Menu

How important is high school band for a flute player? Composer?...

My ds plays piano and flute. He started flute last winter and his flute teacher is strongly encouraging him to take band at the local high school this fall. She said that she usually doesn't teach high school players that are not in band.

Is band really necessary this fall? I'm already feeling maxed out, and the year has not begun! Band is 5 days a week, concerts, pep band, etc.- and it's right in the middle of the school day 15 minutes away from home.

Are there other ways to develop the same skills?

I've looked into the homeschool bands. They are 30 minutes to an hour once a week plus concerts- that's quite a difference in time playing with others. Would something like this be enough?

Flute ensemble at a music school?

I'm sure it depends on what ds is hoping to achieve. He is very interested in composing. I'm not a musician and feeling a bit clueless in guiding him.

What advice would you give?

Thanks!

I would think a homeschool band would be quite enough ensemble experience for now. If he is looking for more opportunities there might also be small church or community orchestras and area youth symphonies (which would require an audition to get into). But daily band seems unnecessary at this point in time.

For composition and learning how to arrange music, nothing beats piano. Piano will help get him grounded in music theory and chord structure and progression, especially if he has a teacher who will help him develop this. Playing flute in an ensemble will develop a different set of skills -- how to listen and keep time and blend with the whole group, and will help him develop his ear -- learning to hear when he is on pitch.

I am a violinist and teacher of violin, and yes ensemble experience is important because violin, like flute, is most often an ensemble instrument which requires a unique set of skills. But I'd never insist on a student finding a group that meets daily!

Daily rehearsal is actually NOT the norm for ensemble playing. I think it's artificially induced by they typical school schedule. Once or twice a week is more normal.

I play in a church orchestra the rehearses twice a week and performs once. We have lots of high school players. I was not a member of this church before I joined the group, either. Could there be something like that?

I have a problem with the teacher saying she doesn't usually teach high schoolers not in band. Who cares if he's in the band? If she thinks ensemble experience would be good for him, that's one thing. But implying she doesn't want to teach him because of that? That's just silly!

It lasted a week. Dd plays harp and every teacher and prof we spoke with said orchestra was essential. But the daily grind (middle of the day), the wasted time while the conductor yelled at kids, waited for everyone to get their music together, etc. was awful.

Dd ended up trying out for a youth orchestra and got in. It met for 2 hours once a week, and along with the private lessons, her skills improved immensely--both as a soloist and playing with a group. This year (10th grade coming up) she's in that one and tried out for another one that meets on Saturday and also requires a chamber music group--so Saturday is shot!

I don't think you have to plunge in with the most work possible. If your child does decide to go for a music major/conservatory, it WILL matter whether they've played in an ensemble for a significant amount of time (but not necessarily 4 years), but what counts is the audition.

Also, you might want to augment with some summer music camp experience.

Danielle

to playing in a band. I don't think it matters whether it is a high school band, home school band, community band, or church band. I have a trumpet player who, until this summer, had never played in a band before. We joined the DC Youth Orchestra Program and not only has he thoroughly enjoyed it, he increased his practice time, his timing has improved, and he has gained experience in performing in front of an audience. He benefited in other ways too, but these were most evident. We will either re-register for the coming year or join our community band. (Thanks to all who helped me find these outlets).

I do understand why the music instructor wants your daughter to join a band/orchestra/ensemble. I can also understand that you don't want to add any other time commitments. But....if music is what your dc wants to do, joining a band/orchestra/ensemble won't hurt. Just my two cents.

High school band is not important. Playing in a band for a band instrument is very good once they are past beginner. Except for the logistics of public school scheduling and teacher availability, I don't understand the whole idea of throwing beginners straight away in band. I tried that route with my son with a homeschool band program and it failed. With my youngest, I had her take trumpet lessons for 1 1/2 years and this year she will be in homeschool band. She really had to learn the instrument first.

I would recommend looking into community bands, church ensembles, and community colleges. SInce you child is high school age, they may be allowed to dual enroll in a band class at the CC. Those usually meet only once a week.

