Menu

How do you balance the schedules of multiple kids?

Kathie in VA

I have 4 kiddos: 13yo dd in 7th, 11yo ds in 6th, 8yo ds in 2nd+, and 3yo dd.

I'm having a hard time getting to each kid. My oldest is complaining that I don't give her enough time... and she may be right. Right now we basically follow a schedule where each do their own thing in the morning. I bounce between them for the beginning of each one's subject to ensure they know what to do or teach the lesson etc. Although it's hard to stay focused with the 3yo. She is still potty training and wanting attention. Sometimes when I stop to deal with her issues, I don't get back to the right kid before another one is ready for me. ug. I do send the 8yo boy to deal with the 3yo at times but he has stuff to do also. There are other interruptions besides the little too. Then there's the cases where one needs me longer then expected and the other is waiting.

I'm starting to think that maybe we need a different type of schedule. Perhaps a 1/2 hr or hr of Mom time per kid. If it's not their time to work with me then they must work on their own, holding all questions till it's their time with me. I'll have to line up work they can do on their own while waiting, but all are reading so that can always be a standby. Memory work is also another standby.

What do ya think? Has anyone else tried something like this? If not, what else do you do?

tia

It's a juggling act, isn't it? We do our 'easy' subjects--phonics, math, handwriting, spelling--in the mornings. The kids are able to do these on their own with very little help. While they're doing those things I might do a reading or math lesson with my youngest.

When they're done I might sit my oldest down and have her read independently while my middle and I do a grammar lesson. Then he might go do some free reading while my oldest and I do grammar. Or I can send her to practice the violin while I do history with my middle.

I just try to keep activities in the wings that the other kids can do on their own while I'm working with whoever needs me.

I think that free reading or memory work sounds like a great way to keep kids occupied while you're busy with one of them. Maybe having game hour after lunch could work too? You could use games like Boggle, Scrabble, chess, etc and they can play together while you work one-on-one.

That's what I do. Monday and Wednesday mornings are spent primarily with my 14yo, while the younger two do work that requires little help from Mom. Those afternoons (and Friday afternoon after co-op) the 14yo works on independent work...IEW, LL, Apologia science, or history, while I teach writing, geography, and other subjects to the younger two. I switch on Tuesdays and Thursdays to helping the younger two in the morning, with independent work for them in the afternoon. The 14yo works on algebra, spelling, and grammar those mornings. The exception is Latin, which I juggle between the kids on a daily basis. It works well for us.

Cathy

So far my most challenging homeschool years has been the ones with a toddler in the mix (from the time he was mobile until about 4-years old). Your plan sounds a lot like the Manager of Their Home schedule that I use. Teri Maxwell does recommend scheduling one-on-one time with mom and even one-on-one time between the older and younger children. (http://www.titus2.com/ecommerce/products/prod_listing.php/1100)

Now that all of my boys are school-age, homeschooling has become a bit easier. However, I still feel the pressure of everyone needing my attention at once. To alleviate this a bit, I have 3 subjects that I teach to both of my older boys at the same level. I also keep a lot of manipulatives on hand to keep my youngest occupied if I need some extra time (puzzles, bead work, pattern blocks, geometric shapes, balance scale, geo boards, etc.)

HTH!

I have my boys keep a book they are reading, Latin flashcards, writing that they are recopying, or something that the can do independently with them at their work area. This is what they are to do if they have a questions while I a working with the other one. It is just so nonproductive to bounce back and forth between them so I don't allow them to interupt the other's instruction time. I have their schedule slightly staggered so that I can spend 15 to 20 minutes of instruction time with each one.

I have 4 kiddos: 13yo dd in 7th, 11yo ds in 6th, 8yo ds in 2nd+, and 3yo dd. . . . I'll have to line up work they can do on their own while waiting, but all are reading so that can always be a standby. Memory work is also another standby. . . . What do ya think? Has anyone else tried something like this? If not, what else do you do?

It's counterintuitive, but I added work. I felt that the worst problem arose from having to rush from one kid to another, or when kids would get distracted wander away from schoolwork to get involved with something else. We needed fillers. When I had a 4yo learning to read and wanting to do math, a 6yo doing a full schedule, and an 8yo, I dug out Math-It, subscribed to Time4Learning, and installed Spongebob Typing and similar extras. This way they had something educational to keep them from getting frustrated with having to wait. Because these programs were non-essential extras, I didn't worry about telling them to just forget about it if they claimed they needed help. It added about two hours to our school day, but it was worth it. The kids were more content, more productive, and I was less frazzled by the juggling.

I'm starting to think that maybe we need a different type of schedule. Perhaps a 1/2 hr or hr of Mom time per kid. If it's not their time to work with me then they must work on their own, holding all questions till it's their time with me. I'll have to line up work they can do on their own while waiting, but all are reading so that can always be a standby. Memory work is also another standby.

