Menu

I love Barnes & Noble!!

I finally got up the nerve to apply for a barnes & noble teacher discount card (the ones in my area are notoriously homeschool unfriendly).

So I get the card and it is only good for 3 months. I thought it was odd and was dreading having to go through the same process in 3 months.

I go to a different Barnes & Noble yesterday and am shocked to discover they have a whole homeschooling section!!!

I pick out the books we want and go to pay, showing my discount card.

They give me a new card (like a credit card, my old one was paper) that is good for 2 years and I can use it for online purchases also!!

Let the shopping begin!

Edited by gingersmom

They're transitioning over to a new system for the cards. I used my old card yesterday and got a lecture about how I need to bring in my "Teacher ID" so that I can get the new card, and "as a favor," they'll use my old card "just this once," even though I don't have any "Teacher ID." The one woman was just as clueless as me but her coworker was relentless.

I had just used the old card at a different store two days before and got no comment or interrogation.

They're transitioning over to a new system for the cards. I used my old card yesterday and got a lecture about how I need to bring in my "Teacher ID" so that I can get the new card, and "as a favor," they'll use my old card "just this once," even though I don't have any "Teacher ID." The one woman was just as clueless as me but her coworker was relentless.

I had just used the old card at a different store two days before and got no comment or interrogation.

patchfire,

check your PM. I wrote about the Mothering magazines. :)

Some stores are ahead of others in the transitioning process.

Last year's cards are good until October. This is the first year I'll actually have proof of homeschooling (Oregon doesn't require an NOI until the child turns 7 by September).

Gingersmom, I glad you found a Barnes and Nobles that has a homeschooling section. In NYC, this section was common. What I absolutely love about the store. during the summer is their summer reading program that gives the children a free book as a reward for reading 8 books. It's still going on now and doesn't expire until Sept. 7, 2009. So the kids still have time to put in the reading.

Hope you can make use of my information, if you didn't know already.

I go to a different Barnes & Noble yesterday and am shocked to discover they have a whole homeschooling section!!!

What town was this in? I've never seen a homeschooling section in a regular Barnes & Noble, but I do have to drive through NY, NJ or PA next week and would love to stop at one if it's at all on the way.

Wow, the cashier I had in Houston must have transferred to your state. :lol::lol: She questioned everything I purchased even the Flashkids reading workbook. Duh!

Wow, I haven't had to purchase anything at B&N in awhile, so didn't know there was a problem.

I just wanted to add that I recently needed something at Borders and picked up a teacher's card while I was there. I was buying a craft kit as a bday gift for my dd, and they gave me my teacher discount on it. They said the only things not included were magazines and cafe purchases. I was surprised, knowing that B&N would not have given me that discount unless I had a certain nice cashier. So I will be doing more shopping there. Just wanted to put it out there....

My B&N gives me the discount on any book I purchase. I have never had anyone question me. As a matter of fact, I actually had an expired card for about six months, and used it several times. I knew it was expired, but everytime I went, I forgot to bring my HSing Letter. Figured if they questioned my on that trip, I would just miss my discount that time...my own fault. Never did get questioned, and finally got a new card six months after the expire date.

Guess it all depends on the cashier.

When we lived in IL, I was unable to get a B&N teachers' discount card because there is no "proofs" of homeschooling (and portfolios would not count). Borders was always great about it, but B&N looked at you like you were trash dirtying up their store.

Here I can bring in my affidavit.

Gingersmom, I glad you found a Barnes and Nobles that has a homeschooling section. In NYC, this section was common. What I absolutely love about the store. during the summer is their summer reading program that gives the children a free book as a reward for reading 8 books. It's still going on now and doesn't expire until Sept. 7, 2009. So the kids still have time to put in the reading.

Hope you can make use of my information, if you didn't know already.

Thats why we were there. To pick up our free book.

B&N is going to a new, scan-able card system this fall. You'll be able to use it online, too. My cashier was a friendly guy, but warned that they might need more "official" proof for the permanent cards... than my business card as the director of an umbrella group? :001_huh: We are considered non-public schools in MD!

We also discovered them shelving the new "educational" area earlier this week in Annapolis. The guy said they are one of 50 pilot stores. Alas, their "how to survive your classroom" section was quite large, but the actual section labeled "Homeschooling" had each shelf about 1/3 full. They did have Writing With Ease, though! Most of the rest was workbooks like the ones the teacher supply store carries, manipulatives, test prep...

B&N is going to a new, scan-able card system this fall. You'll be able to use it online, too. My cashier was a friendly guy, but warned that they might need more "official" proof for the permanent cards... than my business card as the director of an umbrella group? :001_huh: We are considered non-public schools in MD!

I'm hoping my card really is good for 2 years.

In New Jersey you just send a letter saying you are homeschooling and that's it. By the time I need to renew my letter to the board of education is going to be many many years old.

The B&N here gave me tons of trouble. I called corporate, according to them I needed letterhead or an ID card. I printed out my own ID card and took it in. The guy questioned it, I told him to call corporate hehehe. He chose not to, and I got my card. Mine doesn't have any expiration date though ????

Hm, around here, our cover school ID or an HSLDA card usually does the trick. I've still got the good-till-October card though, so not sure about any rule changes yet.

My store will ring up my 'school' purchases separate from my regular purchases, but since we have the regular card too I don't fuss too much. Every little bit helps. I do think a scannable card that can be used online will be GREAT.

All of our B&Ns are great! I live in an area that has 6. At my favorite location, they have 2 4" cases full of teacher materials, and an additional full case of homeschool. The staff have always been really nice, I have never had a problem with getting a card renewal, and the manager goes out of his way to help me find certain books I want, communicating with me via email so I don't have to make unnecessary trips in. He has also sent me emails with links to goings on, that he felt I may be interested in.

Borders here was fine, no problems. But B&N seems to cater to hsers.