Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blue Hen

Local & State Scholarships

I visited my Farmer's Market this morning and met a woman from the local Rotary sellling 50-50 tickets for their scholarship fund. This Rotary group awards 3, $1500/yr scholarships and, frankly I was surprised it was that much. Plus, every little bit will help out. When I asked about obtaining a schlarship application she suggested ds speak to our school's guidance counselor for an application. :lol: Upon hearing that we homeschool she said---'oh, they (school district) won't work with homeschoolers. No, you'll need to come directly to us for an application.' This was an elderly lady so she somehow does know this school district.

Which also got me thinking---how did your child (or you) go about finding out about local and state scholarships?

Carole

Great question!

Very very few of our local scholarships are open to any and all graduating seniors.

All of the ones that other people suggested I investigate turned out to be open only to graduates of the local schools, either only the public schools or both public and private.

Has anyone had a better experience with local scholarships?

Our local public high school (with which my daughter had absolutely NO interactions) has a library with a career/college section. In this section, there are folders with local scholarship options. I visited the school (and had to go through a "Why are you here?" inquisition before being issued a guest pass) and ultimately got to the library where I perused the local scholarship options. No scholarships came out of the attempt; however, it was worth the visit. I visited both early in my daughter's junior and senior years.

Regards,

Kareni

Here you can go see the 12grd counselor at the hs (we only have one.) Many of the scholarships are only for grads of our ps due to how the funder of the scholarship wanted it. The state $ (for us it's Bright Futures) I researched on-line & called their hmscl person to get the details.

We knew about it because they solicit donations through the mail every year for the fund. We asked the leadership, and they said that homeschoolers were welcome to apply. They gave out about 20 awards, and my son was the only homeschooler, but there were quite a few private & Catholic school kids given awards. Most of them did go to the graduates at the local public schools.

I'd suggest doing what the other poster said and inquire or visit your local library & ps guidance office. Our public high school also had some listed on their website.

Brenda

Which also got me thinking---how did your child (or you) go about finding out about local and state scholarships?

Carole

Many public libraries have big books of scholarships that are updated annually. They are arranged by state or topically. There are several brands of these books. Here is an example. They might be shelved in the education section, but they might also be in reference.

I might suggest checking this out early on. Check out the scholarships that are of interest. Pay special attention to any that are related to social or work groups (ex. children of Polish longshoremen or children of retired military living in North Dakota) because they may have less publicity and thus fewer applicants.

I think that while some programs are specific in wanting to be only for graduates of public schools, others would be open to the idea of changing their criteria if asked politely a year or two in advance. Thus the idea of looking early on in high school.

My DH recently completed the work for joining Sons of the American Revolution in part because the organization does offer some scholarships.