Menu

How in the world do people afford to send their children to school?

Oh and another lady who just started homeschooling her kids this year would go and remove all those left over supplies and take them home. She found out that the teachers would stock pile Clorox wipes, Kleenex and such like that and take them home at the end of the year. SO she went in every year and took back the stuff she sent in.:001_huh:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya!

We just spent $85 on "mandatory" supplies. My son will likely come home with another list the first week of school of more specific things for specific teachers.

We also have to decide if we want to buy athletic punch cards, PTO membership, yearbook, ect. and pay for those at registration.

Oh, and pictures will be made at registration (pictures before school even starts?). You can purchase those, of course.

Then in a month or so we will get the Textbook Rental fee statement. That's at least $100.

And school lunches.....homeschooling can be MUCH cheaper!

Whatever. In high school, I was required to purchase my own textbook for chemistry class. Yes, required. I also had to buy the chemicals for experiments. And our principal on an annual basis got in front of the school and threatened/bullied us to sell magazines and candies. Her screams still echo in my head that we would not be allowed to walk at graduation unless we sold a magazine. To my knowledge, nobody decided to test it out.

Wow! I am 41yo and went k-12 in ps all over the nation. I was never once expected to buy supplies in excess of what I personally wanted to use. Buying towels and wipes -- unheard of! In middle school in CA, each student would get 1 Ticonderoga #2 pencil. That was considered sufficient to get a kid thru a month. Never paid for any textbooks even though I took 3 AP classes. These high schools need to get a grip on their demands for largesse. Sounds like it would cost only marginally more for a kid to take classes at the local community college for credits.

How screwed up are the priorities in a school (district) that they don't even budget in basic supplies?

In the paper here last year, a teacher defended her inclusion of a can of tennis balls on the list by explaining that the classroom is much quieter w/tennis balls on chair legs. She said you couldn't believe all the noise the chairs made!!!!!!!!

Well then, she can pay for them. But unfortunately, there are many teachers out there with god complexes (no offense to actual caring teachers here) and feel they are owed everything ("well the kids sit on the chairs and wear out the tennis balls, so they should bring them in" add some cheese to that whine).

How screwed up are the priorities in a school (district) that they don't even budget in basic supplies?

Well, my high school district had money in the budget for glossy signs with the "report a gun" hotline number on it. A lot of signs. And a metal detector!

I don't have a problem with children bringing their own paper and pencils, but having to supply chemicals and books isn't quite the way it's supposed to work in most public schools.

And fundraising should be done without bullying. The funds from candy and magazines went to the school through some convoluted process (the friends group) to buy things the school "needed" like that electric bulletin board thing. I never observed that they did anything else with the money.

And mind you, there was no working girls' bathroom in one whole building the whole time I attended that school. I don't know why that was never an issue.

When Diva was in ps, the whole 'supply' thing made me nuts. The list included something like 10 glue sticks. I asked the teacher if they were eating them for snack. Seriously, 10 glue sticks per kid! And nothing, NOTHING is sent home at the end of the year as being 'extra'. They're simply kept. We've never been a family with a lot of extra money, most of the time we're delighted to get all the bills paid and still have grocery money! So the idea that we buy stuff to go into a common bin ticked me off something fierce. I wanted to supply MY child, not the classroom. I frankly didn't have the extra cash to be supplying more than my child, and it ticks me off that I'd be expected to. Plus, the list wasn't brand specific, and I much prefer Crayola to dollar store, and bought accordingly. So, I refused. Told the teacher that I would supply Diva with what SHE needed, everything was labelled, and I would send in things as they needed to be replentished for HER, not the entire classroom. I also didn't want Diva getting dollar store stuff when we'd bought her name brand. Teacher was ticked, but too bad.

I never had to send even HALF of what was on the list.

I remember all too well the costs of sending the kids to ps. I had to take money out of my grocery budget for school shopping in the summer which wasn't a large budget to begin with. Then had to come up with extra $$ for school lunch items, (nothing for the microwave so left overs were out, no peanut butter due to other kids allergies so cheap protein was out, they were not allowed to leave the lunch room to go to the water fountain so had to send a drink, they didn't want the kdis to bring waterbottles for lunch only for in the classroom so it had to be tetra packs etc). Then the school fees, class pcitures, hot lunch once a month, constant fundraising, feildtrip fees and the list goes on.

Now as a homeschooler not only do I not have to spend all that, but I am given money to buy school supplies and books.

