then she takes basically the week to work out the exercises that have to do w/the 3 or 4 new concepts taught that week. The only other times I spend are sitting down to actually check her work together (something we don't do w/math, for instance, because of the nature of this - hearing, speaking, saying the language to another person - like we just go through the exercises and she tells me her answers and so forth.

Then I do sit with her on this one part of each lesson that is a dialogue - you play the CD, she needs to answer orally before the CD answers, etc. I just kind of oversee that.

Then I check tests, etc., and that is the only time I spend. (so, maybe 1 hr or 1.5 hr. a week? for me) I don't need a teacher book - what they do is in the self-learner packet ($50) they give you all the exercise answers with that.

If you want the tests, they are separate, as someone on here mentioned, I think, and they're $20, incl.answers, I think.

Oh - I don't know if this is what you meant or not; I gave you how long I spend, but probably my daughter spends about 30 or 40 minutes a day, roughly, on it (??)

Does this help?

Please feel free to ask anything else you are wondering.

Sincerely,

Jo

There are 12 lessons, and let's see she completes a lesson probably in about 1.5 or 2 wks. And, so, she doesn't really get new vocab every WEEK, but more like every other week. There aren't lesson plans or anything like that, like not a schedule or anything for you. But it's pretty easy to open up the book (it's a workbook type student text) and see that they start a lesson out w/vocabulary, just giving it all too them. The cds are there and the book is marked at the places where you listen and what track on the cd, etc. Basically you listen to all the vocab words and then there are some exercises you use it. We just figure out when we want to be finished with something - and we started this in Dec. - and my daughter figures out how much she needs to complete in small pieces on order to get done with the whole thing.

I only spend the little bit of prep, looking through the lesson, making notes, then I sit down with her typically right after she's completed the test for the previous lesson and take her through the new concepts while she follows along in the current lesson, pointing out anything I saw that should be especially noted. I also have her read at certain spots, etc. I do know pronunciation and I listen for that.

Then she takes basically the week to work out the exercises that have to do w/the 3 or 4 new concepts taught that week. The only other times I spend are sitting down to actually check her work together (something we don't do w/math, for instance, because of the nature of this - hearing, speaking, saying the language to another person - like we just go through the exercises and she tells me her answers and so forth.

Then I do sit with her on this one part of each lesson that is a dialogue - you play the CD, she needs to answer orally before the CD answers, etc. I just kind of oversee that.

Then I check tests, etc., and that is the only time I spend. (so, maybe 1 hr or 1.5 hr. a week? for me) I don't need a teacher book - what they do is in the self-learner packet ($50) they give you all the exercise answers with that.

If you want the tests, they are separate, as someone on here mentioned, I think, and they're $20, incl.answers, I think.

Oh - I don't know if this is what you meant or not; I gave you how long I spend, but probably my daughter spends about 30 or 40 minutes a day, roughly, on it (??)

Does this help?

Please feel free to ask anything else you are wondering.

Sincerely,

Jo

One last thing, did you go into this already knowing spanish? I took 2 years in high school but wonder what my memory is? Is each book considered a years worth so a credit worth of spanish?

thanks

lori

Hi Lori,

Definitely, I would not say I "know" Spanish. I am about the same as you - I either had two years or three of it in school - twenty-five years ago.

I remember just some basic things and wouldn't consider my knowledge really super strong. Comfortable enough to be able to help my daughter with pronunciation, some of the concepts of translation from one language to another - like how in Spanish it literally says this, but here's how it translates to English the way we speak....etc.

I have very limited vocabulary recall. I knew my basic numbers, but even days of week and months I had forgotten, or was "sketchy" on. Some familiar sayings or greetings I remembered, but not many.

We've already been doing Latin for a few years in our house, too, so my daughter has been in the thick of learning about some of these translation concepts already, too.

And, as far as credits, yes, I believe each book would be considered one credit. That is the way I plan to count it. You could easily check with the author; they have the contact info online (tobreak.com - I think) and discuss that question with him, Mr. Connor, I think, by phone.

I do think it would be ideal w/foreign language to have a tutor who is fluent - obviously, I suppose - but I just don't have that luxury. We are in a small town and I don't have access to anyone like that. I still think we'll have a basic "working knowledge" conducting the learning this way. I am even hesitant to have her in our community college's classes for it, because I have not heard good reviews on that. I figured she could still learn more at home. If she were not a really bright kid, it might be a harder decision for us, but she handles things pretty well.

I hope this has helped. Don't hesitate if there's anything else...

Jo