Menu

What is Southern California coming too? Wood Burning Fireplaces are banned (more)

Actually I lived in California for 32 years.

You must not have lived in any of the places I have if you believe that we can live without vehicles here. :) (I am not trying to argue with you or make you upset - I am in discussion mode here, nothing else.) I have lived in many parts of the state and very few of them could honestly do well at all without vehicles. The public transportation systems here are not well done or well cared for. When my dh has taken PT to work it takes him a good extra hour or more each way, is smelly with urine, and is filled with germs. It is not much of a motivator.

By the way, the idea of living on an island really *does* appeal to me. :)

I lived in Southern California for 25 of those years (LA and San Diego).

I used public transit when I was in LA (as a teenager, about a thousand years ago). My father walked to work. My parents deliberately structured their lives so that they didn't have to rely on a car for the day to day commute (to either school or work). We did use the car for other things though.

Then I lived in Santa Cruz for several years. There, too, I used either public transit or rode a bike. It was very easy to live in Santa Cruz without a car and though I did it as a student, I think I could also do it with a family.

Then I lived in the San Diego area. At this point I owned a car, but one year my husband and I commuted to work (9 miles away) by bike. It was great!

Actually, I drive much more living on this island that I ever did when living in California.

The time is coming when people will need to restructure their lives to accomodate the need to drive less. I figured that by banning cars California could get a jump on being a leader in this regard.:)

The time is coming when people will need to restructure their lives to accomodate the need to drive less. I figured that by banning cars California could get a jump on being a leader in this regard.:)

LOL, well, I guess all I can say is that I am glad you are not a current voter in CA then! LOL I really do like our vehicle and the freedom it gives us. When I lived in London I loved that I could walk or tube anywhere, and I did. It was lovely not to have a car. It is just not that way in this area. (I live in the Sacramento area.) There are some PT systems in place, but nothing remotely usable for a family that is both safe and even somewhat clean. I wish there was.

I just think it is not a workable model to expect all the world to conform to no vehicle use. To make the vehicles more environment-friendly? Absolutely--there I could agree.