I love when people talk about the "free" education received in public school. Free my A** it cost me a fortune to send my 2 kids and they were only in ps for K-2. I hate to think what the higher grades would be.

I think it's reasonable to talk to the teachers and ask them what the children REALLY need, in case it's the office workers making the lists.

But, I would rather take extras for the kids who don't have supplies than have children in school without supplies. It isn't right there are stupid projects receiving govt funding while school's don't have the means to supply some/all of the basics, but it is what it is. It isn't right to expect teachers to spend the money they are earning by teaching our children, to turn around and pour THEIR money into supplies for OUR/YOUR kids.

It's much easier for those who CAN afford it, to supply extra items (I mean, $0.25 for an extra box of crayons isn't going to break anyone's budget) so that ALL of the students have what they need in the classroom and so ALL of the students can LEARN in class- instead of arguing over sharing one item, etc.

If the teachers are spending their own money for supplies, what is their incentive to keep working?

To point out too costs vary regionally too. For example, the kids lists used to specificy 24 count box of crayola crayons, 2 boxes each. Those are close to $2 each. We don't get school supplies marked down 25cents around here, or those 1cent deals you all talk about. Buying enough just for your own child is hard enough without supplying enough for the whole class. THose thin little composition books by hilroy, the ones that have lines on the bottom and blank on the top etc are almost 80cents each. These are the ones I see you guys posting as being 5cents a book. When the list says to send 6 of them per child that add up very fast.

Because supplies do not get sent home at the end of the year you can't even reuse things the following year. FOr example, as kids we reused our pencil crayons year after year for school, my kids needed a new set each year, and the teacher would specify the name brand.

What made it worse, was I took my kids to a school in a neighboring city (a rather affluent one) because it was the best school for them, and so they would have been the only ones with dollar store or non-name brand items if I diverged from the list.

Double ouch!

I think the lists are so specific because your child doesn't get to keep your purchases. The supplies go into a big bin and everyone picks from it. This is how it works here in Vegas. So kids who buy generic markers (nothin' wrong with that!) could easily trade them in for name brand ones.

When I taught YEARS AGO, we did not request parents to provide supplies. I used to pay out of pocket for supplies if my school did not provide them.

However, I noticed when my child began school (Kindergarten), I was shocked to get a list of supplies. Then horrified to find out my child couldn't keep the items as it went into a master cabinet for classroom use. Finally, I found out, if you couldn't afford most of the supplies... the teacher never made a big deal out of it. There were plenty of supplies to share.

Oh and another lady who just started homeschooling her kids this year would go and remove all those left over supplies and take them home. She found out that the teachers would stock pile Clorox wipes, Kleenex and such like that and take them home at the end of the year. SO she went in every year and took back the stuff she sent in.:001_huh:

YES!!!!

This is a BIG secret most teachers won't tell you... former schoolteacher... I know this to be true. Mark your child's name with marker all over the item. Ask for it back (if it hadn't been used) at the end of the year. You will get some items back.

It really would be easier though, if we could just give money to the teacher and they could buy the supplies. They could figure out how much it would cost for supplies for one student, and then send a letter stating such and also mention that some students are not able to buy their own supplies and ask for an extra donation to cover those students.

This is what our class did for the second half of the year last year. Everyone sent in $10, and the class mom ran out and bought what the teacher needed. Worked great.

A bottle of clorox and a dishcloth would disinfect more than several containers of wipes!

As a former schoolteacher... I can tell you that the money that should have been spent on basic school supplies is going to upper administrators, new curriculum revision textbooks, and pork "ed" projects. Classrooms never see the money.

BTW, hubby used to be a school custodian. He was told never to use bleach products to disinfect or sanitize. The reason? School district was sued by a family... apparantly, the teen took a whiz in a clean toilet bowl (while the "blue" water was in it. Somehow, got blowback from the toilet and blue bleach water hit his eye. He had a see a doctor but eventually was fine. Settlement from district was in the 6 figure range. But schools as a result no longer TRULY germ-free. This disturbed me from a health point of view. Bleach really kills most staph and bacteria -- and helps with a virus going around in schools. But the lawsuit won.

Wow. My husband would have heart failure if I came to him with that list for each of our 5 kids.

First, I would simply say, "My budget does not allow for this list." and send dc in with the bare bones until I could see what (s)he really, personally needed.

I admire the mom who had the police come. What jerks at a school. I had no idea the fees, etc. have grown so gargantuan. I bought about 100 1-cent folders last year, and although they are not my preference, I use them for most anything...1 cent!

