Menu

Can someone compare R&S 3 to FLL3 in terms of thoroughness/difficulty?

Sue G in PA

I'm sure this has been discussed. We had planned to use R&S 3 only b/c FLL 1/2 was such a "bust" for us. *I* love/loved it...ds's did not :( After getting FLL3 out of our library and looking at it and the samples from the workbook on the website...I'm rethinking my decision. FLL3 just looks much more thorough and better laid out than R&S (which I personally don't prefer, but dd11 likes it and ds8 seems to like R&S 2 okay). Anyway, any opinions/commentary? TIA

Well I'll see if I can help. I should tell you up front. I don't like R&S. I used R&S 5 and 6 with my oldest and started R&S 3 with my middle. Then we bailed on it for everyone. I'm currently using FLL3 with my middle. I like it alot. She likes it. It's not hard but it's thorough and the content definately equivalent or then some to R&S3. The benefit I see with FLL3 is that it isn't dull like R&S can be plus it includes narration, poetry memorization and some light dication so it's more than just grammar. It includes writing that you can do at your own schedule depending on the writing level of your child.

Hope this helps

I can't compare them b/c I'm not familiar with R&S. I can only say that we used FLL3 this year and have nearly completed it and my dd really enjoyed it and it was easy to teach. We liked it well enough to use FLL4 next year and I hope to use FLL3 with younger children when they are ready.

We recently have started FLL 3 after changing from R&S grammar. I much prefer FLL to R&S. I have always found R&S dry and boring but I couldn't find anything that was as thorough. I am pretty sure that I have found it. Now we only started last week, but my dd is enjoying FLL very much. There is much more variety to FLL. It has more life and it is very rigourous, imo.

The one thing, though, that I have problems with is the workbook. I don't think you have to get the workbook in order to do the program. All of the exercises are written out in the teacher's manual so I don't know why you couldn't use the whiteboard for the exercises. If you like workbooks, then you might not have a problem with it. This is just a personal preference.

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

My dd11 uses R&S5 w/ no problem but personally I can't stand it. Boring. Ds8 uses R&S 2 when we get to it w/out much fuss, but we do it orally so no biggie. I find it rather boring, too. I loved FLL1/2 but he found it to be too repetitive and boring. Ugh. I really like the looks of FLL 3. Today, I must sit down w/ the 2 texts and see how they match up as far as scope/sequence. Spending more money on curriculum when I already have one isn't that appealing. AND, I would need the workbook b/c it looks like too much trouble to copy it out myself.