Menu

Suggestions for our next read aloud?

Mogster

I am in a rut and can't decide which book should be our next read aloud. So far, we have read the following: all of the Harry Potter books, all the Roald Dahl books, Big Red, and The Lightening Thief. I would like to choose a "quality" book with more advanced vocabulary to challenge them a little (but not so much that it isn't fun). Any ideas?

I am in a rut and can't decide which book should be our next read aloud. So far, we have read the following: all of the Harry Potter books, all the Roald Dahl books, Big Red, and The Lightening Thief. I would like to choose a "quality" book with more advanced vocabulary to challenge them a little (but not so much that it isn't fun). Any ideas?

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but we're reading The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo. My dc LOVE it. It's the story of a mouse who falls in love with a princess of the castle he lives in, and his adventures. There's a lot more to the story, of course, but this is just a suggestion. There are also vocab words in it that the author actually asks, "Reader, do you know what.....means?" My dc like to go look up the words if they don't! Hope that helps a bit.

Have you read the Lord of the Rings series, yet? How about the Simarillion? Or some of Tolkien's other works in follow-up, like the Tom Bombadil stories, etc.?

Lewis' Narnia series? Prince Caspian comes out this summer......

Spiderwick (although I think the language is simpler) Chronicles? The movie is out and I thought it good (we haven't read those books yet).....

Redwall series? It goes on forever, LOL..... I get sort of tired of the name calling after a while, but they are rip roaring good fun.....

Arthurian legend? There are a ton of good choices from which to choose....

Regena

I can second A Little Princess and Secret Garden. Since you have a boy, Secret Garden might be a good option. The boy, Dicken, speaks in a Yorkshire dialect, has a fabulous way with animals, and is kind and good. The girl is very unhappy in the beginning (lousy parenting), but comes into her own thru nurturing a garden. There's also a horrid boy who is unhappy, too--afraid he'll turn into a "hunchback" like his father. Great book. Lovely vocab. Beautiful descriptions.

We are currently on our way thru Heidi, this time reading the original. We had a very good version before, but it was slightly abridged. The first chapter is a little ponderous, but written beautifully.

Caddie Woodlawn is a great fav, too--she has been raised "wild" like a boy for health reasons in the Wisconsin frontier, during the Civil War. She gets into many scrapes with her two brothers, who are wonderfully adventurous. We love the Little House books, but Caddie is written at a higher level, and very much a "living" book. Highly recommend.

Because Lightning Thief was on your list, how about these other sci fi/fantasy series (all of us enjoy these from my 9yo on up to me):

Sea of Monsters/Titan's Curse - also in the Lightning Thief series

Children of the Lamp series by P.B.Kerr - definitely some advanced vocabulary here

City of Ember/People of Sparks/Prophet of Yonwood by DuPrau

LionBoy series by Corder

Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Wrede

Artemis Fowl series by Colfer (I'd probably wait until they're both at least 4th grade for this one, but my 4th grader said it HAD to be on the list)

Our current read-aloud is "Black Beauty" which I think would appeal to a boy and a girl. The vocabulary is not insanely challenging but is not at all dumbed down. There are many moral lessons about kindness to both animals and people that have had a big impact on my dd8. I did not expect to enjoy this as much as we are.

Despereaux is also a fantastic book.

Our favorites (besides Raold Dahl and the Harry Potter books, because you already have that!) have included:

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George (my DS6.5 just LOVES this book, and anything by this author, it's very out-doorsy!)

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie (you wouldn't believe the vocabulary in this book, but since most kids are already familiar with the story, comprehension really shouldn't be a problem)

The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynn Reid Banks

The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Holling C. Holling books like "Paddle To The Sea" - this book looks short but it is very very detailed.

Melisa

We're currently reading the Swiss Family Robinson. Some others that we've liked are: The 21 Balloons --William Pene Du Bois

Anything by Marguerite Henry

ditto: E.B. White

The Little House Series

the Mary Poppins books--P.L. Travers

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew--Margaret Sidney

The Chronicles of Narnia--C.S. Lewis

Good luck!

Shannon