Then, of course, there's duck tape. I bought the 4" binders, as rec. in TWTM, 8 years ago. We still use the same ones. A few have begun to tear, so we duck tape them and then I let the children decide if they want to decorate the tape, or put on a nice cover (made from paper bag or material in the house). Those were the most expensive thing I have ever purchased as a child's supply.

I have community boxes of pencils, map pencils, markers, and glitter pens that we've had for 5+ years now. I did get the older dc jumbo boxes of Crayola crayons one Christmas (for free from a program). They take good care of them and have had them for some time.

My greatest expense is surely curriculum, but i still spend very little for having 5 dc to educate.

What a shame that education has headed in that direction. We didn't pay for such when I was in school, except for the nasty and expensive school food!

many do. it is great. you save money on trendy clothes and you know the children are a bit more covered.

Many of the schools here have gone to requiring uniforms, but not all of them. It's a good idea, but I wonder if the dress code is still not being truly enforced. I see plenty of ps kids in their uniforms on the streets after school - boys wearing their pants hanging off of their butts, girls wearing skirts too short and their shirt buttons hanging open. And there's still the issue of the expensive shoes... seems like there's always at least one kid who gets beaten up and has his shoes stolen each year.

I am so glad to be able to homeschool my kids. I would not be able to afford all of the supplies that would be required, or the uniforms. I buy the folders, notebook paper, spiral notebooks, glue sticks, crayons, and binders when they are really cheap or on clearance and we wear our pajamas to school. :D

In the paper here last year, a teacher defended her inclusion of a can of tennis balls on the list by explaining that the classroom is much quieter w/tennis balls on chair legs. She said you couldn't believe all the noise the chairs made!!!!!!!!

We had a teacher who requested that last year. Plus all mandatory reading must be purchased.

To a certain extent I understand the desire to have the parents who can buy more to pool for the student who can buy any, but we live in the rishest county in TN. We already pay very hefty property taxes to support our schools. I would hazard to guess that we have very few less fortunate students. And in that big long list I forgot to mention an algebra calculator, locker supplies and textbooks. My children are not allowed to bring textbooks home but are supposed to use the on-line versions instead. There is just about nothing that makes me want to bang my head against a wall than trying to do this, so each year I buy all of the kids textbooks so that they can have a copy at home. Even if I buy them used it four or five per student and they are at least $25-$50 a piece used. ANd then of course there will be sports, and pictures, and yearbooks. It never ends. It was much cheaper to homeschool. ANd then sad thing is my 12 year old said she preferred it but that she has already made friends in school and the 10 years old wants to make friends. I think that they got themselves a nice little racket going on here.

Ok, dead tennis balls cut in half and placed on the bottom of desk chair feet rock! They allow the chairs to slide easily and silently. It's truly a miracle, fer cheap. Fer realz. We had these in some of my college classrooms (where I first saw this). It was a very cool & simple thing that kept jarring sounds to a minimum. Kids in classrooms are often moving chairs for group projects, reading groups, meetings etc. For kids who are distracted/disturbed by grinding/jarring/loud noises, this could be a godsend.

I often think of them when my kids are hacking my hardwood floors to death by moving chairs all over the dinning room/kitchen area. lol

here in Australia all school children wear uniforms. my cousin goes to a private school, her school fee per year is $37000. it is a very private girls high school in Melbourne. The school fee doesn't include books, uniform, sports, music , etc. she boards there for extra $.

my step niece goes to a public high school in Melbourne, and her school fee is $8000. This doesn't include books, uniform, excursions etc.

the primary school that my children attended before homeschooling, had school fee of $100 per child, I didn't have to get any books for them in primary school, but I had to get them a uniform, this was around $150 per child. primary school is way cheaper than high school.

here in Australia all school children wear uniforms. my cousin goes to a private school, her school fee per year is $37000. it is a very private girls high school in Melbourne. The school fee doesn't include books, uniform, sports, music , etc. she boards there for extra $.

my step niece goes to a public high school in Melbourne, and her school fee is $8000. This doesn't include books, uniform, excursions etc.

the primary school that my children attended before homeschooling, had school fee of $100 per child, I didn't have to get any books for them in primary school, but I had to get them a uniform, this was around $150 per child. primary school is way cheaper than high school.

What is your tax burden for education?

My problem is we pay a LOT in taxes for education (which we lose if we home school b/c we still have to pay).