I would recommend looking into community bands, church ensembles, and community colleges. SInce you child is high school age, they may be allowed to dual enroll in a band class at the CC. Those usually meet only once a week.

I agree.

You might also look for Schmidt homeschool bands and other homeschool groups.

Also, if you get a really excellent teacher, she may have opportunities such as summer flute camp, adult flute ensembles, duet playing with the teacher during class, recitals, and more.

Some high school band teachers also offer individual lessons on the side or summer marching band opportunities.

Daily public school is a headache with not enough reward -- we've done it.

Julie

Dd joined the community orchestra after one year of instruction in flute. We're a small community, so they aren't terribly picky. It was a wonderful experience for her. Everyone had a spirit of helpfulness toward each other. Practices were only once a week. Just a thought for you.

My daughter is a singer. For ninth grade we packed up the car every day and drove her to the high school for a one hour class. Then I would pack up the car again and drive back to get her. It was a pain in the middle of the morning but a valuable experience for her. She loved it and ended up with an outstanding freshman award at the end of the year.

We are doing it again this year only she'll be driving the second semester. Yeah. For her it was a positive experience getting to do All County, Solo and Ensemble and State competitions. She is one of several homeschoolers who have this arrangement. The chorus director has been great and is very accommodating.

As a former music eductor (secondary), in the great state of Texas, I would say that if your son is serious about music and the music programs in your area are competitive (as they are here in the cities of Texas), you would seriously consider participating in the band program.

We do have homeschool band here, but they are quite a few steps down in quality than the public school programs. The homeschool bands could never tackle the same difficulty of music as the ps band programs. (When I was a hs band student at ps in Lousiana, for instance, our contest piece was the same piece that a junior high program here in the DFW area played for contest...and the jh played it much, much, better). The reason for this is the fact that the homeschool bands only meet once a week for an hour or so, whereas the ps bands meet for about 6-15 hours a week (depending on season). Also, the 4 and 5A schools have well trained and experienced band directors (as many as 4 on staff), a staff of private instructors, and other support people such as color guard and drum line instructors, drill writers, music arrangers, and large parent booster organizations to make it all happen.

I taught private percussion and the students I taught at the school ran circles around the ones who came to my home and were not enrolled in a band program.

In addition to the quality of the program, there are the other aspects another poster mentioned: solo and ensemble, region and state marching and concert contest, all-region and all-state band. If your son is serious about music, and is thinking of going into music in some capacity in college, those credits look really good on his application. They also may help him "run into" instructors at the college level who could offer scholarship money (many of the clinicians at these events are college directors, and many of the secondary music teachers and college directors know each other).

We are in the same boat, actually. Our son is an accomplished singer (not musician...yet) and the head of fine arts for a local district asked if we would consider putting him at one of her high schools so he could do all the aforementioned things. I don't think I'll do it this year, since I think high school is going to offer him enough challenge this year (and he's very involved in community theater), but will visit the issue for the next three.

Hope this helps,

wendy

My ds plays piano and flute. He started flute last winter and his flute teacher is strongly encouraging him to take band at the local high school this fall. She said that she usually doesn't teach high school players that are not in band.

Is band really necessary this fall? I'm already feeling maxed out, and the year has not begun! Band is 5 days a week, concerts, pep band, etc.- and it's right in the middle of the school day 15 minutes away from home.

Are there other ways to develop the same skills?

I've looked into the homeschool bands. They are 30 minutes to an hour once a week plus concerts- that's quite a difference in time playing with others. Would something like this be enough?

Flute ensemble at a music school?

I'm sure it depends on what ds is hoping to achieve. He is very interested in composing. I'm not a musician and feeling a bit clueless in guiding him.

What advice would you give?

Thanks!

What about taking college music courses? Our local CC offers a music degree and courses include group class lesson, private lessons, ensembles, and full band. Students have to audition for placement but otherwise all students accepted into the college can take these courses.