Menu

language books help

my son is almost 8 years old and has been in evaluations for asperger's/PDD-NOS/severe comorbid ADHD for a couple of years now. no official diagnosis at this time.

for the coming school year i am at a loss. he really likes his MUS alpha, but getting him to do any kind of listening for history or science, etc is totally impossible. and language books have not been very successful either because, while he likes the activities, he HATES all the writing. it is obvious he is NOT an auditory learner. he is VERY hands on. he can build things like nobody's business. which is why we are doing body science this year. he loves studying the body, and my husband got us a skeleton model to build and i have a book that you use to "build" a body from card stock. but other than that his cirriculum includes:

*math u see alpha

*wordly wise book A (which i think he will like because of the games and short lessons).

that is literally it. i need a language program for him. i feel like he is SO smart, but falling further and further behind where he needs to be (not keeping up with other kids, but more just learning his basic skills) . he reads at around a 4-5th grade level WHEN i can get him to sit to do that.

thanks for any advice.

stephanie--wife to my hero, mom to 6

For our son who is somewhat similar we have used Growing with Grammar (it is not hands on, but broken down well). I kept our son's schedule consistant and allowed for several small breaks during the day. Another program that is hands on is Winston Grammar. I also use alternative sourses out of Linguisystems and Superduper. My son loves to look at books that have lots of pictures and has learned a lot of science/history that way also (Apologia, encyclopedias, etc). Although our son loves to listen to audio stories, etc. in the beginning I did require him to sit an listen to short periods of time of "out loud reading" and slowly extended those times to where now he does well. We did the same thing with his reading - short segmants at first, slowing building up to regular chapter books now. This set our son up for success with little to no frustration for something that he didn't really care to be doing. Sometimes I would also set his least favorite subject in front of his favorite (i.e., we are going to do reading then you can do your math with the manipulatives, etc.). HTH

T