Repeat thought that comes up yearly...imagine if I had that money for school!

What? Who gives you money?

The school board. In Alberta you must register either with a non-resident school baord(designed only for homeschoolers), or the public school board. Based on the way you register you are allocated X dollars for school purchases. Those registered traditional (do your own thing) get the least, typically around $700, those who are aligned and pretty much just doing distance or online learning with a teacher overseeing them get the most ($1500). I am registered blended which means I use a combination of the methods based on course, and so I get an amount in between those 2 based on what percentage I am blended. THis year that means I am getting $1200 each for 2 of my kids and $1300 for the 3rd one, for a grand total of $3700 to purchase school supplies, books etc. I access this either by submitting receipts and getting a check back, or by using purchase orders which is what I normally do.

Ok, dead tennis balls cut in half and placed on the bottom of desk chair feet rock! They allow the chairs to slide easily and silently. It's truly a miracle, fer cheap. Fer realz. We had these in some of my college classrooms (where I first saw this). It was a very cool & simple thing that kept jarring sounds to a minimum. Kids in classrooms are often moving chairs for group projects, reading groups, meetings etc. For kids who are distracted/disturbed by grinding/jarring/loud noises, this could be a godsend.

I often think of them when my kids are hacking my hardwood floors to death by moving chairs all over the dinning room/kitchen area. lol

I bought 3 packs of the precut ones at the dollar store for the kids desks in my livingroom. Before the balls the feet of teh desks were cutting up my tiles (lino tiles), not anymore, now they move easily, quietly and without wrecking the floor. They are a very good thing to have. I was even able to get them in blue to match my livingroom colors :)

I think that is ridiculous. So many people pay so much in school taxes, and basic school supplies can't be provided by the school?? Somehow when we were kids, schools were able to provide these things-- but that was before so much $$ was being spent on senseless bureaucracy, and so many non-essentials. :glare:

What is most irritating is they won't use half the stuff I bought, and I won't get most of it back at the end of the year. And do middle schoolers really need markers glue and scissors at school?

My dd17 had to have those supplies as a 9th grader in high school, and yes she actually used them in all her classes. They were used for projects, and she had many projects between all her classes.

The school board. In Alberta you must register either with a non-resident school baord(designed only for homeschoolers), or the public school board. Based on the way you register you are allocated X dollars for school purchases. Those registered traditional (do your own thing) get the least, typically around $700, those who are aligned and pretty much just doing distance or online learning with a teacher overseeing them get the most ($1500). I am registered blended which means I use a combination of the methods based on course, and so I get an amount in between those 2 based on what percentage I am blended. THis year that means I am getting $1200 each for 2 of my kids and $1300 for the 3rd one, for a grand total of $3700 to purchase school supplies, books etc. I access this either by submitting receipts and getting a check back, or by using purchase orders which is what I normally do.

A girl can dream....wouldn't that be nice?!:w00t:

How do less fortunate people afford to send their kids to PS?

I was just asking my sister that same question yesterday afternoon. She had been telling me about the supplies, PE uniforms, fees and other things she has to pay for before school begins in three weeks. Thankfully, she can afford it, but I wondered what those folks who don't have even $20 to spare in the budget do manage the 'requirements.' Certainly there must be a fair number of folks who cannot stretch the budget that far these days.

Your list is shocking! How can teachers require specific brands? What will they do if a parent is to collect various styles and brands of scissors, rulers, glue sticks and such from around the house to send along?

I wondered what those folks who don't have even $20 to spare in the budget do manage the 'requirements.' Certainly there must be a fair number of folks who cannot stretch the budget that far these days.

Well, sometimes they send their kids with whatever they happened to have been able to afford - done that. Other times, they're luckily pointed in the direction of programs administered through the Y and other organisations that "fill a backpack" for the child, based on the supply list for the child's grade and school.. done that too. (Our kids were in ps for several years and for a good portion of that time we were very much in the low income category.)

When I did have some money to purchase stuff, I never followed the "brand names" that would appear on the list ~ unless they happened to be on sale at a better deal than the generic stuff. The school was welcome to purchase the brand name items if they were so inclined...oddly enough, they never were. ;)

The first year my kids went to ps I did spend more than I'd ever spent on homeschooling.

But I got a little smarter. I label EVERY SINGLE ITEM with my child's last name - the only exception being pencils. I do make sure I get the extras back at the end of the year, and guess what? I send them back again the following year.