What do ya think? Has anyone else tried something like this? If not, what else do you do?

tia

This is exactly what we do. I use the book Managers of Their Homes as a guide for the schedule. When I started the year, I made a list of all of the subjects that I wanted my two DD to complete with a note of how much time per day and how many days per week. Beside each subject I made a note of which required one-on-one teaching with me, which required a brief explanation from me and then could be done independently, and which could be done totally independently. Then I set up my 30 minute blocks. Here is the last schedule that I posted on my blog to give you an idea. I've changed one or two things on it, but it is essentially very close to what we do each day.

I've found this to be a great help with my 3yo as well. He has a scheduled preschool time with me 30 minutes after breakfast (once I've gotten my DDs started on their work). Each of my DDs also gets a 30 minute break from school to play with their younger brother while I work one on one with the other DD. It's a great way for my girls to spend time developing a good sibling relationship with their brother, and it helps to keep my 3yo from wandering around the house getting into trouble.

HTH

I wanted to let you know that I will post later, b/c I have PROMISED my kids this weekend to make a schedule. We are having exactly the problems you are. My dc are 13yo grade 7, 11yo grade 5, 6yo grade 1, and 2yo. We have had a dreadful year, really - very disjointed, lots of independent work but not all the instruction the kids need, that sort of thing. My children are the ones begging for a schedule - my 11yo told me school was fun when we had a schedule and lots of work to do, and he has never been one to like school!

Anyway - I am working on a MOTH type schedule this weekend, and I will post it later, then post again in a few weeks to say how it's going.

One thing I think is critical is one-on-one time w/ the youngest, b/c at my house, the 2yo gets really disruptive if he hasn't had some age-appropriate play time with me. Plus, it really isn't fair not to give him that. The ones here who tend to get neglected are my oldest (b/c she can do the most independently, but I know I need to be spending more time with her), and the youngest (b/c he *seems* least scheduled, although I know how beneficial and enjoyable it was for my others at that age to get the park/block/reading/play-doh/etc. time).

Hang in there!

Shelly

Thank you all for your great advice. A few of you mentioned the MOH book. I wonder if this would really help me. I make schedules on excel all the time. I do consider things like what needs to be done, by whom, and about how long it should take. You should see the cleaning schedule I've just finnished... it's really scary but it has everything in it (morning routines, evening routines, daily, weekly, 2x/wk, monthly, 2x/mo, and even yearly plans). I like the idea of changing around our homeschool schedule based on Mom's available time and a break down of their work (need mom to do, need mom to start, can do on own). So, do you think I should still consider getting Managers of their Home? Does it have some great info that you think I could use??

TIA

I schedule a block of time first thing in the morning for my oldest kids. This is a time to go over their work from yesterday, go over the day's assignments and offer help if they need it. During this time, the younger ones do independent work such as vocab, reading etc. Once I am done with each of the oldest, I move on to 1 on 1 with the youngers.

Would it help to add a rule saying "One may only ask Mum if no one else can help you work it out!" Your older two may be able to brainstorm solutions between them. Often kids ask for attention to confirm their ideas, not because they actually need help. If you can encourage them to look to each other for that kind of validation, it'll free you up! Anyone with reasonable literacy skills should keep a notepad next to them to write down any questions they have, so they can continue to work, confident that they aren't going to forget to ask you. Perhaps setting half a days worth of work at a time will help. If they absolutely can't move forward with their grammar until you've helped, they can switch to maths or something until you are ready.

Rosie

and I've done this the last 3. Every night before bed we do reading and phonics. This seems like a bad time, but it is a time when the distractions are gone and it is quiet. We cuddle up on my bed and he reads to me. He has phonics workbooks he does during the day without a lot of help from me, but this time is special. You can use an afterdinner time to teach a math lesson, or work on grammar or anything. I start my oldest 2 first before the youngers even wake up and that helps. There is no magic formula for juggling four. I did make it a habit to begin with whatever subject I dropped accidentally the day before. Checklists are my saving grace. With weekly checklists I don't have to keep in my mind what subjects each child has accomplished. I make my checklists on Sunday nights and have all the papers ready to go. Having my house as clean as possible (ha, ha) is another trick of mine. I houseclean in the evenings for the next day. Everyone keeps their books in a bookbag or basket so they aren't lost and can be taken around the house. Keeping organized saves immense amounts of time. I try to keep the oldest ones working without a break until lunch knowing that the more they accomplish before lunch, the more chance we'll finish in a timely manner. Having the littlest child play with the second youngest means your second youngest will have a longer day, but remember he/she has the least work to do and I do some of that at night! Finally, with 7th grade I passed some of the responsibility over to dad! That has been my most helpful item- he is quality control for the 7th grader.

Oh, and do try to get enough sleep, and exercise.