Menu

Mt. Union College in Ohio - any experience/knowledge?

Guest Katia

Guest Katia

My dd found Mt. Union College in Alliance, Ohio...because it is a smallish, liberal arts college that has a Japanese major (which is really hard to find in small colleges).

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this college? Any good, bad, or otherwise?

This won't be of any help, Katia, but the subject line grabbed my attention.

My brother went there for one semester in 1989, and he hated it.

BUT -

It sounded like a pretty good school. Turns out, he was more of a big-city kid and just didn't know it. He didn't like it b/c he felt he was a misfit - he was definitely a non-conformist, and the students were more "normal".

Like I said, no help. I'll be interested what you find out, though!

YES! My niece starts her second year there in August. She is majoring in Math and Middle School education, I believe.

It is small, and expensive, but she got an excellent scholarship. She's outgoing, smart, funny--not your typical Greek Sorority girl, but she is now active in a sorority and LOVES it. Her dad, my brother, died five years ago, and she is very active in volunteering--Mt. Union provides avenues for her to continue giving service that way.

If you pm me your email, I can write her with your info and she can tell you about MU.

• 2 weeks later...

I live nearby, and know students there.

Pretty campus, has a great football team. Well-known locally for it's education major. We have a friend who is an environmental science major there. She got aid but I don't know how much.

Campus newspaper leans liberal. We rarely read anything bad about the school in the paper, even if there's a high-school rumor that it's a party school.

Alliance, Ohio is my home town! I took some music classes there as a senior in high school and had a great experience! My cousin graduated from there with a music education degree and really enjoyed her time there.

It's a beautiful campus, and is expanding. We were there a few weeks ago visiting my parensts and they are building a new gymnasium at MUC that is supposed to be awesome when it is finished. Among other things, it is supposed to include an olympic size pool.

I remember seeing quite a few Japanese students there when I was in high school.

From what I know, it is a good private college, and I may be a bit biased, but it is in a very nice city of about 23,000. :D