But it does tick me off; lots of things don't ever get used.

I don't have much of a problem sharing the crayons and such, and I know there will be some kids that don't have the supplies

When my ds went to ps K, it bugged me about not being able to label stuff. Then I remembered my ps days. I was one of the fortunate kids who showed up on the first day of school with the big box of 64 Crayola crayons with the built-in sharpener and the new pencil box, etc. Then there were the kids with the 8-pack of crayons and the cigar box that they got free at the drug store. The kids with less had enough to deal with, without having to explain to some naive, clueless kid like me why their pencil box has pictures of pilgrims all over it (Dutch Masters cigars).

But I am TOTALLY with you on not sharing the mat. I can't believe she would be expected to share that. Not with all the steps schools have to take to prevent transmission of illness and lice, etc.

"And nothing, NOTHING is sent home at the end of the year as being 'extra'. They're simply kept"

Not in our state. Everything at the end of the year is tossed in the garbage! I kid you not. A friend of mine works in our school district. She homeschools her children as well. She said you would not believe what is thrown out at the end of the year. Items such as Binders( that most could be cleaned and reused), pencils( that could be kept or sent home with the kids for the summer) , worksheets that were never used that year (instead of keeping them for future students), children's family pictures( that were used for projects that year), gym clothes, prom dresses the list goes on and on. My friend stated that at the end of each school year the halls are lined with huge garbage cans and everything is just tossed in the garbage. She said its is a real eye opener. That is pretty much where our tax money goes, in the garbage can at the end of each year. There is no appreciation for the things they have, no one is teaching these children how to recycle and reuse.

In all honesty I would really make sure that your schools keep those things and reuse them for future students. Because in some school districts these things are thrown out. I will admit when our schools are on the news pleading for more tax money I no longer feel sorry for them at all. Especially when 1 million dollars is being used to put astroturf down on a football field for a horrible football team.Go figure. Grass isn't good enough to play football on anymore but they can't supply kids with essentials for school.

Edited by TracyR

When my oldest was in middle school, the PTA had one of those annoying magazine fundraisers. I was under the assumption that the $$$ would be spent to help the school. No. They proudly sent out a notice that now all of the students would get a "free" school yearbook/annual. :confused:

" I will admit when our schools are on the news pleading for more tax money I no longer feel sorry for them at all. Especially when 1 million dollars is being used to put astroturf down on a football field for a horrible football team.Go figure. Grass isn't good enough to play football on anymore but they can't supply kids with essentials for school.

The same thing happens here.

When my oldest was in middle school, the PTA had one of those annoying magazine fundraisers. I was under the assumption that the $$$ would be spent to help the school. No. They proudly sent out a notice that now all of the students would get a "free" school yearbook/annual. :confused:

Ah, the ubiquitous magazine sales drive. I hate that they do that to do the kiddos. Ds's pals have confirmed that they get demerits if they do not sell at least 10 subscriptions. Personally, I think that's reprehensible, and if I were a public school parent I would make one heck of a stink about it.

However, it seems clear to me that, at least around here, parents don't bother to question ANYTHING the school dictates.:001_rolleyes:

"And nothing, NOTHING is sent home at the end of the year as being 'extra'. They're simply kept"

Not in our state. Everything at the end of the year is tossed in the garbage! I kid you not. A friend of mine works in our school district. She homeschools her children as well. She said you would not believe what is thrown out at the end of the year. Items such as Binders( that most could be cleaned and reused), pencils( that could be kept or sent home with the kids for the summer) , worksheets that were never used that year (instead of keeping them for future students), children's family pictures( that were used for projects that year), gym clothes, prom dresses the list goes on and on. My friend stated that at the end of each school year the halls are lined with huge garbage cans and everything is just tossed in the garbage. She said its is a real eye opener. That is pretty much where our tax money goes, in the garbage can at the end of each year. There is no appreciation for the things they have, no one is teaching these children how to recycle and reuse.

In all honesty I would really make sure that your schools keep those things and reuse them for future students. Because in some school districts these things are thrown out. I will admit when our schools are on the news pleading for more tax money I no longer feel sorry for them at all. Especially when 1 million dollars is being used to put astroturf down on a football field for a horrible football team.Go figure. Grass isn't good enough to play football on anymore but they can't supply kids with essentials for school.

