Menu

We finally started Barton...

The last time my dd8 took the screening test, she almost passed it but not quite. We finished up 100EZL. She made great progress with 100EZL, but it didn't translate to a 2nd grade reading level when we finished. I decided to go ahead and start Barton level 1 and then give her the screening test again afterward to see if we could go on to level 2 or go back to LiPS. Well, after 2 weeks of Barton level 1, her reading is taking off. She can read all of the first Little Bear book, and she read most of the problems in her Singapore math lesson today by herself. I am so excited!

:party:

The last time my dd8 took the screening test, she almost passed it but not quite. We finished up 100EZL. She made great progress with 100EZL, but it didn't translate to a 2nd grade reading level when we finished. I decided to go ahead and start Barton level 1 and then give her the screening test again afterward to see if we could go on to level 2 or go back to LiPS. Well, after 2 weeks of Barton level 1, her reading is taking off. She can read all of the first Little Bear book, and she read most of the problems in her Singapore math lesson today by herself. I am so excited!

:party:

Woo hoo!

Could she read 100 EZL? I am a visual dyslexic and just looking at the page gives me an instant headache. :001_huh: But that is beside the point. I am glad to hear she is taking off. That gives me hope. My ds is doing LiPS and while he is learning the sounds he also seems to forget them just as quickly sometimes. :banghead: You never know what will click with kiddos. I had to copy some LiPS stuff and for the fun of it I decided to use orange paper because it is my ds favorite color. He loved it so much he took it to bed with him to practice with. :blink: If I had known all it took was using the color orange I would have done so a year ago when we started. Sheesh, they keep you guessing...

Heather

Woo hoo!

Could she read 100 EZL? I am a visual dyslexic and just looking at the page gives me an instant headache. :001_huh: But that is beside the point. I am glad to hear she is taking off. That gives me hope. My ds is doing LiPS and while he is learning the sounds he also seems to forget them just as quickly sometimes. :banghead: You never know what will click with kiddos. I had to copy some LiPS stuff and for the fun of it I decided to use orange paper because it is my ds favorite color. He loved it so much he took it to bed with him to practice with. :blink: If I had known all it took was using the color orange I would have done so a year ago when we started. Sheesh, they keep you guessing...

Heather

100EZL is the only program she made any progress with prior to Barton. At one point we had tried Phonics Pathways and there was just way too much information on each page. She is an auditory dyslexic, and the visual support in 100EZL really helped her, along with the phonemic awareness work and the way they teach blending.

We did some work with LiPS before 100EZL and that was helpful too. In one of her 100EZL lessons, she had the word ruck, but she kept saying rook and couldn't hear the difference. Finally I felt my jaw to feel the difference in how the 2 vowel sounds are made. I told her to drop her jaw way down to say ruck, and it came out perfectly. Without LiPS, I wouldn't have thought to do that.

We probably didn't go as far in LiPS as we should have, but I found it somewhat challenging to teach. She is doing so well with Barton that I really think she'll be able to pass the screening test with no problems after we finish level 1. If so, we'll go on to level 2. If not, we'll go back to LiPS but I might check into having a speech therapist do it with her. I found one 45 minutes away, and I think there's a good chance our insurance will cover it if it's coded as therapy for her lingering articulation issues.

That is awesome that your son liked the orange pages so much. Maybe I should try some things like that just for variety.

How old is your son?

Elizabeth,

He is 6.5. I have been doing LiPS with him now for about a year, and he has made a lot of progress, but he still has a ways to go with his speech. I think part of it is just practice. When you are used to doing something wrong it is easier to do it that way. It takes a lot of practice to learn to do it the right way...sigh. I also need to try the Barton screening again to see if he can pass now.

LiPS is a program I love and hate. It does have some good scripts, but then after the initial introduction they leave it so open ended. Ok what now? I mean they have all the games and such listed, but some of that takes modification, and you have to choose. I want a schedule that tells me what to do when. I wouldn't follow it, but I really need to have something that tells me what to do first so I can decide how to modify it to fit us. :smilielol5: Figuring it out on my own is not fun. :glare:

I really want to just jump into Barton's though. I think he is capable of more than he is letting on because he is board.

Heather

Elizabeth,

He is 6.5. I have been doing LiPS with him now for about a year, and he has made a lot of progress, but he still has a ways to go with his speech. I think part of it is just practice. When you are used to doing something wrong it is easier to do it that way. It takes a lot of practice to learn to do it the right way...sigh. I also need to try the Barton screening again to see if he can pass now.

There is a huge difference in my dd at 8 yo vs. 6.5 yo. At 6.5, she was not yet exhibiting any reading readiness. I could barely get her to sit still for 10 minutes of schoolwork. At age 7, she was tested for APD. When my 13 yo was tested for APD, we knew nothing until the follow up appt. With dd8, the audiologist didn't even have to score the results; she told me immediately to go ahead and schedule comprehensive educational testing. Dd couldn't pass any part of the evaluation. This was after 3 years of speech therapy which you would think would have indirectly helped with phonemic awareness and auditory discrimination. It's hard to believe that was only a year ago. She is really starting to take off now. It's not just reading either. She has a greater ability to grasp abstract concepts in general, and her gifts in math and music are really starting to shine.