Menu

What's the point of decorating a cake anyway?

Guest Virginia Dawn

It's all going to end up in the same place anyway, eh?

LOL! I've often had thoughts like this whenever I cook anything, especially when my kids were little.

Now it sometimes gives me pleasure to take a little extra effort, gets my creative needs filled. Other times I do it because I know it will cause someone else pleasure. But a lot of times I just slap it together so we can get to the business of eating it. :-)

The pictures - that's why.

And, for some reason, I take great pride in decorating my kids' birthday cakes; but in all honesty, it does hurt a little when the cake is cut.

Yeah, me, too. But my fondant is old, it's not sticking, & dh thinks it looks weird & tastes bad. Mom's here, & between the 2 of them...I'm ready to take a book to Starbucks & have them call me when it's all over.

I used to love decorating the kids cake for each birthday. One more thing I can't do anymore since my dominant hand bit the bullet.

I *loathe* the ones from the grocery store. They use shortening in the icing, and it leaves this gross film on the roof of your mouth. *shudder*

On the upside, my kids love decorating their own cake. Slap on homemade chocolate icing, let them hit the bulk candy section of the grocery store, and then they load the goodies on the cake. I think they like that even more than the cakes that took me hours to decorate :lol:

It's too funny you posted this. I was just telling a friend the other day that I wish I had a hobby where the results lasted for more than a 2 hour b-day party (plus the few days it takes to eat the leftovers, if there are any ;)) It would be nice if I learned to quilt or crochet or something that really lasted, you know?!

On a funny note....A few years ago, for my mom's birthday, I decided to try one of those fancy filled cakes. I thought I'd be super fancy and try mousse. Ha! The mousse didn't set up right and I served it to her in a bowl with candles stuck on top. It was very yummy and very funny!

The pictures - that's why.

And, for some reason, I take great pride in decorating my kids' birthday cakes; but in all honesty, it does hurt a little when the cake is cut.

I used to spend hours decorating my kids' birthday cakes - and then didn't want to cut into them.

Yeah, me, too. But my fondant is old, it's not sticking, & dh thinks it looks weird & tastes bad. Mom's here, & between the 2 of them...I'm ready to take a book to Starbucks & have them call me when it's all over.

You can't go wrong with a chocolate ganache... :D

Now I want cake. :glare:

Heh, heh! It'll be over soon enough...till next year! :tongue_smilie:

On another note, you should try the recipe for marshmallow fondant from allrecipes.com. It's pretty good, takes color well, and I really actually like the taste.

It's too funny you posted this. I was just telling a friend the other day that I wish I had a hobby where the results lasted for more than a 2 hour b-day party (plus the few days it takes to eat the leftovers, if there are any ;)) It would be nice if I learned to quilt or crochet or something that really lasted, you know?!

You should take up scrapbooking!

The results really last!

As much as the days prior and hours before the party are a crazy, roller coaster ride of Mom Stress, the love and moments of the party are well worth it!

We just had my son's 5th B-day party and I was a wreck leading up to it. Yep, I have to make the cake. Some crazy need to have that personal touch. Plus, I have to admit, I do like to hear the "Did you really make this cake? Wow" (when it's a box mix and icing blended in the kitchen aid).

I'm still looking for a quality buttercream which isn't made with shortening for decorating. Anyone have a good one? I can whip up a nice flavored icing that's light but sturdy enough to decorate, but haven't found one make of butter (too soft).

Have a wonderful celebration! You know you're smiling inside and glowing. Can you believe another year has passed!

Oof! Hope the day improves!

I think fondant is pretty, but nasty even when it's fresh. I try to compromise using "rolled buttercream" (equal parts light corn syrup and shortening mixed together with a pinch of salt, a few drops of Wilton butter flavoring, and massive quantities of powdered sugar kneaded in -- yes, it's the worst possible thing to eat in the world). It tastes like kandykorn in frosting form though, and it does roll out *almost* as pretty as fondant (though doesn't last like fondant).

Anyway, your reasons (grinning, pats on the back) are pretty much the reasons for decorating birthday cakes. I'd add "creative expression". It's fun.

Except, um, when it's not... Eek. Hope that by now, you're either enjoying a great party -- or a quiet afternoon *alone* at a coffee shop!

I *loathe* the ones from the grocery store. They use shortening in the icing, and it leaves this gross film on the roof of your mouth. *shudder*

THAT'S why you're supposed to have hot coffee with store frosting. It melts the shortening on the way down. Didn't you learn anything growing up? :D

The only reason is to cover up the gouges from where it stuck to the pan because I didn't line it properly with parchment.

And to cover up where I had to trim off a bit of burnt parts around the edges.

And to cover up where the toddler/dog/momentarily insane mother took a bite out.