Doesn't surprise me a bit. When we lived in FL a family friend of ours worked for the (2nd largest) county school system as a painter and occasional maintainence man. He told us that the county was not allowed to throw undamaged books away, so the way that it got around it to dispose of books was to pile them in a heap outside, soak them down good with the hose, cover them with visqueen and let the hot FL sun do the rest. The then, ruined books could be "legally" tossed (and new books could be ordered to replace them). I was also told that if the schools didn't spend every penny of their budget each year then the school would not receive as much for their budget the following year...that led to the practice of wanton waste only to preserve the priveledge to spend more.

True story.

Geo

Edited by Geo

When my dd was in ps for K, she had a list about like that sent out about 2 weeks before school started. Then, after school started, the teacher sent out her personal supply list that added even more stuff! It was really infuriating! Their things were pooled, too, so dd never got to use the special rainbow and butterfly pencils she had picked out as her special 1st day of school treat.:glare:

I bought 3 packs of the precut ones at the dollar store for the kids desks in my livingroom. Before the balls the feet of teh desks were cutting up my tiles (lino tiles), not anymore, now they move easily, quietly and without wrecking the floor. They are a very good thing to have. I was even able to get them in blue to match my livingroom colors :)

They are cool, no? Simple solution to a problem that can be tough for some folks. :) I often wonder who thought of using halved tennis balls on the feet of school chairs? It's brilliant in it's simplcity!

Doesn't surprise me a bit. When we lived in FL a family friend of ours worked for the (2nd largest) county school system as a painter and occasional maintainence man. He told us that the county was not allowed to throw undamaged books away, so the way that it got around it to dispose of books was to pile them in a heap outside, soak them down good with the hose, cover them with visqueen and let the hot FL sun do the rest. The then, ruined books could be "legally" tossed (and new books could be ordered to replace them). I was also told that if the schools didn't spend every penny of their budget each year then the school would not receive as much for their budget the following year...that led to the practice of wanton waste only to preserve the priveledge to spend more.

True story.

Geo

I have a friend that works for the military school system. She told me the school was not allowed to give away the perfectly good books they no longer needed. They were required to throw them away at the end of the year!

Also, on the fundraiser bit, my dd only spent 3 months in a public K class. In that time she had 3 fundraisers to sell things and 4 different Scholastic book sale flyers sent home. Do they really expect kindergarteners to go door to door to sell things for these fundraisers??? It's the parents who end up having to sell the stuff or buy it themselves. The only fundraiser I ever had to do in ps was for our 8th grade trip to Six Flags.

What is your tax burden for education?

My problem is we pay a LOT in taxes for education (which we lose if we home school b/c we still have to pay).

Repeat thought that comes up yearly...imagine if I had that money for school!

we don't have a school tax like you guys have.

the schools are mostly funded form general revenue from the government. which is made up of a mixture of general tax, and selling off our country's resources.

Wow! I am 41yo and went k-12 in ps all over the nation. I was never once expected to buy supplies in excess of what I personally wanted to use.

My kids have attended public elementary school in RI and VT and we have never been given a list of school supplies to buy. Truth be told, I kind of miss it, and I remember the fun of shopping for new supplies when I was growing up. (Instead, I buy them new school supplies for doing homework.)

When I have asked the teachers if they are sure they don't need anything, they suggest I buy some facial tissue or cough drops, as those are things they tend to run low on during the winter.

My 7th grader did need school supplies last year (some notebooks, pens and pencils, paper, dividers, a ruler, and a calculator) but they were his to keep and there wasn't anything excessive on the list.

That's the case here too. A friend of mine emailed a couple of weeks ago. Her mother teaches PS and is supposed to toss all of the extras, but she just can't do it. She wanted to know who would be interested in getting some of it!!

When my kids were in public school, they sent out a list of very specifc brands and colors. It usually ended up being $50-$100 per grade. The list was about 3X what each kid needed because they factored in that 70% of our students were free or reduced lunch and didn't even try to send anything in. You were not allowed to write your name on anything. If you did, you had to buy it all over. Everything was pooled. We only had one teacher that sent home unused supplies (spread among all students whether used or not). Last year, DD needed a black marble composition book. The only store that had them in stock was Staples and they wanted $4 for one! I had a rain check for $.50 for them at another store but they wouldn't be in for a few weeks. I refused to buy it until then because year after year, dd would bring home notebooks with no more than 10 pages written in (Send in 5, get back 3 with 10 or less pages written in -never knew where the other 2 went as they were not used). Her teacher was very aggravated with me over this and ended up "buying one for her".