Menu

Singapore users

razorbackmama

I'm not there yet, but I think I'm more likely to transition to the typical U.S. math sequence. I want dd to have a strong year of algebra in 8th grade and will look at Dolciani and Foerster's and maybe others. So that leaves us with 7th grade to figure out. I'll look at Dolciani's Pre-Algebra that I have heard exists and do more research in a year or two to see what else is out there. We could even conceivably do a year of NEM, but I think I'm more likely to change.

I used to teach high school math and have a bunch of old textbooks around that I could use too. I have no problem choosing one text for Algebra, a different author for Geometry, etc. That's pretty much how it worked where I taught. The goals that I have for my kids are a strong algebra program in 8th grade (I'm not into watered down algebra in 6th & 7th like our schools do around here) and calculus as a senior with either the AB AP test or the BC AP test (if they're still using that terminology). There is a chance that we'll put our kids in the public high school, so I don't want to be doing anything too drastically different.

We are using NEM. I think it is an excellent program - very in depth. Lots of mathematical thinking going on. However, it is difficult. I majored in Math in college and some of the problems have me stumped. I am worried about what to do after NEM 2 because there are no solutions manuals after that. I guess I will be hanging out at the SingaporeMath.com boards for help:). Even though my oldest is only halfway through NEM2, he did very well on the SAT this past June, as a freshman. There is some terminology that is different, but not an insurmountable abstacle. I do plan on doing a proof geometry course somewhere because the geometry is not proof-based.

My oldest went to ps when she finished 6B. She did pre-algebra there even though she placed into algebra because I was uncomfortable with putting her in a classroom of advanced 8th graders when she was just in 6th grade (and looked more like a 5th grader). She did algebra the next year at ps, but the teacher didn't teach algebra; he taught "how to use a graphing calculator" instead. The book went home the 2nd week of school and he told them not to bring it back until the end of the year. She opened it exactly twice the whole year. She returned to hs the next year and did Jacobs Algebra since she hadn't learned any algebra in her algebra class at ps. After that she did Jacobs Geometry and then Kinetic Books Algebra II.

My middle dd finished 6B about 3/4 of the way through 6th grade. I had her do a one month free trial of aleks pre-algebra, but she hated it. Then I had her work through Math Smart Junior over the summer. This gave her a nice overview of pre-algebra topics. For 7th grade she worked through the first half of Jacobs Algebra and Kinetic Books Algebra I. In 8th grade she decided to stick with just Kinetic Books. It got much more difficult in the 2nd half and it took her all of 8th grade to finish Algebra I. She is working in Jacobs Geometry now and will do Kinetic Books Algebra II after that. She prefers Kinetic Books to Jacobs and is doing Jacobs Geometry only because KB doesn't have a geometry program.

My youngest will probably need to do a complete pre-algebra program before moving on to algebra I. I hope that Kinetic Books will have their pre-algebra program finished in time. She should be ready for it in 1.5 years.

What is the difference between the AB and the BC? I've seen this before and wondered.

An AP Calculus AB course is typically equivalent to one semester of college calculus. AP Calculus BC is worth two semesters of college credit. At the high school where I taught, the honors math sequence started with Geometry in 9th grade and led to BC calc in 12th grade. There was also a sequence that started with Algebra in 9th grade and led to AB calc in 12th grade. Those kids were good students but maybe more likely to pursue English or history in college rather than engineering or science. If my kids have facility with math they'll do BC. If math isn't their thing, I would still like for them to do AB.

An AP Calculus AB course is typically equivalent to one semester of college calculus. AP Calculus BC is worth two semesters of college credit. At the high school where I taught, the honors math sequence started with Geometry in 9th grade and led to BC calc in 12th grade. There was also a sequence that started with Algebra in 9th grade and led to AB calc in 12th grade. Those kids were good students but maybe more likely to pursue English or history in college rather than engineering or science. If my kids have facility with math they'll do BC. If math isn't their thing, I would still like for them to do AB.

Wow, and I thought my school offered advanced math by offering AB calc. to seniors.:001_huh: When I was in school the "honors track" was Alg. I in 8th and then ended up at AB calc. in 12th. The "regular track" was Alg. I in 9th and then trig/pre-cal. in 12th.

My son is nearly finished with 6B. For 8th, he's going to work through Life of Fred Beginning Algebra, and Singapore's Discovering Mathematics 1, which has TMs for all levels with solutions to all the problems.

At least, that's what we're going to try; I don't know yet how this will work out for him time-wise. And if we have to drop one, I don't know which one. He really likes LoF, I really like Singapore.

This dc, I suspect, will go all the way through calculus. I don't know, yet, at this point about AP or anything like that.

My current plan after 6b is to do a year of Discovering Mathematics, then a traditional sequence - I'm thinking Foersters for one kid and LOF for the other, but we'll see!

We've been doing the earlier LOF books in the summer since after 4b. I'm hoping to have them do his new pre-algebra next summer after 6b if it's ready.

What do you use after Primary Mathematics? Do you use NEM or something else? And what do you use after NEM?

Kristen,

Well I keep playing with the "plan" so we will see what really happens, but here is the current version.

Finish RS E then G then go to a Pre-Algebra (considering Lial's BCM and Dolciani's Modern Introduction to Analysis right now), then move to Video Text. Not that I love that idea because it is a video text, but it has a good reputation for covering the why of math well, which is what I want.

At the same time finish up Singapore Primary texts and start the Singapore Developing Math series. Singapore again is my thinking, problem solving program. I like the DM series over the NEM because it is said to have better explanations and more importantly it has full answer keys for all 4 levels. :D

I actually am collecting all the popular texts and will work through parts of all of them to get a feel for them then make a final decision. Right now I have Forester, Dolciani, Lial and Jacobs Algebra 1 as well as NEM 1. I still want to get DM 1, Art of Problem Solving, Life of Fred and maybe Russian Math. So does that make me through or a we bit obsessive compulsive? ;)

Heather

Howdy,

Twins are on track to transition into all boys high school so I wanted a curriculum that would allow that. I have chosen LOF, with Dolciani, Pearson and Frisk as additional material if needed. I honestly thought I would do NEM after Singapore as I have so enjoyed it with DD so far.

My son is nearly finished with 6B. For 8th, he's going to work through Life of Fred Beginning Algebra, and Singapore's Discovering Mathematics 1, which has TMs for all levels with solutions to all the problems.

At least, that's what we're going to try; I don't know yet how this will work out for him time-wise. And if we have to drop one, I don't know which one. He really likes LoF, I really like Singapore.

This dc, I suspect, will go all the way through calculus. I don't know, yet, at this point about AP or anything like that.

Ditto to all of this (except B won't be in 8th for a while). I like teaching Singapore, he would be happy to only do LoF. My compromise is to have him do both (finishing Primary Math 6 and LoF Decimals/Percents now, Discovering Math and LoF Beg Alg this fall).

• 3 weeks later...

6th grade - SM 6A/6B, SM Intensive Practice 6, LOF Beg Alg w/Companion

7th grade - SM Discovering Mathematics 1, continue LOF Beg Alg

8th grade - SM Discovering Mathematics 2 and Traditional Alg 1 text either Chalkdust or Foerster or Dolciani... (hopefully dd can manage 2 programs)

9th - 12th - Geometry, Alg 2, Pre-Calc/Trig, Calc BC or Calc at cc

... most of the time plans change... but that's *the plan* LOL!!