Menu

WA homeschool question

We've been homeschooling for almost 4 years in WA but my dd just turned 8. So now I must fill out the Declaration of Intent to Provide Home-based Instruction Form.

Is the form that is downloadable from the WHO site generally acceptable? Do you mail it in to your district superintendents office or do you hand deliver it? I'm afraid of it getting lost in the system. I've called our district several times for many different reasons and they seem so utterly disorganized and uninformed of who does what. TIA

I called the district office, asked where I needed to go to fill out the forms, and went there. I filled out a form (maybe had to show Birth certificates to prove age the first time, maybe not, I can't remember-ask when you call to get directions) and was in and out in 5 minutes. They stamped a date on it, gave me a copy and I was done. After that first time, each year I just stopped by, filled out the same form, and was done.

I always print the form from the WHO site and mail it to my district office. We have not had any problems in our ten years as homeschoolers.

If you are worried about getting lost in the shuffle, send it with a return reciept which you can attach to a copy for your own records.

Initially I got the form that our district uses (Issaquah) and only included the basic info required. Now each summer they send me a new form to fill out and I mail it in to them. I used to pay extra for a return receipt or at least proof that I mailed it, but now I just keep a copy. But then I guess it's reassuring that I've got the name of the district person responsible for sending and receiving the forms.

Our district is a mess. I needed a copy of our form, stamped that it had been received, (the one I downloaded from the district website), to enroll my son in the Running Start program at the C.C. The woman in the district office said that she "used to save them but now she just recycles them"! Fortunately, I'd sent mine in early, so it was on file.

With younger children, you should not have any trouble at all.

Our district is a mess. I needed a copy of our form, stamped that it had been received, (the one I downloaded from the district website), to enroll my son in the Running Start program at the C.C. The woman in the district office said that she "used to save them but now she just recycles them"! Fortunately, I'd sent mine in early, so it was on file.

With younger children, you should not have any trouble at all.

I thought a student MUST BE enrolled in a public school in order to participate in Running Start. :confused:

I thought a student MUST BE enrolled in a public school in order to participate in Running Start. :confused:

So did the person at the c.c., when we first signed up. ;) We had to jump through lots and lots of hoop. No one there seemed to know how to deal with us so I ended up driving around town quite a bit, looking for correct paperwork, etc. But once he was in, his experience has been nothing but fantastic. Great classes, great profs.

But. I believe the rules just changed. When we registered for fall classes last spring at the c.c., we were told by the counselor that students in Running Start will now have to go through the office of the school that the child *would* be attending, if s/he were in school. We will not have to go through that process, because we're grandfathered in to the old rules. So you would have to work with you local school, but I don't believe the student has to be enrolled there.

We also have to pay student fees now, which had been waived for Running Start students up until now. The economy has hit the community colleges hard. I mentioned in another thread that the German program was cut at our c.c.

Thanks all! Has anyone here dealt with the Snohomish School District?

We have. No problems at all. I just sent in the WHO form (the one the school district provides asks for more info than you are legally required to provide). My friend who still resides in that district always takes her form in & gets a stamped copy. It's a matter of personal preference. :)

in taking my form in person. I print it off the Who site. Take it to the superintendent's office, they stamp it there and print a copy of it for me. While I am there I pick up my free Puyallup Fair tickets. Then I walk away grinning! All done with them!

I believe every district, at least those on the west side of the state. Not sure about the rest. I just ask for them, they give me a teacher pass and one for each school age child. Sometimes they give me a teacher pass for my husband as well.

I fill out the form the school district has on their website. I think it asks for the birth date, but legally they only need to know the age of the student. WHO probably has the form that asks only the information the school districts can legally ask, but we have been in the same school district all along and since they already have my extra information, I don't see a need to change now. I take my form in to the office, let them stamp when they received it, and ask for a copy for each of my children. I've had no problems whatsoever.